• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 25, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a local Apple-Orchard with the family this weekend and happened on a couple home-built benches. Here was the best one.
happy.gif

289787.jpg

Art, that's cool! Whoever made it was quite creative.

Kraig-
Yeah, it's a neat idea.

I have a tailgate here from a late-80's Chevrolet that was FOUND on the road one day. (Not sure how someone "loses" a tailgate just driving down the road, but whatever.) Anyway, when we came across these benches, I nudged my wife telling her we could have one of these, but she wasn't amused.

If you're looking for a tailgate to make one of these. Let me know! LOL
roflol.gif

Art, I think I'll pass on the Chevy tailgate.
happy.gif

David, I'd guess that since according to Art, it's at an apple orchard, people don't sit there to long before moving on. More like garden art than actual sitting bench.
dunno.gif

Pic looks like a Case L, which was made from 1929 to 1940, so best guess would be mid 30's. Rubber was becoming common by the late 30's, but took a back seat to the war effort in the early 40's. (There weren't all that many H's and M's on steel, and then only during the war.)

Grandfather owned an antique L for a while in the 90's....big bellowing monster with a "backwards" hand clutch......IIRC 4" bore x 4" stroke at about 1200 rpms......

290112.jpg

we take so much for granted.As the Monarchs lose their habitate due to weed killers the farming industry uses, their few habitates are dwindling to nothingness.. . I just read, This year at a local nature refuge, only ONE Monarch Butterfly was caught and tagged, or even seen for that matter. Last year there was Nine tagged. Their migration flight has been losing ground. What use to be 45 square miles where the butterflies migrated in the winter, is now a mere 1 1/2 mile corridor. As man continues to stamp out pests and bugs, not only the Monarch butterflies will be extinct soon.

I was out looking over the Milk Weed plants we have that come up every year, and I was delighted to see a Monarch Cattepillar. What use to be a common occassion is now a rarity. what I would experience is unique then not everyone, infact very few individuals will be rewarded with viewing the Monarchs in any form. Since milk weed is their ONLY source of nourishment, every single human who can plant even a few plants for the delicate winged ones will hopefully assit them from becoming extinct.

I also thought that everyone experienced the migration of the butterflies. I have been blessed to witness that migration first hand when the butterflies made their nightly stop in our yard, filling the tree's with beautiful butterflies who hung upside down to rest till the light of the sun in the following morning would call them to open their winges to the sun, so as to warm them up and prepare themselves to continue on their journey to central America. What should be available for all our generations to witness is not going to happen..and perhaps this will be my LAST year to witness the Monarchs as their grace our living space

Cath

PS I aplogize for the fuzzy photo..my fuzzy eyes give way to unfocused pics...

Cathleen, I saw two Monarch butterflies this year. I have multiple milkweed plants around my property that I let grow. As soon as the seed pods ripen I am harvesting them to replant. KENtuckyKEN and I were emailing about this recently and he was looking for milkweed seeds to plant in Kentucky so I will be sending a seed pod to him this fall. I remember not that many years ago seeing trees weighed down with Monarchs as they were gathering for their migration. I've actually seen this several times in my lifetime. The first time was back in the 1970s and I believe there may be a photo somewhere in my mother's photo albums of it. Here's a random photo of some of the milkweed seed pods I'm waiting on. I'm not going to gather all the seed pods, I will let most of the seeds naturally disperse. I just want to plant some seeds in specific locations and send a pod to Ken.
happy.gif

290114.jpg

Cathleen, Kraig

I use to hate milkweed and would chop it out (I don't use pesticides if I can help it) on my place but now I let it grow once I found out it was food for the monarch. I have seen a few but not the numbers I use to see.

Rodney, I used to pull it out as well. Not any more, I let it grow pretty much wherever it shows up. Unless it's really in a poor location. I have some growing in my flower beds that just showed up there and I left it alone. The plants in the picture below grew next to one of my firewood piles and I let it grow there as well.

Latest posts

Back