• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Zero Turn Trash Picker-Upper

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.knutson

displayname
John K
I noticed the lawn service company that does a Sinclair gas station near me has 5 gallon buckets with reacher/grabber tools for picking up debris while mowing. I thought it was a pretty neat idea, and Costco happened to have a 2 pack of grabbers for $12 so I picked some up.

I used a smaller bucket, but it worked so well that I am now looking at making a 5 gallon holder that mounts somewhere more out of the way. I filled the bucket with sticks a couple of times, and picked up some random debris that must have blew in from the road.

The bucket wanted to move around/tip over so I put a chunk of heavy scrap metal in to keep it down, I think if I were to settle on having the bucket in that location I would look for a very strong magnet to set in the bottom of the bucket to keep it in place. There are some companies that make attachments that mount on the frame to hold a bucket, but they look so simple that I figured it would be a nice opportunity to do some welding.

Example of a bucket mount: Fab Works OEM | Zero Turn Mower Attachments

Here's the setup I used yesterday:
IMG_20200727_182519.jpg

I will admit that it's a PITA to shut the deck off, set the parking brake before getting out of the seat on my zero turn, it IS a Cub Cadet LZ54 TANK, but stuff like BIG limbs, had a Birch limb has to be 8+ ft long fall the other day, 3-4" diameter, those I mow around, the end of the deck pushs them out of the way so no unmowed strips. I mow around 600 feet of roadbank, normal for soda bottles and beer cans on my rural road, I chew them up and blow them back into the road. I've only seen one whiskey bottle so far in 29 years, I stopped and tossed it across the road.

Dennis,

The parking brake thing may have been a big complaint to CC.... On my ULTIMA ZT1 54", when you push the control bars "out" to be able to get off the mower, the parking brakes automatically set. Make it nice when you need to hop off, or loading on the trailer... it doesn't wander off.....

On my Hustler, pushing the control bars out is the [only] way to set the parking brake, I believe. It is slightly annoying when it's stored in my shed and I want some extra space on the side to lean stuff against the wall.

This is really not a big deal, but if I had to pick something to complain about it would probably be that or the difficulty reaching the hydro release pins (so I can push the mower around when my kid is asleep).

Can't wait to get it out again this spring, I miss the smell of fresh cut grass.

SCOTT - That setting the parking brake by pushing the control bars off to the side does sound like a good idea. But that's my only complaint with my CC. If I had to buy a new mower, it would be a SKAG, Son is a Quality Engineer at their #1 plant. Been there a year.
The hydro CC tractors I never trusted just leaving them sitting idling, had to set the brake, latch the pedal. My gear drives would idle all day and never move.

I have a Toro zero turn with notches cut in back frame from factory so you can sit a 5 gallon pail on the little "tabs". I've yet to use it, but have seen guys who do. There is one on either side at the back.

That park brake lever is a PIA I find. None of my other tractors require it, so my brain hates it.
While picking at things bot liked on mowers.... Toro release levers to roll around, dumb placement between frame and engine! Not to mention the PTO button that you pull up to engage - hit it every time with elbow when going under tree limbs along on ditch. Have to remind myself to hold arm in stupid position to NOT turn it off when mowing there. 🤦‍♂️

Back