• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

582 "hunting" throttle/gov problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcasagrande

displayname
Toby Casagrande
This problem is drivin me %$#@.

Ive got a 16HP Briggs with a 'hunting' throttle/governor. Details to follow:
-gotta new carb.
-tuned it 10+ times according to Briggs manual
-runs great 4 awhile
-starts hunting...usually under load
-I add choke and it runs fine

Sounds like a fuel feed problem 2 me, but it ran fine on my previous mowing. I even marked the fuel mix screw to see if it was vibrating out of tune and its not!

Any help u guys can give would be appreciated!

Toby

Toby,
I think your on the right track, I would flush the tank, check the fuel lines to make sure they are not falling apart on the insides. It wouldn't hurt to add a filter either. Just a thought.

Check to make sure that the reed gasket is in properly on the fuel pump for the carb. and when ya set the carb throw out the book and go by sound.

Yea, Hugh says to throw the book! That's cause he can't read!
biggrin.gif

Thanks fellas...will consider throwing out the book if your advice doesnt work...dont have a tach anyway
thumbsup.gif

Sounds like it could be an air leak behind the carb. After it heats up the leak opens making it run lean that is why the choke then helps. Might have a torn gasket, no gasket or a crack.

No Charlie that is cause both of my 582's have had carb issues when set by the book so I just go by what sounds about right. The damn carb on these 582's with the Briggs and Scrappum is a major PITA IMHO.

Harry, Ill check the gaskets, but its a new carb with new gaskets...

Thx

BTW..anyone know where I can get a spare engine?

Toby,

Because it is new and recently assembled could mean something did not go together correctly. The symptoms certainly sound like an air leak when hot. Definetly look for a crack where the carb connects. Is there a plastic heat shield where the carb bolts on, could be cracked.

Good luck, let us know what you finally discover - if you do.
dunno.gif

Ok, guys, still not fixed. I did the following:
-put in new fuel filter
-checked lines
-looked for air leaks (found none)
-reinstalled old carb for the heck of it

Now the cub:

-starts/runs normally
-no longer 'hunts'
-when mower is on, it wants to die, but runs fine with a lot of choke.

additional possibilities
-bad governor?
-cub mechanic said maybe a bad coil?

whaddya guys think...i mean i could always continue to run it with choke...
bash.gif
}

Toby- Why don't ya just clean up and rebuild your original carb???? They do make a rebuild kit for them and they are available at the dealer.

Hugh, might come down to that; thats why I bought a new one and figured it would take care of ther problem!

Im still checking for air leaks...@ least it runs =-)).

Back