• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Hytran in Off Topic Tractors???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Binder 1650
I gather Hytran is 10w at oil and am considering using it in my old hydro and gear drive Wheelhorse tractors and maybe a Simplicity.

Wheelhorse hydros with Eaton 1100 pump calls for 10W-30 oil. Gear drives originally 140wt gear oil and later 90wt gear oil.

In as much as IH used Hytran in both gear and hydro tractors, wondering if it would be a decent substitute? I'm mostly interested due to Hytran oil quality reputation and moisture handling characteristics.

Any thoughts on is would be much appreciated.

BILL - I had a POS '74 Chevy LUV p/u years ago that in winter you couldn't shift from 1st into any other gear once moving for about a mile or two. I ran the thing out to Dad's place one warm winter day and drained whatever oil was in that little 4-spd and replaced it with Hy-Tran. Shifted fine after that.

The old letter series tractors if well worn did have problems running Hy-Tran, mostly leaks from worn seals & bad gaskets. But gear roll-over was worse when shifting from nuetral into any gear because the Hy-Tran didn't slow the spinning gears down as fast. Dad tried Hy-Tran in his '51 M for a year or two, the M was his loader/chore tractor and waiting 10+ seconds to shift into gear after fepressing the clutch was NOT what you wanted. A switch back to 90W and all was fine. But on the newer IH's like the Super M-TA & 450 Farmall, Ht-Tran was required to properly lube the over-running clutch in the Torque-Amplifier. Back in '54 when the first SM-TA's were sold IH sold an additive, T-A suppliment, or something like that for those tractors, and finally created Hy-Tran with Viscosity Oil to lube the T-A properly, and work in the live hyd. & transmission & final drives.

Not sure about the Eaton hydro, but the Sundstrand 15U used in CC's will tolerate a wide range of different oils. I'd do a search for lube spec's on the Eaton hydro, or maybe other brand tractors that use it and see what they recommend.

I would "THINK" Hy-Tran would work in place of 10W-30 motor oil just fine. But I think the lighter weight Hy-Tran would cause the same problem in a manual trans that has 90W & 140W gear oil recommended as what Dad had in his M, leaking & gear roll-over. I think both WH & Simplicity used Peerless transmissions, they used a LOT of small needle bearings... and IMO, Hy-Tran would do a better job of lubing them than 90 or 140W, but may not be as good a lube as a heavier oil if they were worked/pulled really hard in warm weather.

Dennis - good info. Never thought about the heavier weight oil slowing down the gears for shifting.

BTW - I had an uncle that bought a Chevy LUV pick-up around '74 too. It was a light blue. We thought it was a pretty good truck, but it really never saw hard work. Some 15 or so years later, it really looked like a trash heap, cracked dash, seats and that pretty light blue paint? The rust REALLY stood out like a sore thumb on that fadded paint - LOL.

Wheelhorse used a homegrown cast iron gear drive transmission. Though it was belt drive from the engine to tranny, it was and is a VERY tough tranny. They called it "Unidrive". They are easy to split and service if/when required. The gear drives were typically 8 speed, 3 fwd, 1 rev, with hi-lo range standard.

Seems like with most all of these old iron tractors, even tough the Kohler engines would live thousands of hours, the frame and tranny's would go a lifetime and at the end of the day, the engine was the weak link - if you ran the tractor long enough!

I'll probably stick with the MFG recommended fluids for now.

Thanks again - great info.

Latest posts

Back