• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

winter projects to stay busy

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
I just have a thing about making knives in the winter...Keeps me busy and it keeps the sense of accomplishment flowing...Here in Mich. we have been below freezing for several days so rather than clean house I went to my other work area, the basement... This blade was a former Nicholson hacksaw blade,very hard indeed.Can't touch it with a file so one must be careful grinding also...The teeth were in unused condition so I opted for a survival type blade..The handle is dried elk leg bone.Lots of small file work, brass nails for looks as well as inlayed blue glass beads that were ground with a dremel back flush. The butt cap is walnut.. I do use J.B. weld during assembly,it really is some tough epoxy....I've made a lot of blades from old crosscut and round mill saws,they are all at least 50 rc...So what do the rest of you pursue to keep your hands busy...I used to build muzzleloaders but the cost of parts doesn't fit my budget these days...

Attachments

• 100_1497.JPG
    100_1497.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_1501.JPG
    100_1501.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_1498.JPG
    100_1498.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 107
I absolutely love twisting wrenches on my 3 cubs, but they are so darn tough, I don't get to do it much. I take up wood working to pass the time up here in the yoop. Winters are typically turn white in October and last till April or may, so I got time! I bought a cheap harbor freight lathe 2 years ago to see if I'd like turning, and I absolutely love it! I typically make bowls, but I decided I'd try to make a cup and saucer this weekend, the saucer is beautiful, but the glue on the cup failed, epically!
20220109_144852.jpg
20220109_144857.jpg
20220109_144857.jpg
20220108_220419.jpg
20220108_220149.jpg

Jay, nice walnut saucer...I have a cheapy lathe but have turned way too many candle holders. The most unique ones were 3 different woods glued together(and clamped). This makes a very interesting effect. A guy I know used to make bowls that way....thanks for the reply...

I enjoyed making candle holders but in metals. Brass, Stainless, Bronze were my favorites.
I sold some here and there... the best sellers were actually tiny.. made to hold the candles used for birthday cakes.

Hmm... I never thought of making candle holders. I'll have to try to spin a few to see how they turn out.
I've always been fascinated by blades, I have collected more than I care to count. Store bought and ones pounded out by craftsmen. My favorite is one my wife surprised me with from Daniel Casey. He owns and operates Casey arms, and he had his own show on history Channel called iron and fire I think. I would be interested in one of yours if you're into selling your creations.

.Mike my smallest knife is a turkey toe with jig saw blade reshaped....sometimes miniatures are a serious challenge and I don't have a metal lathe (damn)

Love the woodwork Gary. Mini's are a challenge and making them identical is always the hard part.

Mike, The only identical things I ever made were derringer type dueling pistols...very difficult indeed to make them exact because it was all hand work...not sure it was worth it...

The problem with something like a candlestick holder is it's such a wide open concept, you can put flutes into the shaft and it fits, more plateaus and returns everyone oohs and ahhs.. but to duplicate it and have them match I find such a challenge. a matched pair of derringers sound so cool! Building to a print - that's why they call it work right?!?!? LOL

I purchase 5 K series Kohler engines that need rebuilt. I have 2 more engines at home that need rebuilt. There are times I see on the different sites someone is looking for a short block-complete engine for there tractor or looking for someone to rebuild their engine. It's a good way to keep my mind and hands busy plus make a few $$$$
This will give me something to do while I take care of my Parents.

Gary, thank you for the ideas with the candle holders. Those are beautiful, and something my mother and bride would both like. Not to mention a pair would look nice on my mantle! My son is in the infantry at fort Stuart. I've been shopping around for a bushcraft type blade for him, something with a thick spine and a 4-5 inch blade. A drop point would be preferred, with maple or walnut scales, and a full tang. Something like the attached photo. Is that something you would be able to pound out, or would be interested in doing?
Bushcraft2.jpg

The problem with something like a candlestick holder is it's such a wide open concept, you can put flutes into the shaft and it fits, more plateaus and returns everyone oohs and ahhs.. but to duplicate it and have them match I find such a challenge. a matched pair of derringers sound so cool! Building to a print - that's why they call it work right?!?!? LOL
Mike, the last derringers were custom built for someone,fitted in a cherry box.I was quite pleased with my effort. He complained about a very tiny scratch (tiny) .That was the last built to fill an order.Since my attitude has been, if you like it fine, if you don't so what..

Jay, my blades all come from old saws,circular mill type,crosscut,large hacksaws.The first question,are you sure they will let him carry it? My grandson says if it's not military issue they won't allow it. He's Navy tho..I doubt even a wood handle would be acceptable today in a military setting...I do make a survival type with saw teeth but they will have bone handles.

Attachments

• knives 004.JPG
    knives 004.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 119
  • knives 005.JPG
    knives 005.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 87
  • knives 1 25 15 003.JPG
    knives 1 25 15 003.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_1501.JPG
    100_1501.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 91
Beautiful blades! I guess I just assumed they would. They let us carry any blade we wanted when I was active duty navy, but the sf community is very different from conventional navy. I switched my edc between a Benchmade nimrivus and a buck 104. But I've been out for coming up on 5 years, and I know the times have already changed. He's out in the field for a few more days, I'll let you know what he says.

If you have problems with the glue try Hughes tool company they got the epoxy that the Cat Company and NASA use with the applicator and you can’t bet it !!!

Nice work Gary And Jay! It’s kinda funny, some knives have teeth on the blades, others have teeth on the handles.

Back