• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

K-301 Started using oil.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsarow

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Dean W.Sarow
I have a K-301 in a 125.Last fall after lapping the valves,flattening the head,adjusting the lash,points and plug.I proceded to do the fall leaf mulching,with using just a bit of oil.30 weight.I did an oil analysis, which can back,no serious issues.It sat all winter.Now this spring,fresh 30w.,a different brand tho.Now in about a hours worth of mowing,it drops about a 1/3 of a quart.The plug looks dark and oily,slight smoke at start up.Did I break a ring or what?Should I look for another engine,overhaul or keep an eye on it?School me please.Thanks for all responses.

I would take the head off, look to see if it is oily in there, and lower the piston to BDC and check the cylinder wall for any damage from a broken ring.. If everything looks good check head for flatness, put in a new head gasket and plug and MMO in the gas and run it some more and see what it does... Maybe it could also be a stuck ring from sitting...

Perform a leak-down compression check. That should indicate whether a ring has failed. Listen for air leaking into crankcase (through dip stick tube) - a sure indication that rings are not sealing properly.

Check breather for reed valve working properly.

Latest posts

Back