• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 09, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. I have gotten good service out of my 6x12 angle iron trailer, but it just isn't quite big enough any more.

Mike,

Hmmmm, another F-150 fan....seems like our trucks are almost twins!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Kurt,

Sorry, this trailer doesn't like diesel smoke......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Denny,

I called the insurance man on the way home from the dealer with the VIN to add it to my comprehensive policy. It currently is in the drive as the lawn is too soft to get to it's permenant parking spot, but it has a coupler lock installed (tightly) and the rear wheels are chained to eachother. It's normal spot has a nice big chain for locking it to the concrete shed floor.

I originally was going to put the winch in the box, but the tongue ended up being too tight for a full cross box, so I had to go with the bed rail box instead. I had to give up 8" of deck space to prevent knuckle bustiing on the jack handle as it is. Rear braces for the box corners are made and painted, just waiting for dry weather to install, as are the 12 recessed tie-downs. The good news is that the winch clears the box by about 1/4", and the winch must be lifted straight up about 3 inches to be removed, so the box keeps the winch safe from theft, (and out of most of the weather. Wiring and battery will be in the center of the box and the sides will hold straps, bungees, jack, lug wrench, cribing, etc.

Steve old buddy, old pal. Wanna break in the trailer? Road trip? I am picking up two more 446s this weekend. One in Vandalia Il.and one in Columbia Mo. I picked up a third one this past weekend up by Rockford. That one goes to the shop on weds. to get valves,springs and a very lumpy cam.

With the great weather we had last weekend, I was able to get most of the trailer "customization" completed.

12 tie-downs are in the floor, all bolted with 2 bolts through cross members. Floor was sealed with weather sealant before the tie-downs were bolted in.

Winch is wired up, battery installed, straps stowed, etc. The left side of the box has a tire iron, jack, cribing, some tools, rubber mat, and bungees. Right side is all tie-down straps. Winch battery is wired to charge off of the RV 7-pin and the winch relay is on a rocker switch to prevent battery bleed down. I may add a small 12v dome light on a switch as well for night time loading and possibly a deck light.

I need to adjust the brakes, make a tailgate, and install a few lock-down pins for the ramps, etc. before PD, but otherwise the new ride is good to go!!!!!

119660.jpg

119661.jpg

119662.jpg

119663.jpg

119664.jpg

Steve,

the trailer looks great. Unfortunately, you have made work for me though. After seeing your modifications I am going to have to work on my trailer some this summer. Definately some great imrovements. I think I would put something in front of the winch to protect it from road spray though. Especially, if you ever get to running it in the winter. Just some 1x6 decking or some aluminum diamond plate to match your box. The other thing I didn't like about the PJ Trailers was the mounting of the license plate. I knew I would remove that on a step approach some day. I made a mount and bolted it where the fender mounts on the left side. It has worked well so far. I'll try to get a picture tonight.

Steve,

Here is a pic of my license plate mount. Haven't had any problems with it here and it even works like a mud flap.

123226.jpg

Steve-
I agree with the others, VERY nice!
thumbsup.gif

I see a rubber housed work-light mounted on the decking under that bed rail box in your future.
happy.gif

You could wire it up off the battery and shoot it right out the back of the trailer for night-time cub stalking. <font size="-2">(Or to tick off HUGH if he's ever behind you...)</font>

Big Steve's rig was pulling the trailer at PD because my gray F-150 was replaced by it's younger brother....

149580.jpg

149581.jpg

The other truck had very high mileage for it's age and the dealer was VERY serious about dealing on new trucks (lots of new on his lot, not many good used, not many customers as of late.....).

I was going to bring it to PD, but due to some issues with the deal didn;t get it picked up until Friday morning (30 min. before dad and I left for IA....)

BTW, If you have an '04-'08 F-150 check out the Off Topic Classified ads...

Ran to Chicago over the weekend to pickup my new to me 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Off Road. All kinds of pulling power now!
152613.jpg

Here is my cub hauler.
153450.jpg

It's a 2001 Ford F-150 7700 Series. Which means it has the f250 suspension and 7-Lug Front and Rear Axles.5.4 Liter V-8. Plenty of power for the cubs.

