• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

122 restored into a high crop

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwbrown

displayname
Dan W Brown
Hi everone. Im new, my name's dan. I just save a IH 122 from going to the scraper, and have plans to restore it into a high crop, for cultivating the garden.I'll have pictures soon. The tractor is in pretty rough shape, the motor has no compression, the transmission wouldn't shift,but I'v fixed that already by filling full of kerosene and letting it soak,works well now.The motor is a k301 12hp,the fin around the cylinder is full of grease and grim, so I know It needs rebuilding, but it could be the vavles need adjusting. The frames in pretty good shape and every thing is there as I can tell.Its going to be a fun project.

Dan B.
Welcome to the forum!
Great project, but you've to live up to Dan H's high crop as well, so you gotta make us proud!!
293962.jpg

293963.jpg

293964.jpg

293965.jpg

Dan H built a nice tractor,I seen a picture a while back of it and new then that I wanted one.I'v got a question, if I put 30x7.50x15 tires on the back of my 122,would the tractor still be usable for plowing or would I need a creeper gear?

I don't even think a creeper would slow it down enough, but it would sure help, LOL
Those tall tires are gonna make it fly!
biggrin.gif

Give it a try and show us how it works out.
thumbsup.gif

Dan B. I'm pretty sure that you're going to want to put something other than a regular Brinly hitch on for plowing due to the extra height. Also, you may want to look into widening the tractor's stance width-wise so it won't be prone to tipover so easy once in the furrow. Some pictures would be sure appreciated.
happy.gif

I used have a home made high crop, turned many a furrow with it.
First is a hydro version
294019.jpg

The gear drive version would do 12mph on level pavement.
Very unsafe to make any turn unless motor was at idle.
Very tippy on uneven ground, such as driving through the woods.
Could pull a moldboard plow in 2nd gear in sandy soil, but worked best is 1st gear.

Used a stock Brinly hitch for moldboard plowing.

Used American Farmers 15inch tires, and mini spare rims, don't recall the brand of car they came off.

Lonny, thanks for the info. You thank it would do better with a creeper? The wheels that fit garden tractors are chrysler.I was thinking about 30 inch tires but I think I will go with the 27x7.5x12's for now.

Dan.

As I only had 1 cub cadet with a creeper, and it was not used in the build of the high crop, I can not say for sure if a creeper would make any difference.
It will slow down the ground speed, but by how much I do not know.

I did find that the hydro version worked better as the ground speed could be better controlled, so a creeper in a gear drive might work fine in say 2nd gear, low range or even 3rd gear, low range.
If you have a cub with a creeper in it, I would not hesitate to use it in the build, worst thing that could happen is you wont need to use the creeper. IMHO

294037.jpg

I even used the high crop to push snow around one year, worked really good after I went back to the smaller front tires, as the ones in the photo limited the turning radius.

The snow plow high crop is a mix breed of cubs, a 107 frame, a 102 grill, a 122 hood cut to fit, a 12hp Kohler, seat from a 102, and front rims and wheel from a F-cub.

Dan,

A creeper box would come in handy for other things you might have plans on using the tractor for.

Never pass up a good creeper box if you find one and its affordable.

I once won a slow race using a creeper box, only down side to it winning the race was I burned up a good motor.

Idled the motor way down and I think it took a good 15 minutes to travel 50 feet.

Back