Starter Generator Test

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dajeepman

How do I test the starter generator on my Cub 108? I dont seem to get any charging at the battery. I put leads on the Generator and only getting 1 to 3volts..​

Temporarily ground the "F" terminal on the starter/generator while the engine is running at wide open throttle. This should peg the ammeter to the 'charge' side and result in 14+V across the battery terminals. If not, the field coils of the starter/generator are bad. If that does cause it to charge, there is a voltage regulator or wiring fault.

Temporarily ground the "F" terminal on the starter/generator while the engine is running at wide open throttle. This should peg the ammeter to the 'charge' side and result in 14+V across the battery terminals. If not, the field coils of the starter/generator are bad. If that does cause it to charge, there is a voltage regulator or wiring fault.
Thank you I will try that today. Are the S/G rebuilble? I know a place next town over who works on starters.

Thank you I will try that today. Are the S/G rebuilble? I know a place next town over who works on starters.
Absolutely. Had mine (CC149) done last year. Tired of having to put a battery maintainer on it all the time. Was about $120 Canadian, could probably get an aftermarket replacement for less, but who knows what quality?

Latest posts

Back