• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Newbie with Cub fever - ethical question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myron,
Thanks for the info. I was hoping you might chime in, b/c I've seen you offer a lot of info in other posts.

Thanks everyone else for the stories and ideas. They all help. I'll keep this thing one way or the other. Now on to finding a snowblower. We had a ton of snow here in Southeastern PA last winter, so I think I will be better prepared. The little Honda 5hp struggled last year, but she never failed. I'll keep that for the sidewalk.

John K.-

In case you were wondering, you need a 451 or 551 snowblower. Those are the two that I know of that work on an 1864 with no modifications. Actually, since yours is so early, there's a chance you might need a 450. Myron, would you happen to have any info on the serial number break where the PTO clutch diameter changed?

Thanks Matt. You verified what I was finding on the parts lookup. As far as the PTO clutch diameter, can I just measure mine to verify? Do I just measure across the outside diameter or do I have to measure down in the V where the belt rides? Do you happen to know off-hand what the different diameters would be? And, would using a different length belt make up the difference if worse came to worse?

I think the smaller PTO clutch is about 4 1/2" OD, and the larger one is 6" or so. If you have the larger clutch, you need a 451 or 551. You can't just change the belt length; you need the right attachment to match the clutch. A 450 with the big clutch will turn too fast, and a 451/551 with the small clutch will turn too slow.

Matt G: I am not aware of any specific info on the serial number change over for the PTO's but, if it was in the IH era, CPE-2 may show it (under the 44A/50A decks section) if you happen to have tractors with the differences cited.

Myron B

I think the serial number range is 836001-880000 and then breaks to 880001-899000. I think the smaller pulley is during the first range.

Has anyone changed small pulley PTO to Large pulley PTO ,on Cyclops or 82 CC ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

I measured my pulley tonight and it is about 6" across. So, I assume I need a 451 or 551. What exactly is the difference between the two?

The 451 and 551 have a different gear ratio than the 450 to account for the difference in pulley diameter. I think the 551 is built a little bit lighter than the 451.

The 551 has a taller intake housing (23") & is basis for 3000 series CC,newer Cyclops CC, MTD, Craftsman tractors & large walk behind snow machines.Belt & Shaft driven depending tractor application. Like Matt said ,it needs 6" PTO for belt drive machines.Power steering is not mandatory , but is recommended. Rear wheel weights or rear weight bracket with minimum 3 suitcase weights.... 4.5" to 6" PTO Switched @ serial # 821,060.

Latest posts

Back