• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Ag tires for XT3 GSX

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh come on......!!It cant be that bad!
I deal with this every spring and fall and don't consider it a big deal.
Do I look forward to it? no.
Bit get it done.
And this is for turf tires that are fluid filled with 2 link chains for the 882 and snow blade. It gets filled and weighted ag's for the summer and dirt work.
Just takes a little ingenuity is all.
I think you're looking for the cheapest way of getting pain-in-the-ass jobs done. Good for you. I want to be efficient with my time - open the shed door - remove or install the suitcase weights and I'm rolling, all in a minute. You know, this is ingenuity; never mind a quality of life issue.

Easiest way to be efficient with it is to install the wheels weights and just leave them on. They aren't going to hurt anything being there year round. My 782 has had its wheel weights on for about 8 years now.

I think you're looking for the cheapest way of getting pain-in-the-ass jobs done. Good for you. I want to be efficient with my time - open the shed door - remove or install the suitcase weights and I'm rolling, all in a minute. You know, this is ingenuity; never mind a quality of life issue.

Easiest way to be efficient with it is to install the wheels weights and just leave them on. They aren't going to hurt anything being there year round. My 782 has had its wheel weights on for about 8 years now.

To each his own. To duplicate 160 lbs on the back porch I'd need 80 lb wheel weights, a nuisance. Also, there's no difference in traction between the two. Old tractors, old tires, leaky rims. If wheel weights added something significant to traction that would be efficient. Back in the day my Elec-Trak needed more traction; rather than the cost of wheel weights I found a discarded weight set and made it fit. To anyone considering wheel weights, think again, there are many more back porch options.
Cheers Jack

Also my concern for the original poster of thos topic is that his hitch he made appears to stick back quite a bit further than the original hitch for the earlier tractors. He said himself he might have to add weight to the front. This would be because the weight might end up being to far back in this particular case. Wheel weights would avoid all this imo. I will be 58 next month and I still don't consider wheel weights that bad to deal with. All thread with a nut on both sides of the wheel nut on outside to hold weight on. Take nut off, slide weight off take wheel off. Not seeing the big deal. But do what works for you be all means.

A weight box adds weight to the axle bearing's load. Wheel weights and liquid filled tires are "unsprung" weight and adds no additional load on the bearings.
While this is true, making mass rotate is the hardest thing for an engine or pump to do. How much extra wear are we putting on the hydro and engine by making them spin an extra 55lbs per wheel?

I personally, have both wheel weights with loaded tires and an additional 150lbs and the back porch, and have had for about 6 years, on my 1650 while snow blowing. My 1862 gets a very similar treatment, but left on year around as it's a dedicated snow tractor.

While this is true, making mass rotate is the hardest thing for an engine or pump to do. How much extra wear are we putting on the hydro and engine by making them spin an extra 55lbs per wheel?

I personally, have both wheel weights with loaded tires and an additional 150lbs and the back porch, and have had for about 6 years, on my 1650 while snow blowing. My 1862 gets a very similar treatment, but left on year around as it's a dedicated snow tractor.
I'm quite confident these machines can handle the additional load and stresses without worry.

This is my question:I have an FEL
Better to load the wheels and add weights, to add the weight box. I am thinking the weight box adds leverage and will assist with steering effort. the energy needed to rotate addition wheel weight might be taxing the driveline.
Or simply use both? I took the weight out of the box and wasn't getting the job done. Ag tires, working on concrete.

Weight in a rear mounted box will give you more leverage making the front end lighter. While wheel weights added to the rear wheels will not affect the force on the front axle however no matter where you add weight to the tractor the driveline will feel a very similar load on it relative to the amount of weight added no matter if it is to the rear weight box or to the rear wheels. Be that as it may the driveline is much more likely to fail from hitting something solid and not from the weight added. Kraig actually has a photo somewhere of a cub cadet with 16 sets of IH wheel weights on it. Keep spiral pins on hand they are what usually gives out.

IMG_4846.jpeg

IMG_4845.jpeg

It's a photo someone took as a joke and shared here 15 or 20 years ago. Doubt the tractor was even driven like that.

Latest posts

Back