• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

282 and 382 cubs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwells

displayname
Michael Wells
Hi, I'm new to this club, and new to cub cadets as well. This might be a stupid question, but here it goes.. I found a 282 cub cadet and I was wondering what the differece bettween the 282 and 382 was. Is it just a difference in horse power? Or are there other differences as well. Thanks

Michael, the 282 has an 8hp engine the 383 has an 11hp engine. The 282 has a Hydrostatic transmission, the 383 was available in either a Hydrostatic version and a gear drive, 5 speed (with a creeper) version.

Are the 282s worth collecting? They are just a lawn tractor and don't look like much of a unit.
Anyone else out there have any opinion on them?
Thanks,
Alan

Anything is worth collecting if you have an interest. My Spirit of 76 looks very lightweight and not worth it, but has been fun so far.

Alan R: They are what they are: Tractor style riding Lawn Mowers (LT)....I have several in my collection including an SO76 and an 80, 81 & 282 . They, along with the Rear Engine Riding (RER) Mowers, are good light duty urban(city) lawn mowers. They are not Garden Tractors and weren't intended to be.

I and others think that both type IH Cadet mowers are collectable, so we have them in our collections. The LTs and RERs were IH's answer to the lower priced machines being marketed by Sears, Montgomery Wards, K-Mart, Wal Mart, Roper, Murray, MTD, and others in the growning urban markets of the day. The costlier, heavier duty IH Cub Cadet Garden Tractor could not compete with the pricing of the "box store" throwaways so IH added the lighter, less expensive lines of Cadets to compete with them.

Better than the competition? I think so. How many of the other brands do you see still out there able to mow grass and do yard duty lke the IH-made LTs & RERs??

Myron B
www.CCSupplyRoom.com

Alan, if any cub is worth adding to the collection. My electric rifer is just as handy on a small lot and even better than a wide frame to run thru the garden with the trailer for harvest time or hauling the seeds and plants in the spring. Sometimes you just don't need a big unit, why feed 12 or 14 horses when you only need 8 (the 95 electric is even cheaper)?
thumbsup_old.gif

Hi. Can you guys tell me what size tractor I have. The model # is this on plate 132 182 399.
Serial # 03500300072315. The hood is missing so dont have a decal to go by. Also smoked something under the flywheel. Put in a new keyswitch and wired it wrong so when I powered it up it burned something out. Was that the stator probably? Oops. Thanks for your help.

Dominic O:

That first set of digits tells you that yours is the MTD/CCC info for a Lawn Tractor made by MTD/CCC after the sale for the 1982 Model year, is a Model 182, and was sold by an IH Cub Cadet dealer.

The second set of digits is an IH Kind/Code for a Lawn Tractor Model 182, serial number 072315. That middle zero should be and is actually a misreading of the letter U.

Hope this helps...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thanks for your help myron. Now I know what model to order parts for.

Greetings, I have a 382 cadet that has developed steering problems. It only turns to the left (NASCAR Standard). When I turn it to the right, the steering wheel rolls around and does not engage or turn the front wheels. Is this something that I can fix myself, or do I need to take it to a dealer? If I have to go the dealer route, what would be a reasonable price for repair? Judging from the serial number, the cadet is 39 years old and I would hate to lose it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Carolyn S: That's fixable, but are you a mechanic?? Shop rates are $65-$85 (maybe more) per hour which is about what it'll take them...There's a couple of parts that may need replacing, but the ones I have worked on, I have have been able to repair. Now, please note that I said "mechanic", not parts changer, which is what most dealers employ these days... They can get you going, but you'll pay the price...if the parts are still available...

Ya got any manuals for it??

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

yea, they make for a fast racer, if a guy wanted to. a friend long ago showed me the one he built. i think they would be worth collecting/useing. i'd like to see someone who has one make it better than OEM. original.

Back