• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

982 Front PTO Balance Washer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfriesen

displayname
Marion Friesen
I have a question regarding the front PTO on the 982 with the original Onan.
While mowing, the sheave and friction disc broke loose from the bearing hub. I have ordered the replacement armatue (as it is called in the parts book) and hope to install it this weekend. The question is what is the function of the "balance weight washer" used on the shoulder bolt that holds the assembly captive on the crankshaft. The washer is lead and appears to be mounted several ounces off center of centerline of the crank. The IH engineers no doubt had a reason to call for it to be installed. It's function is intended for balance of the PTO rotor only I would think since the hub,sheave,disc assy. (armature) are disengaged when the PTO is disengaged.
The concern is the indexing of the counter weight washer to the crankshaft when the new armature assembly is reinstalled. When removing the captive shoulder bolt for the PTO with a rattle wrench, will the washer remain stationary or rotate with the bolt, thus rotating the index mark that I would scribe on it? I would think it would be necessary to index it the original arc position on the crank that the engineers called for. I don't have any pictorial of just the washer and shoulder bolt other than the parts illustration.
The manual is very vague and when I asked the local IH/Case service manager, he said to just install the unit, put in the bolt and tighten 'er up. Not my style! I have found over the years, the more you understand the problem, the easier and more satisfactory the solution.
I mistakenly posted this request for information and/or opinion on the main form.
Following from TC 193-H:
56499.jpg

Back