• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Does my 42" mower deck need a tensioner pulley?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMonkMort

Hi Gang,
So I recently mounted a triple blade 42" mower deck onto my CC 104 tractor. It has 3 pulleys on it, one for each blade. Is it supposed to have a 4th pulley on a spring to tension the belt or do I just buy a belt the right length and dismount one of the sheaves and pulleys to get it on there? It doesn't seem to have any mounting bolts for a possible tensioner... The drive belt from the tractor has manual tensioner pulleys in the carrier (carriage?), but that's not the belt I'm talking about.
If you know what I'm talking about, and you know my answer, could you post a pic so I know how to put mine together?
FYI, I ~just~ bought this thing.

So apparently it does... just found the pic I needed to see. Now I need some kind soul to sell me one or I have to fabricate my own.

It would be helpful if you could provide the model number for the deck. There should be a tag riveted to the deck. There were at least 3 variations of the 42" deck that fit the 104. Most of the idler parts are still available new. The idler arm might be the only one you will need to source used.

Looks like this by the way...

DSC08934.JPG

A spring loaded idler arm and pulley should be located between the center and righthand blade drive pullies.

Hi Gang,
So I recently mounted a triple blade 42" mower deck onto my CC 104 tractor. It has 3 pulleys on it, one for each blade. Is it supposed to have a 4th pulley on a spring to tension the belt or do I just buy a belt the right length and dismount one of the sheaves and pulleys to get it on there? It doesn't seem to have any mounting bolts for a possible tensioner... The drive belt from the tractor has manual tensioner pulleys in the carrier (carriage?), but that's not the belt I'm talking about.
If you know what I'm talking about, and you know my answer, could you post a pic so I know how to put mine together?
FYI, I ~just~ bo

Hi Gang,
FYI, I ~just~ bought this thing.
Google 'cub cadet blue ribbon service manual GSS 1369 pdf.' It be free. See page 3-2, in the back and see instructions for how I installed a tensioner. Simple. Cheers, Jack

It would be helpful if you could provide the model number for the deck. There should be a tag riveted to the deck. There were at least 3 variations of the 42" deck that fit the 104. Most of the idler parts are still available new. The idler arm might be the only one you will need to source used.
I'll take a look when I get home tomorrow AM. I bought it from a guy who "rebuilt" it, which apparently meant he cleaned it and spray painted it. He probably shredded that ID tag, because I don't remember seeing one. But I am also notoriously blissfully ignorant. Also hoping that maybe the idler arm has sprung itself back under that cover and I just am not seeing it.
Will post an update tomorrow.

So I went through the manuals that mgonitzke so kindly provided a link for, as well as the manual on the physical media discs provided by the guy I bought the tractor from (they appear to be the same manuals), but apart from mounting and operations, did not see any specific information on my deck in particular (the 1113?) and what idler arm I'd need to fit that stud and hole)
On the bright side, there's a bit of construction going on down the street from my house, and apparently the crew found a rusty mower deck for some unknown brand and threw it out onto the sidewalk. I went down and scavenged the idler arm off that and may be able to make it work. Not sure yet. That stud is too short to bolt on the pivot, so I'm going to have to grind down the bushing on the arm, and that may do it except for finding a way to get the spring to attach without interfering with the belt travel. I'd have to attach it to the rear attachment pins, and it seems the belt cross over that path.

42U113_Idler.png

The following parts are needed:

Ref 9 638-04012A Screw, Shoulder, .68 x 1.59
Ref 4 759-04324B Arm Kit-Deck Idler [Includes Ref 9 and 5]
Ref 12 932-3009 Spring, Torsion
Ref 5 3/8-16 Lock Nut
Ref 3 756-3005 Pulley, Flat Idler

All of this stuff is still available new from a variety of sources. The idler arm is pretty spendy(~$150)- I'd find a used one of those and get the rest of the stuff new.

That assembly (part #4) can be easily made by any welding shop or machinist.
How many do you want?
I's no more than a short length of bushing stock, a piece of flat bar stock, a shoulder bolt and a grease Zerk.
The shoulder bolts are available from several sources and I believe CCS has a kit w/most of those parts.

And yes, mowing grass is not a cheap operation any more.
Welcome to reality!!

Last edited:
That assembly (part #4) can be easily made by any welding shop or machinist.
How many do you want?
I's no more than a short length of bushing stock, a piece of flat bar stock, a shoulder bolt and a grease Zerk.
The shoulder bolts are available from several sources and I believe CCS has a kit w/most of those parts.

And yes, mowing grass is not a cheap operation any more.
Welcome to reality!!
It may not be cheap, but once I get this riding mower going, it's going to be a helluva lot more fun than my old electric push mower. I'll take the tradeoff. I'd like to find or fab the mulcher door for the mower deck. I know the manual says not to use it for grass, but I'm hoping that won't matter too much. I'm wondering if new blades with the bent up angle like modern mulching blades have would need to be installed. Probably have to fab them myself due to the one large blade and two small blades. Just thinking out loud...

View attachment 156870

The following parts are needed:

Ref 9 638-04012A Screw, Shoulder, .68 x 1.59
Ref 4 759-04324B Arm Kit-Deck Idler [Includes Ref 9 and 5]
Ref 12 932-3009 Spring, Torsion
Ref 5 3/8-16 Lock Nut
Ref 3 756-3005 Pulley, Flat Idler

All of this stuff is still available new from a variety of sources. The idler arm is pretty spendy(~$150)- I'd find a used one of those and get the rest of the stuff new.
I'm glad you posted that pic... I would have mounted it upside down... Hopefully Ace has that shoulder bolt and maybe even the spring. And as dschwandt said, that arm can be fabbed pretty easily. My welding skills are pretty primitive, but I can probably manage that project.
BTW, thank you for all this help, you guys are awesome!

Latest posts

Back