My hauler is a 2WD that thinks 4W. I guess this is why I baught the basic, no-frill worker.

ok ive got a question for all you guys that know about lost titles, im looking at a nice older dodge in what i wouls say is in great shape for the age (1979) the ad says it was a fire dept truck so it doesnt have a title, that didnt really make sence to me but then again i not famallier with this stuff (or spelling LOL) i guess my real question is how does applying for a lost title work in PA my buddy in WV got his in a week! can a title always be obtained?

Matt- I don't know the laws in Penn. about lost title replacement, as those laws are different in almost every state. However, since no one is responding yet, I'll throw up one rule that's universal.(personal experiance) No money should change hands, until you know how those laws work, in the state you're dealing, and you should also make sure the vehicle checks out on a VIN check.
This is not casting aspursions on anyone, it's just to save you headaches with the state laws. I did this with an early 50's Jeep pick-up once, that was in perfect cond. except that it had no engine, and no title. It had been sent to the wrecking yard, in Colorado, and rescued from there. The short story is that , when I contacted the state of Colo. about re issuing a title, I got back a response that that title had been turned in on a vehicle that had been destroyed, and if I had it, the state was gonna come after me for falsifying state information. Don't think you have any problems like that, but it will save you much money, in the long run, to do the research, and really know the laws you are dealing with. Good luck.

Same here I never answered cause every states different. In IL you have to do a search to see who owned it last then try to talk them into getting a lost title, or signing power of attorney over to you for a new title to be issued to you. Here if it has been stamped as salvaged it's dead. I got that far into it once and just bought anouther truck that needed all the parts this one had and swapped them. Call your DMV without telling them to much and just ask.
Matt, That truck "had" a title, even firetrucks have license plates

Many years ago I came across a 1967 Buick GS400 with Oklahoma plates and a blown engine. It was sitting in the Cedar County Iowa section of I80. It had been towed to a dealer/salvage yard. I took too long by trying to do the "right thing" and track down the Original Owner in Oklahoma. The salvage people didn't hear from me and just two days before I decided to just buy the vehicle for scrap + towing they crushed it. What I was told I should have done was buy the vehicle as salvage THEN apply for a Lost Title or Salvage Title. Another thing I could have done was to have a Sheriff's auction type of sale. I was told either way would have procured a legal and viable "new" and clear title. That was and probably still is Iowa's way of doing things.

Now as far as what Illinois does with once it is junked then it is junked.... well I've found there are nice LEGAL ways to obtain a clear title to a vehicle that has been declared salvage in Illinois. It takes a little foot work only it is worth it.

Now a little about Firetrucks and having no title. YES... that Firetruck has a title or maybe what is better known as a dealer's sale paper. JAY LENO obtained a free firetruck from a city in California a few years back. It was purchased if I recall in the 1930s or early 40s as a Film Studio set firetruck and used there. The filming company eventually gave it to the city and when the city decided they no longer needed it decided to offer it to Leno. What he discovered was the truck had never been officially turned in for a title {license) to be offically issued. ALL paperwork was honest and legal only it was never taken to be licensed. Long story short... Jay Leno became the first "Offically Licensed" owner according to the state of California. Perchance this is what happened to the firetruck that Matt is looking at. I'd say have them look through old papers they may have of purchase. Remember .... Law enforcement won't question license plates on such things as firetrucks. What may have happened is they simply took the plates off another truck they traded or sold previously.

Marlin, Is your Il. way to take a salvaged or no title to a state that issues new title as the registration (I've heard AL is one but I never did it) They just make sure the vin doesn't come back stolen, repo'd or have legal lien against it. Then bring that back to IL. and register it just like it's never been here. That or get a licensed dimantler to "rebuild" it. Il titles have thier own numbers on the title that stays with the vehicle as long as the vehicle stays in IL. To bring one back from the dead you need to get a new title # issued to it.

Here is my Cub hauler 2008 Featherlite aluminum trailer and my 05 Grand Cherokee Hemi.
url]

Pulled several Cubs home on it and will be pulling this to the racetrack as well...

url]

Back