• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Engine turning over

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad McGowan

IHCC Supporter
I am trying to get my 1965 CC 70 started for the first time since the engine was completely gone thru 2 years go. I have a new battery with 300 CCA. With the plug out the engine spins like a champ but when I put the plug in the engine may spin a couple of times then it's as if it freezes up. I can bump the switch and get a couple of more spins then same result. I hve no idea as to how better describe what it is doing. Any ideas out there as to what is going on and what can I do? Thanks!

Brad,either your timing,point setting is way off ..or you have liquid in the cylinder.It's appears to be stopping at the compression stroke....Have you checked for spark with plug out?That's where I would start. Leave gas off while trying,you might be flooding cyl...

I am trying to get my 1965 CC 70 started for the first time since the engine was completely gone thru 2 years go. I have a new battery with 300 CCA. With the plug out the engine spins like a champ but when I put the plug in the engine may spin a couple of times then it's as if it freezes up. I can bump the switch and get a couple of more spins then same result. I hve no idea as to how better describe what it is doing. Any ideas out there as to what is going on and what can I do? Thanks!
I too would bet on a Timing issue. Only other things can think of would be Hydro locking if way too much gas is pouring into cylinder.

Brad,either your timing,point setting is way off ..or you have liquid in the cylinder.It's appears to be stopping at the compression stroke....Have you checked for spark with plug out?That's where I would start. Leave gas off while trying,you might be flooding cyl...
Ha, some page. I was typing when you posted. We basically are saying the same thing.

Does it turn by hand when it stops? Will it turn easily for many revolutions with the plug removed? Is it trying to fire and 'kicking back' when it stops, or stopping like there is an obstruction?

If it isn't firing out the carb or kicking back when it stops, it is NOT timing. And if it only goes a couple revs and stops, there is no way it is hydrolocking or anything like that.

A freshly rebuilt engine is going to be pretty tight for the first hour or two during the initial run-in of the rings. Assuming the engine was assembled properly and turns freely by hand without a spark plug, the starter/generator may need some attention. It may have been able to turn over a loose, worn engine, but can't handle the higher compression of a good engine. I would make sure grounds and connections are clean and that the battery cables and cable from the pushbutton switch to the armature are in good condition. It is also possible there is an internal short in the armature of the starter/generator, or the commutator and brushes need attention.

Does it turn by hand when it stops? Will it turn easily for many revolutions with the plug removed? Is it trying to fire and 'kicking back' when it stops, or stopping like there is an obstruction?

If it isn't firing out the carb or kicking back when it stops, it is NOT timing. And if it only goes a couple revs and stops, there is no way it is hydrolocking or anything like that.

A freshly rebuilt engine is going to be pretty tight for the first hour or two during the initial run-in of the rings. Assuming the engine was assembled properly and turns freely by hand without a spark plug, the starter/generator may need some attention. It may have been able to turn over a loose, worn engine, but can't handle the higher compression of a good engine. I would make sure grounds and connections are clean and that the battery cables and cable from the pushbutton switch to the armature are in good condition. It is also possible there is an internal short in the armature of the starter/generator, or the commutator and brushes need attention.
It does turn over by hand easily when it will not crank, pull the plug and it turns over like crazy with the starter. I actually got it started just now, carb needs tweaked but the motor ran great, it ran for a couple of minutes before I shut it off. I am going to have the starter/generator gone through. There were no backfires or kicking back so I am comfortable with the timing being ok. New battery with 300CCA, wiring is all checked with no poor connections. Thank you so much for the feedback!!

Good news I have it started, ran really well. I think the starter is the issue. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

Brad,what Matt said is pretty important.I originally overlooked that you said it had sat for a couple yrs without running.Lots of things degrade in 2 yrs especially connections..
Connections are good, wiring checks out and I actually got it started just now, it ran very smoothly, I appreciate your taking the time to reply thanks!!

Latest posts

Back