• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 13, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott N,

Your going to have fun tilling that sod.
I plowed and tilled a new garden once in the spring time, never again. The tiller was pushing the tractor and bouncing around, I was pretty worn out after.

I use round up in the fall and plow a few weeks later, then till next spring.

I understand that often time does not permit such planning

Good work and have fun.

Jim

There's a reason they make disc ya know.
thumbsup_old.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup_old.gif
    thumbsup_old.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 121
Charlie - hey is Friday the 13th the usual off-topic Friday? Aren't disc(s) those things you put in your pc?
roflol.gif

(I try not to post anymore than necessary on Friday the 13th - in order to stay out of trouble)

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 118
Question for Bill Rhodes: How do you break #14?
happy.gif

304317.gif

Attachments

• 304317.gif
    304317.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 134
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 119
  • 304317.gif
    304317.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 123
I rebuilt a PTO once and left it sit on the work bench. Looked at it a month later and one of the ears was broken off. Looked at it a week later and another one was broken. It was tightened to spec with the tool. Pieces went winging and never did find them.

Frank C.
There's was a stretch a couple months ago that ends were breaking off those springs left and right!
Seems the supplier to Cub Cadet/MTD decided to supply inferior material for one particular production run.
Rumor has it that there had to be over 3,000 PTO kits replaced.
I know I replaced 81, Grrrr

Thank you Frank.
I thought I just over tightened or something.

Charlie I still would like the spring from you. Even if my part guy at Case IH does something for me. With 5 of these style PTO's I like to have a few spare parts around.

Thank you all. It's nice to know someone has your back.

Bill

Off topic Friday.....

If you're gonna build a street rod.......

304319.jpg

Attachments

• 304319.jpg
    304319.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 304319.jpg
    304319.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 114
H/M sheet metal looks right at home on something designed to go fast!!!!! Raymond Loewy sure had an eye!

A friend recently talked me into going to a rat rod show at our local fairgrounds. One of the vendors was selling lots of tractor hoods and radiator shells. The majority were IH. Now I understand!

QA42 snow blower 90 degree gear box bearing

The bearing on the gear box (Pulley side)is out. I have removed the outside clip and now I assume that I remove the cover then remove shaft, drive out old race and drive in new one. Am I missing anything. This should be simple, but one never knows.
Amy comments greatly appreciated
Earl

Steve:
I love the rat rod. Great job. You need to take that to some shows to show what you have done. My son is building a street rod, so I am getting an idea of the work and time that goes into something like that.
What is under the hood
Earl

Earl - not quite sure I understand where you are with the QA42 gear box. When you say the bearing on the pulley side is "out" I think you mean it's failed but you have not removed it. Your still right about removing it as far as the way I do it. Open the box, remove snap ring inside box, push or drive out shaft just enough to remove gear (you may have to do that with both gears), then work on driving out outside bearing. It may have a seal on the "inside of the outer bearing", and then you can drive out the inner bearing. Some of these boxes are a little different and don't have that "seal inside the outer bearing". Hope this helps. Service Manual has a diagram pic of the parts (but it's a little hard for me to visualize).

To be clear, I didn't build that Farmall rat rod, someone just sent me the pic.....I guess my tounge in cheek comment was misleading.

Whoever built it did it right!!!!!!

Good auction today, a red one followed me home east bound. Got a lot of looks, will try and take some pics when I'm by it next, sitting over in a friends barn. Nice IH weights and 50a deck. Been sitting over 2 years, needs some TLC to get running on both cylinders all the time. Carb kit, points/condenser and correct spark plugs should do it. Don't know which series it is yet. My arm got stuck in the up position during bidding...

Well my little guy had been bugging me to let him drive "his" tractor so I got it out of the shed and let him drive around the yard for about a half hour. The smiles are priceless.
304340.jpg

304341.jpg

304342.jpg

Attachments

• 304341.jpg
    304341.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 304340.jpg
    304340.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 304342.jpg
    304342.jpg