• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Is there a better one of the IH Cadets?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A curious question and I am sure all members have their favorites, but I'll ask anyway.

For a working tractor just pulling stuff on the property mostly with no grass cutting or snow removal, which model of the pre-MTD cub cadets is favored for durability, ease of use/maintenance, and fewer/ease of repairs? Moving stuff will be dragging small trees and brush, small trailer with less than 800 lb load, spike areator,
Thanks

1450 by a long shot! 👍
1690156133948.png

1690156213184.png

1690156300831.png

Sorry, but a 1811/1812 blows the doors off any of the earlier units. By that time, MTD had worked the kinks out and arguably made one of the best GT's made. This is before MTD screwed the pooch and de-contented their lineup to lower their price point.

The best IH produced model would be a 782/784, but they had the dreadful series 1 KT17.

A curious question and I am sure all members have their favorites, but I'll ask anyway.

For a working tractor just pulling stuff on the property mostly with no grass cutting or snow removal, which model of the pre-MTD cub cadets is favored for durability, ease of use/maintenance, and fewer/ease of repairs? Moving stuff will be dragging small trees and brush, small trailer with less than 800 lb load, spike areator,
Thanks
I've only owned the IH Cub Cadet 129, and 149 models. My current workhorse is a 1973 Model 149 with hydraulic lift. All of the old IH brand models appear to me to have been built to last a lifetime or more with proper care and maintenance. I know you didn't ask about this but the only thing I liked better about a 129 I owned for quite a long time was the manual lift (instead of the hydraulic). The reason is that if I came upon a small stump, rock, or something that could potentially damage the deck, I could quickly raise it much higher in order to clear the object. The Hydraulic feature will only raise so high and would not allow me to do that in such a circumstance. (If anyone knows how to make it raise higher, I would really like to know). So, to answer your original question (RE: dragging, pulling, etc), probably any of the old ones would do the job. I've personally pulled my 1-ton trailer around with my 149 with no problems (level ground) and mine has rear tractor tires with wheel weights. I've also pulled around a heavy core plug aerator on both hilly and level ground with no problem. (this was after a neighbor ruined the Peerless transmission in his much-newer John Deere trying to aerate his yard with it). JMO.

My favorite out of my collection is my 128. It was, at some point before I got it, repowered with a 14 hp. I beefed up the clutch with a red spring and added 10.50 ag tires, and I haven't run across much it wouldn't handle since then.

My guess is that last years of CC with a cast iron rear differential would be among the best choices to make. Are there any IHC CC with a cast iron rear differential and a twin cylinder engine?

Some of the 82 series still had cast iron rear ends. I have two 782, one of which is IH made and the other is an IH branded red one made by CCC. Been a little while since Ifooled with them, but best I recall the genuine IH one has a cast iron rear end. These also have the fine spline axles, which tend to be favored by pullers. Unfortunately, both have Series 1 KT-17s.

Probably almost any early tractor would be fine.
Since we are not pulling tree stumps up out of the ground, or blowing snow 300 feet like Charlie (show off!!! :roflol:), let's review each trait.
Breaking it down to each desired trait, I have come to a logical conclusion.
What one tractor would be 1. durable 2. easy to use and maintain 3. easy to work on and have fewer repairs. 4. Best looking.
Now ask yourself, which one would this be? This could only be one tractor. And that tractor would be:

The 100 !!! :cubwinker:

DSCF0439.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

I have a 782 that has magnum 18 hp twin (transplant) and a cast iron rear. I guess I was under the mistaken impression the later aluminum hydros had the fine spline axles? The early mtd cubs are still very much ih designed and some have power steering so they get my vote.

The aluminum case rears have the fine spline axles which are superior to the coarse spline axles found in the iron cased rears.

I'm not using my CC 149 for pulling or any other type of competition so fine spline axles are of no concern to me. I've read that aluminum rears have a tendency to break or strip bolts without periodic maintenance or a fairly expensive modification. In my case the extra weight of cast iron would be welcome for throwing/blowing show. I don't need to throw snow 3 hundred feet but need to be able move heavy wet snow at times so, a little more horsepower and traction with less vibrations would be welcome too. There are other short comings with a stater/generator during the Winter also.

The aluminum case rears have the fine spline axles which are superior to the coarse spline axles found in the iron cased rears.
Just wondering-- when you say the fine splined axles are more durable--under what condition. I have three old units--104,106 and124-all must have about a zillion miles of grass cutttin and have never had any trouble with the axles.

Probably almost any early tractor would be fine.
Since we are not pulling tree stumps up out of the ground, or blowing snow 300 feet like Charlie (show off!!! :roflol:), let's review each trait.
Breaking it down to each desired trait, I have come to a logical conclusion.
What one tractor would be 1. durable 2. easy to use and maintain 3. easy to work on and have fewer repairs. 4. Best looking.
Now ask yourself, which one would this be? This could only be one tractor. And that tractor would be:

The 100 !!! :cubwinker:

View attachment 154819
View attachment 154820
particularly a babelicious 100 like Marty’s with the hydraulics upgrade from the manual-lift lever!
Marty, have you also upgraded your front spindles like some folks do?
that 100 of yours is CHERRY.
Cheers,
-C3

Ground engaging implements on higher powered tractors. You aren't going to have issues with anything using a 12 hp tractor to mow.
Just wondering-- when you say the fine splined axles are more durable--under what condition. I have three old units--104,106 and124-all must have about a zillion miles of grass cutttin and have never had any trouble with the axles.

Tractor pulling and other ground engaging implement will find driveline shortcomings really fast. Unless there was a stress riser in your axle, you will most likely never break ANY IH or CCC GT axle during most common usage such as mowing or moving snow with a blade.

Latest posts

Back