• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Questions about M18 flywheel removal to repair charging.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPR

displayname
Brian
I have a CCC 782 with a Kohler M18. It's charging at about 13 volts at WOT. When loading the battery with lights & PTO engaged this is adequate to charge the battery. After troubleshooting with a voltmeter the problem appears to be with either the flywheel magnets coming loose or the stator is damaged. From what I can tell I will need to remove the engine to remove the flywheel? Can anyone give any feedback on this or direct me to a thread that discusses this situation? Thanks!

Yes you do need to remove the engine to get to the flywheel and stator. But BEFORE you do that download this manual. http://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/tp_2204_b.pdf
Go to section 8 page 8.9 This chart will tell you how to diagnose the charging system. Probably the most important is test 2 measuring the AC voltage output from the stator. If it not 28 volts you have a stator problem. If it is 28 volts you have a regulator, battery or grounding problem.
Hope this helps....

I have repaired an M18 that would run the lights but couldn't charge the battery by gluing all the magnets back in place with metal-flake impregnated epoxy. I used a 1/4" drill bit to space them around the inside perimeter of the fly wheel. The hardest part was maintaining the proper polarity of each magnet.

I removed the motor this afternoon. Four of the 6 magnets had come loose. I removed the other two by tapping lightly with a hammer & punch. Cleaned the flywheel & magnets with a sanding flap wheel attached to a drill. Identified the polarity Cleaned surfaces with acetone & epoxied with JB Weld. Used 1/4" bolts as spacers. This youtube video was helpful & somewhat hummorus.

Attachments

• 782 1.JPG
    782 1.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 782 2.JPG
    782 2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 782 3.JPG
    782 3.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 782 4.JPG
    782 4.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 782 5.JPG
    782 5.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 310
Mr. Chamberlin, how does one ascertain correct polarity of magnets.?? Many mentions over time but no explanation for us slow thinkers...I have serious hangups on all electrical systems but I fight thru it....

My last post was my first try. I used the wrong method identifying the polarity of the magnets first try. I had to remove the flywheel & remove the magnetic I epoxyed on. I've attached a photo of the way I properly identified polarity of magnets & a photo of how they need to be attached to the flywheel. Tractor is charging & running well now. Ready for snow!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 247
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 271

Latest posts

Back