• If you're having trouble logging into your account , you can Reset Password
Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Worn bearing hole on wheel

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

gloughery

displayname
George Loughery
Howdy, any advice on how to tighten up a worn hole on a wheel? The picture is a front wheel, but the bearing does not fit tight and it spins freely. On the lower left you can see where PO must have tried to tighten it by making an ident, but it didn’t work. How do I fix this the right way? Thanks folks!
57EF7AA5-1784-4577-8F3A-180F62618497.jpeg

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Howdy, any advice on how to tighten up a worn hole on a wheel? The picture is a front wheel, but the bearing does not fit tight and it spins freely. On the lower left you can see where PO must have tried to tighten it by making an ident, but it didn’t work. How do I fix this the right way? Thanks folks!
View attachment 137444
I had one like that once, I took a 1x3 board, cut the end the same diameter of the hub, heated up pretty good with a map gas torch and started banging away around it until it was round again. Then heated it up again and hosed it down to re-temper it a little.

glippert

displayname
Greg Lippert
My local machine shop put a thin steel shim in mine 10 years ago - bearing stays put now.

abthomas

If you can get it pretty round again as digger said and if it still doesn't hold you could try one of these loctite products they'll take up from about .005 -.020 in a loose brg fit. had good success with these products in an industrial setting ! Maybe 8-10 bucks for a small bottle,only takes a few drops though !

Attachments

jbland

displayname
Jonn A Bland
take a hammer and bang the hub several times all around it, then repeat it bearing is still loose continue until the bearing is tight, I have fixed several of these by doing this

gloughery

displayname
George Loughery
All good ideas, thank you. I’ll try them and see which works best for this one. I learned a good lesson upgrading to 1” spindles — I now have nice new and expensive tires mounted on 1” wheels and have only one tractor with 1” spindles. So now I have to either buy new tires for my 3/4” wheels, or upgrade some axles. Also bought some extra 3/4” spindles; amazing how things like wheels bearings and tires add up over $500 real quick!

Group builder