• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Wiring Mag 18 into 782

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschmidt

displayname
Smitty
About two years ago we put a new Kohler Mag 18 into a red CCC 782 after the Series 1 had problems. Everything seems to work fine (starting, charging) except the lights go on when the key is turned on and won't go off unless the fuse is removed even though the light switch is turned off. I imagine we're missing something very simple.
Also, what is the purpose of the relay #725-1375 that I have a schematic of? It has been posted that that relay is needed on the 782 w this engine replacement as the Mag 18 has electronic ignition. Please clarify. Are the 2 connected somehow? Also, what brand/mfg. is the 725-1375 relay? Is it a CCC part or is it generic? Thanks much.

I don't have any help for ya Dave, other than.
725-1375 has been discontinued and superseded by the following number(s):

MTD-925-1375. MTD Parts/725-1375/7251375 $20.76

Dave S:

I could possible help you out here "IF" you were to supply a wiring diagram of what you got this 782 wired.

Thanks Charlie. Roland, I will try to do that when it warms up a bit.

In the meantime, could someone post a schematic of the wiring diagram in a 782 w the reg. KT17? Perhaps that would help me locate the error.
Thanks.

Dave S:

Here is my Wiring Schematic for 782's above S/N 720,000
32364.jpg

Thanks Roland. This one is 720216. I hope to check it out as soon as I can get to it.
32372.jpg

My "duh." Lights on the newer CCC version 782's always have the lights on when the key is on, according to my local IH dealer/guru. It's a safety feature? To turn them off there are two choices: remove the fuse (like I used to do) or wire in a switch dedicated to the lights.
He also shared the following- both the ignition/PTO fuse and the fuse for the lights (which are side by side on the dash) are supposed to be 15 amp according to his manual; however, he advised using a 20 amp or more fuse in the left or PTO fuse holder as they have found older and "cold" PTO's have more of a tendency to draw current in excess of 15 amps when kicking in during the winter i.e. with snowthrower, etc. I haven't read of that occuring but perhaps some of you have.

Dave,

Lights on thing is not true. They come on with the ignition switch.

Dave S:

Here is the "orientation" of the key switch on my 782. The lights simply turn off in the "ignition only" position.
32573.jpg

Considering you brought up the issue of safety, I would NOT use any larger fuses than 15 Amp. The wiring is sized at 14 GA wire and that will only carry 15 Amps. By upsizing the fuse, the wire will burn before the fuse pops, thus defeating the purpose.
I don't think I would agree with what you have been told. Resistance (Ohms) is NOT going to significantly change that much due to ambient conditions. If cold weather effects a PTO, it has to be "other issues".

What the hey!
bash.gif

My 782 has a key switch which has only 3 postions as opposed the one you pictured, Roland, which shows 4. My key has 1 off, 2 lights and ignition, and 3 start. I assume the PO put in an incorrect switch?

Thanks for the headsup on the fuses as well. Dave

(Message edited by dschmidt on November 29, 2005)

Thanks Roland. Also, on the diagram you posted, is the wiring harness color coded and attached to the terminal letters as shown? (i.e red to "S" and blue to "L") I'm assuming yes. (sorry, I don't have the 782 available for inspection)

I apologize for even starting this thread but I did find out what the problem was. One can never assume a PO used OEM parts.

Dave S:

You are welcome.

I have drawn up a new Wiring Schematic for the 782. It is a little more simplified. It is mostly color coded correctly.

32609.jpg

I also have drawn up a schematic for a 782 with a M-18 if you like also.

Roland. Thanks. Sure, if you could post one w the Mag 18 it might help others as well.

Back