• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1862 ignition switch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrenier

displayname
scotty grenier
I have a 1862 that the pto clutch has been acting up on,spoke to friend and he told me to check the ignition switch, i did that and found lots of rust/corosion.I atempted to clean the spades on the switch with little success,all the diagrams that i have seen on here show the switch with 5 spades but mine has 6 and don't seem to be finding any 6 spaded switches any help would be great.

Scotty G.
The 1862 came from the factory with a 5 spade switch.
That being said, you never know what the previous owner put in.
So the question is, Do you have a connector that connects to the switch that has 6 holes or 5?

all the wires are by them selves with female spade ends but appear to be heatshrinked(factory applied?) they are not in any type of molded connector
1a_scratchhead.gif

Somebody's been in there before you. From the factory they would have been in a plastic connector, no heat shrink tubing.

this old jewell has been sitting for about 7 years that i know of and this is the only problem i have found so far. after i cleaned the switch up the best i could i reassembled and i could get the clutch to run under no load but it would pop the fuse.

thanks to all for the help i just joined yesterday and have found alot of usefull info,but this one has me stumped

If you're blowing the fuse, you have a short somewhere. This series is notorious for wiring issues.

the thing that has me stumped is that it doesn't do it right away like you have a dead short it take 15 or 20 seconds for the fuse to pop

Scotty...I hope others will help out here, but I remember that the electric clutches sometimes had the potting material that holds the wire coil in place fall apart. If that coil shorts out in its housing, I guess you might get a delayed fuse blow out. <font size="-2">Just a thought...</font>

thanks again to every one for the help, i'm going to go out to the garage after i get a bite to eat and tinker some more,double check every thing that i have done so far just to be sure that it is not me
dunno.gif

is there a way to visually check to see if that material is comming a part or can you ohm it out with a multimeter?

I've never worked with a electric clutch, but there have been pictures here with them apart showing loose coils. Dont know what it takes to get front off to look at the coil.
Check the ohms as Matt said, if they look improper then maybe try to look inside.

every thing i have checked so far seems to be up to par other than the wireing, i've taken all the loom and tape off the harness and have been tracing wires.
bash.gif
the one thing that i have noticed on the 6th spade on my ignition switch is a green wire that seems to be a ground wire,it appears that it grounds through the switch(housing) but where the switch is mounted in the dash is plastic. my other thing is the black wire that feeds 12v to the switch has a fuse, when i engauge the pto this fuse blows. shouldn't this kill all power to the tractor? It does not it kills power to the pto but nothing else that i can tell. could i have bad ground somewhere causeing 12v to backfeed and keep power to the tractor

Scotty, the ground at the switch kills the motor by grounding out the magneto. The fuse is on the line from the Battery to the Ignition switch, so if its blowing, then there is a short somewhere downstream of the ignition. I would try disconnecting things until you find the circuit with the short. For instance, disconnect the PTO and see if the fuse blows. Another common culprit are light bulbs, they can short out to the frame and cause other odd things to happen.

A cheaper way to do the same thing (fuses cost money) is disconnect the battery and work the switch with an ohm meter connected to see which contact grounds out.

If you feel comfortable removing contacts from the ignition switch connector, or using jumper wires, you can quickly isolate the circuit with the short in it. If the contact at the "R" terminal is shorted, the alternator or alternator wire, has burned out to ground; if the contact at the "L" terminal is grounded, one of the lamps, or lamp wires, is shorted to ground; if the contact at the "M" terminal is grounded, then there is a short at the Magneto, etc. etc.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back