• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

winter projects to stay busy

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, here is what kept me busy this winter taking away from CUB time. the wall cabinet on the left is this past Dec-Feb, on the right is last Dec-Mar. made from slabbed ash from my brother-in-law, glued up. next weekend, we start on the cubs.

Attachments

• cabinet 2.19.2022.jpg
    cabinet 2.19.2022.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 105
Those look great Randy, almost too good for a garage!

well, here is what kept me busy this winter taking away from CUB time. the wall cabinet on the left is this past Dec-Feb, on the right is last Dec-Mar. made from slabbed ash from my brother-in-law, glued up. next weekend, we start on the cubs.
Randy, that ash has got some awesome grain..Are you going to enhance it some? Great job..

Jay, chromic acid works good on birdseye as well except I wouldn't let darken as much....thanks for the kind comments guys...!!!
Gary, I finally got around to splitting the fire wood that the previous owner left when we bought this house in May. He said it was all hard maple, and he was correct, about 3 full chords of it. But when I started splitting, I almost got sick, maybe even cried. 90%of it was spalted, I sorted through and saved about 40, 20 inch long chunks that weren't split out on the ends. I even told my wife "gary would be sick if he saw this" Then she just rolled her eyes and said "let me guess, he's in your cub junkie group!" I just smiled.
20220220_124011.jpg

Jay, I've made a few things out of spalted maple finished with oil then poly, it can look great. The hard part is getting while still solid... Yrs ago local town said I could have hard maple tree about 4 ft in dia already cut in 18" blocks.Roughly 12 ft long ALL curly...sickening at least.. I managed to save a couple blocks for pistol stocks and knife handles...45 deg. here today,garage work coming soon maybe 2 more weeks.....pics done with c. acid for junker shotgun turned out pretty good 'eh

Attachments

• 100_1531.JPG
    100_1531.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1532.JPG
    100_1532.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 81
Jay, I've made a few things out of spalted maple finished with oil then poly, it can look great. The hard part is getting while still solid... Yrs ago local town said I could have hard maple tree about 4 ft in dia already cut in 18" blocks.Roughly 12 ft long ALL curly...sickening at least.. I managed to save a couple blocks for pistol stocks and knife handles...45 deg. here today,garage work coming soon maybe 2 more weeks.....pics done with c. acid for junker shotgun turned out pretty good 'eh
That's probly the purdiest bunny blaster around! From what I can see you did very well inletting the tang. Do you have a stock duplicator? I've only done 3 wooden stocks. All walnut. I've done quite a few synthetic stocks, I just made a new one last year for my 300m comp rifle. Glass bedding the action in all of them. Here's my comp rifle, it's very similar in shape to a military m40 stock, but the forend is over 3 inches wide to be more stable at the bench. 20220220_223651.jpg20220220_223810.jpg
45°!!! I won't see that for awhile! All weekend they have been forecasting the worst winter storm of the season starting tomorrow. I've heard 8-12 inches from the radio station over an hour south, and 16-24 from the radio station an hour west, so basically 8-24 inches, with spats of over 4 inches per hour, depending on what radio station I'm listening to. I can't wait!! The Cyclops and I are ready! And if needed, so are the 1650, the loboy, and the xt2!

Jay, that might be synthetic but sure looks like flame maple grain..beautiful!!....You yoopers can keep that winter crap up there as long as you want ,I'm past ready to go back outside all day...I've got down trees to cut(aug. storm), 5 mowers to repair (2 are cubs),refurb a 129, soon after turkeys to chase ,gills to harvest and then it should be summer...whew got tired just thinkin' good luck with the storm and tell your wife I'm just a tad crazy also...

I gotta admit, I'm getting closer to being ready for spring. Nothing gets my heart racing like skinny water smallies!!! I'm more than ready to double over a st Croix rod and tell my bride to "get the net!"

I gotta admit, I'm getting closer to being ready for spring. Nothing gets my heart racing like skinny water smallies!!! I'm more than ready to double over a st Croix rod and tell my bride to "get the net!"
Jay, not to make you envious but....49 deg today with all sunshine..wow !! We did a military funeral outside today and it was comfortable for a change ..amen to "get the net"......it's comin'

Randy, that ash has got some awesome grain..Are you going to enhance it some? Great job..
thanks, i had put 1 coat of polyurethane on it all, and 2 on face, side and tops of all shelves. all the ash i have cut up for projects so far has had good looking grain. to think, my brother in law almost cut this up for fire wood. he did on 4 - 11' logs before i got these 6.

Those are beautiful!

Speaking of firewood, some years back I had some maple that I cut up not knowing at the time that it was nicely figured. Gave new meaning to the term "Flamed Maple"... I posted about it here:

Maple Firewood

thanks, i had put 1 coat of polyurethane on it all, and 2 on face, side and tops of all shelves. all the ash i have cut up for projects so far has had good looking grain. to think, my brother in law almost cut this up for fire wood. he did on 4 - 11' logs before i got these 6.
Randy, buy a cheapy size light oak stain and try it on a scrap piece before poly..I think it will make the grain jump a little more....just a suggestion...

Back