1572 gear reduction starter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvenezia

displayname
charles venezia
My 1572 was a bear to start in cold weather. I was going to install a block heater this year but before I could get it done my starter went bad. So I decided to go with the gear reduction starter. WOW what a differance. 40 sec. on the glow plug and one crank and it running. I went out at 4:30 this mourning it was 29 and samething 45 sec and on crank is all it took. I would highly recomend this conversion.

Thanks Charles,

Something I have been thinking about for some time on my 1512. Does the 1572 use a lawn and garden battery or can you fit a car battery into it?

lawn and garden. I got the heaviest duty decka battery available. I think it is 410 cca

There is a car battery that will work in a 1572. A battery from a Mazda Miata will fit and made a big difference in the ability to crank longer. Its rated at 400cc but seems to hang in there longer. How hard was the conversion to the gear reduction starter?

The conversion was not bad at all. I found it was much easier if I removed the exhaust manifold.

My starter is working well so far, but the cold in Illinois can be tough on parts. i will definetly put the red starter in when i need one! Thanks for the thread

I just finished the glow plug upgrade. I will be going out in the mourning to see how it starts in the cold. It was much easier than the starter upgrade.

Latest posts

Back