• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Work begins on 104

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m having the same issue on my 104. New clutch last month. Yes, I lubed the pilot bushing. I’m wondering if the three dowel pins on the pressure plate are the issue. The plates are brand new, but the pins might have profited from some smoothing and some white lube.

I would not lube the pins on the clutch driver...no matter how careful you are, it will end up on the friction disc, and the clutch will slip.

If the pilot bushing is lubed, the engine may not be properly aligned with the driveshaft, causing it to bind. Loosen the 4 mounting bolts and see if you can shift the engine around a bit so that it spins freely, and then retighten the bolts.

Thank Matt! I will give the engine alignment a try. I have not lubed the 3 driver pins. I did clean them up with a scotch bright pad before assembly. I did replaced the driver plate bushing.

New seat and shoes in the rear!
2D397C68-4138-4B3E-AD2B-45EEF25F913A.jpeg

Seems that many of the small parts have been missing on this tractor. Looking at the online parts look up it is a little tough to figure out exact bolt specs. Does anyone have any suggestions on bolts to mount the hood?

Seems that many of the small parts have been missing on this tractor. Looking at the online parts look up it is a little tough to figure out exact bolt specs. Does anyone have any suggestions on bolts to mount the hood?

There should be a bushing spot welded to the inside edges of the hood to reinforce that area and provide a surface for a 3/8" bolt and washer to ride on.

I use a stainless bolt with the head on the outside and a plastic washer under the head and a ny-lock nut and washer on the inside.

This area of the hood/s are prone to damage and twisting from carless opening and closing and the bushings are often broken off and the holes torn and ripped.

If set up right, the bolt and outside washer will turn with the hood when opened, pivoting inside the grill casting

Good luck with your repairs and happy new year!!

Hopefully this isn’t a indication of how 2021 will go! Still waiting on steering shaft but figured I could put my extra steering column in from my 782. After a few minutes steering column in and hood attached. Finally able to actually drive the tractor! First test run off to check the mailbox - 0.5 miles down road. Made it 3/4 of the way and tractor started to surge and then stalled! Would not restart!!

Needless to say a walk back home to grabbed the 1512 and hauled the 104 back to the house.

8C6CA4CD-07D3-4E0C-A8FA-90F681D59AC6.jpeg

After a few minutes of problem solving I found the issue! Helps to put gas into the fuel tank! 😜. Strange that these tractors need gas to run!!

After driving the tractor around for a while I made a few minor adjustments to carb. Grinding during shifting mostly gone. I suspect a little more time on the tractor will fix that issue.

Happy New Year to everyone and thanks for all your help on this project.

You a member on OCC? I've definitely seen that 1512 before. Pretty cool loader setup I must say!

That's cool. Knew I recognized the one-armed loader. Not something you see often but very cool nonetheless!

3rd hour meter installed! Teach me to buy the really cheap hour meter. 1st arrived dead/non working. Company replaced it free but 2nd lasted a few tenths of an hour then died. Ordered another brand but USA made! I know a digital hour meter on a 50 year old tractor may bother some people but I like the way it looks :cubwinker:

FA439657-2796-47FC-9ECD-9E2C07547FAF.jpeg

Getting close to 2 hrs on the tractor. Still waiting for steering shaft as it was lost in the mail. Replacement part should be shipped soon (Thanks Houtz). Just installed new muffler, new hood bumpers, rubber hood latches and grill springs (Thanks CCspecialties).

Wow what a reduction in rattling!

Mechanical rebuild pretty much done. Tractor will get a new coat of paint come spring.

997933D8-ADBF-4436-885B-83DB1260DA4D.jpeg

Bernie,a little tech.is a good thing or we wouldn't all have cell phones. Sooo I'm sending a pic. of my 122 with led headlights just to give you something to think about.As you said" I like the look" congrats on progress.

Attachments

• 100_1327.JPG
    100_1327.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 315
Ready for the 5 hr oil change! While I haven’t done a lot with the 104 it has become my go to small trailer hauler! Really like the gear drive for pulling hauling on the woods trail. Just put it in 1st and away you go!

0F8784DF-19B9-4D9F-BC33-E4FF252983AC.jpeg

Back