• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through April 08, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mpatterson, I just had to tear an Onan starter apart for almost the same reason. Brushes were gone. If you haven't rebuilt the starter for some time, that may be your problem.
KennyP

Kennyp

So what did you use to clean your starter with? Just an old toothbrush? No solvent? You had to pull you engine to remove the starter right?

Mike,

I would try jump starting it before pulling the engine. That will tell you if it's the battery or not.

Marty, I hope you didn't throw that seat away. It appears to be one of these only without the upholstery.

223799.jpg

223800.jpg

Art has one that he had reupholstered, oh and this is a 2-fer as his 100 has his reproduction Brinly Gard-N-Cart.

223801.jpg

223802.jpg

223803.jpg

223804.jpg

Here's the Brinly manual on the Gard-N-Cart. I left it full size but cut it into 3 pieces so I could post it and not make the screen wide.

223806.jpg

223807.jpg

223808.jpg

And here it is small, but in one piece.

223809.jpg

I found the pics I stole from somewhere of Arts 100, Gard-N-Cart and all. It looks to be one sweet little machine. That's why I stole the pics.

223813.jpg

223814.jpg

I'd like to hear more on the seat reupholstering. I have two seat pans like that. Was it very expensive?

Too late Norm, I have it all stripped down and ready to be lifted from the frame of the tractor. I went to pick up a chain hoist and some electrical conector spary at Canadian Tire when I went to pick up our supper from the Fire Department Fundraiser not far from here tonight. Supper was great!
devil2.gif

So I was able to get a nice chain hoist that should be more than enough for my purposes. It was a little more money than I wanted to spend, but didn't want to take a chance in dropping the engine if I just used a rope and pully in the ceiling tied off to the tractor frame. Last thing I needed to do is smash the oil pan all the heck because I was being cheap! So after work tomorrow I will rig up the hoist to the ceiling of the garage, bought some 3-1/2" lags to secure it to rafters. Then I will lift out the Onan and see what I have. Anything special I should know about the starter removal and cleaning - other than DO NOT DROP ANY PARTS! Anything I should change on it while I have it out of the tractor? Maintenance things, or just clean it up and away ya go?

Greetings all. Just wanted to mention I got the 128 running, at least as far as current testing goes. Took off the gas tank and cleaned it out. Blew compressed air through line into the tank. Seems to run good. Ground too wet for real testing but ran strong for 15 minutes.

Thanks for the advice.

Andy

What a great day in the northeast, (finally). Got all the tractors out and played with them,.I mean worked them. The 125 starts hard and then has a knock when its running. I idled it down to talk to neigbor and it stalled. Then I couldn't get it to start. Tryed an hour later and it started right up. Any body have any ideas? Could the knock be because I did'nt put those spring clips back in the PTO?

Hello

Tried to fire up CCO4740 today to do a little Spring Clean Up, and all I could get was sputtering and coughing for minutes at a time, Gas was drained last fall, put in fresh w/ Stabil. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Well after seeing the last three posts, I feel pretty good. Started the 120 from it's fall and winter rest, fired right up. :cool: The 1600 has been on snowthrower duty and is minus the snowthower now, the 1200 lite up pretty well and the FARMALL H has seen limited action and may even go for a tractor ride very soon before spring plowing. Been using SEA FOAM and seems to work well for me anyhow.

Have the engine out of the 149. Bore looks great other than a mirror finish all the way. The compression rings have nice tension However the oil rings lay flat in the groove. Am hoping that this is all that is wrong. Seems a shame for only 200 hours from new.

Wayne/Kraig-
My daughter laughed as she was looking over my shoulder when I logged into the forum and there was a picture of "her" tractor (I let her think that anyway..) when the screen popped up.

Wayne-
The seat was done by a local upholstry shop, and it cost $100 to have it done. I had another one done for a friend and had to "remind" the shop-owner that it was "only" $100 for the first one as he wanted to charge more.

Bit of a problem. After I installed the hydro, I readjusted to find neutral again per cubfaq # 45. Works okay until I use the hydraulic lift, then the tractor starts moving in reverse. I stomp on the brake, and it still wants to move backwards. Anyone know what is wrong?

MIke, not sure which Onan you have. I got my starter off without pulling the motor, two bolts from flywheel side. When you get it out and take apart, watch for springs for the brushes falling out. Brake parts spray and toothbrush should clean real good.
KennyP

Since I had access to the thermal camera from work, I thought I'd play around a bit and see what our cubs look like in infrared. These were just taken this morning fooling around. I don't have a tree to hitch to and the pickup was not available so I just ran the engine and here's what I saw.

At startup - the muffler
223827.jpg

The head next to the sparkplug
223828.jpg

The drivebelt to the hydraulics
223829.jpg

And some more at W.O.T.,

the muffler again
223835.jpg

This is the belt again but, I noticed a high temp on the upper left.
223836.jpg

Which turns out to be the back of the generator!
223837.jpg

And I tried to get some pics of the head without the muffler in the shot. This is the temp reflecting from a headbolt
223838.jpg

Latest posts

Back