• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through May 04, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
John B.
All you gotta do it click the parts look up button above to get all that.
thumbsup.gif

Since the subject of tiller belt conversions just came up on here yesterday, I thought I would post my conversion for a 982/SGT sized tractor. (I finally got around to the "drive" part of this project and cranked this out last night and this morning....)

I did a "Super #2 tiller" last fall with extra extensions and a 3 pt conversion which is covered on the MTD thread...

258139.jpg

But I thought I would post the belt drive conversion on here, as it is a little different twist, ST745 a deck spindle, and could be easily done to any wide frame Cadet.

258140.jpg

258141.jpg

258142.jpg

258143.jpg

Spindle is mounted with a double drive pulley (in this case one off of a 44/50C deck with 5/8" mule drive belt) "Upside down" bolted on where the blade should be. Since it is only a jackshaft, there is no need for the keyway, and the double pulley is just tightened securely to the spindle like you would fasten a blade.

Idler uses a 3/4" bolt (drilled for grease zerk) inside a 3pt hitch top link bushing as a pivot and a simple spring and eye bolt for tension. (I retrospect, I probably should have made the idler arm "trailing" the belt, instead of leading it, but it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

No load tests went very well, but it's WAY to S-O-G-G-Y around here for any real world testing......time will tell....WOT engagement of the electric PTO clutch went off without a hitch...a good sign!!!!!

.....and Cub Cadet doesn't have a belt to direct drive a #2 tiller on a 982/SGT length frame.......now that's L...o...n...g
happy.gif

Charlie! I'm a-trying but it's not liking me this morning. Went to Parts & Service and typed in "100"... and it gets confused. Is it operator error?
crash.gif

John B.
Sometimes the look up isn't to user friendly, LOL

Type in 70 & 100 and that will get you there.

Gary C.

Click the Parts look up above.
Enter in the model of your tractor, hit enter, select assembly, click attachments and go from there.

Thanks
I did that. Not wanting to pay for a new spindle. Im sure the spindle can be repaired by replacing bearings or other parts. But was looking for past discussion on doing this or breakdown diagrams to internal spindle.

Gary C.
The exploded parts diagrams are in the Parts Look Up.
There is no step by step procedure that I've ever seen posted anywhere.
There's not that many parts to mess with anyway, LOL

Gary Camille

I believe the spindles on some decks are rebuild able and some are not. some you have to buy the complete spindle as an assembly. Not knowing what deck you have makes it hard to help.

Thanks Charlie & Don, I have used the parts look up quite often, so I get around it well. Could not find the internals of the spindle. This is on a 50" deck from a CC 129. Has some play in them, was wanting some information before digging into it. I should be good though. Thanks

Gary - get out your camera and take pictures as you go along .

Thanks,
The camera is another whole topic. That is not a mechanical thing. I can get it onto the computer, but into the forum is something else. If I remember right it is a sizing issue.
I did just test it for time after buying it and going though it. Tune-up, changed all fluids and filter, rebuilt front pto clutch, replaced missing mule wheels and parts, straightened some parts, grease, unfreeze tension pulley on deck, new belts, sharpen blades, adjust brakes.
All the normal stuff on a machine that was saved from a bad home. Mowed better than my 128. Still needs some adjusting. Some electrical problem just found, may be Gen./Starter. But that's for next weekend. I have a donor, may be the easiest way to check that.

My 1250 started having a nasty rattle as I began mowing this spring. I didn't notice it in the winter, and it got worse as the tractor warmed up.

I dug into it yesterday, and it turned out that the air duct around the muffler was causing the noise. Especially along the bottom where there is only 2 screws holding the pieces together.

I put a bead of silicone sealant on the parts and reassembled. It seems to be all better now. I don't think that I have read any posts about this being a problem. I wonder why it suddenly had gotten so bad, none of the screws were loose.
dunno.gif

Ken-

Go to Kirk Engines and check out his muffler crutch. I made one and it does seem to help. It sounds like you're getting ready to have a broken aluminum bracket.

Got some seat time on the 73 today. She walked right through some pretty heavy stuff. Awesome little tractor, that is till something happened and I lost all my throttle response and had to idle back to the shop.

Not to worry, broke out the 1200 and shoved a 50" under it to finish up with while chasing the G'Daughter around on the GTX2154LE.

Dave S

258167.jpg

Today was a good day. Got some plowing and disc'n done with the pair of the 73's. Thought it was a good time for some family photo's LOL

258178.jpg

Latest posts

Back