• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through June 05, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, i almost picked up the gas treatment version of the MMO just the other day at the parts store (versus the straight MMO oil)... they should have made the labels more different looking... i mentioned this stuff to a coworker that's a pilot on the side, and he started laughing, saying that all the pilots have the MMO debate... in their case, the stuff's not approved by whoever it is in the FFA that controls inspection/approval of planes (and their engines)... so, in their case, its not only drinking the kool-aid to sign up for MMO, its drinking the kool-aid in secret... lol...

gotta get my old 129 out and rig up a platform on it for the ATV spray rig (from tractor supply) that i bought for it two years ago (and haven't used yet)... i won't be running for over two or three hours at a time, but i wonder if the starter generator and the small battery will be enough to run the pump and charge too... i bought enough angle stock the other day to basically make an ATV style platform for the back... 30gal tank, so i may be strapping weight on the front of the 129... i've been eying the posted front weight approaches... i've got this ~3ft long by about 5" by 12" ammo box that was in a bunch that dad bought and resold at one time (empty, btw
happy.gif
), and have been thinking that painting it yellow, filling it full of quickcrete, and making mounts like the mule drive mounts for it would be a good approach... i think i've seen that approach to making small weight racks on here... i've got some old farmall 100lb front weights (off dad's old 856 that he sold - and that i should have bought), but those are pretty tall to go strapping/mounting to the cub...

Russell, why not kill two birds with one stone? Find a wide frame mower deck mule drive bracket for the front of your 129. Make a mounting setup out of the mule drive to hold a full size deep cycle battery. If you use the deep cycle battery to run the sprayer you don't have to worry about the S/G charging the Cub's battery and you get some front weight.
happy.gif

Kraig, that's a pretty clever idea. I've got four wide frame mule-drives (two came with 38" deck kits from ebay, and are new or new-ish, one came with the 44" deck on the 129, and one came with the 50c deck from a off-topic successor to the 582special - which wasn't so special
happy.gif
, especially after I blew briggs smoke over the neighborhood last fall), but all of the drives are functional... guess I ought not to burn a good one up welding on it for this purpose. I've got a 149 that I need to get running again. Its really in better shape than the 129 (the 129 pretty beat up and has had lots of not-so-perfect mods for worn issues, where the 149 is all straight, with just surface rust here and there), but I just bought the 149, brought it home, nearly killed myself unloading it (note to self: never, EVER, use two planks on a truck bed, even on a terrace, ever again), and then parked it in the shed. I'd like to make the 149 a mower tractor and use the 129 for spraying. Guess I should be able to find a wide-frame mule drive thats got the pulleys gone and such. I may be asking something that I ought to search for instead, but I seem to remember reading on here that my 582-successor's quietline front axle, worn as it is, would fit under a 1x9, allowing the bigger spindles and such to work, right? I wonder if its good fortune enough that the steering arm from the sector would be usable (or if you have to do a custom-made of different length than either the 582 or 1x9 arms)?

Russell-
While I don't know that I would call Kraig "clever", he does have a good idea of using a mule drive as the start of a front weight bracket/battery holder.
happy.gif

Since you already have a few "spare" mule drives sitting around, and they are fairly common, why not use one of those as the basis of your weight bracket and either keep the good pulleys as "spares" or sell them on the forum?

Others may disagree, but in my opinion mower-deck mule drives are nothing special that would make me keep one "holy" if I needed it for a project.

Art, that's not a bad idea. I know I'd like the extra umph of a bigger battery for cranking (we did that on a rear mount box on Dad's 127, many moons ago, and it was really a whirler on the starting). I'll look over the stuff over this weekend, between working in the last of the hay baling with Dad. Would be a handy portable jump starter battery for other stuff, also.
happy.gif

A care package arrivd here today from Frank C (thanks Frank)
87447.jpg

But this is a gewl, it did take a moment to get it figred out. And i`am glade to have it for tuneing my Cubs. Who knows what its function is? lol
87448.jpg

Charlie, that mule-drive/battery-box is pretty sweet... I didn't think about being able to still use the pulleys after the mod, but that makes a lot of sense... I'll start planning on my equivalent mod... I think I may use one of the new 38" deck mule-drives... I had a perverse thought of making a brush cutting deck out of one of those 38" decks, by slicing out some front metal and making them removable panels. Hate to cut new decks, tho'... just seems wrong... At any rate, with the front battery, I bet the under seat area would then be about the right size for a cooler.
whistling.gif

Charlie:
Mule drive sides..all flat plate.....CNC plasma table......hmmmmm......
coffee.gif

Anyone know where test prcedures are for 1450 pto in archives, have one quit working and I can't find info, Thanks for any and all help. Jim

James S.
Check the wire up by the PTO, they tend to break or come loose.
Second, check the connection on the back of the PTO switch, they get nasty all the time too.
If all else fails, check the switch with an Ohm meter to see if the switch is bad.

hey you guys,did the 147 with the electric lift come with a spring assist?I have redone this whole tractor.Almost every moving part has been replaced.The engine,k321,has been completely rebuilt with all new parts including a new cam and crank,new valves lifters,springs,I mean everything except the block has been replaced.Same with the tractor.Every moving worn part has been replaced.Took me bout a year to git it all done.Got the paint from cc specialties,thanks cc,but Im not sure if it came with a spring assist or not due to the electric lift.I even got two sets of front and rear tires and rims for it.One set for nice turf and the other for snowin and muddin!! cool shtuff!!Wife is totaly ticked for the money I put in it just over the last 3 months...well, at least thu cub doenst talk back..lol

Should I use gasket sealer when replacing the oil pan gasket on a K321?

It says "Install the gasket, oil pan and drain plug". Big help.

I figure gasket sealer is one of those things where folks either swear by it or swear at it. Just wondering what the majority opinion is...

Latest posts

Back