• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

winter projects to stay busy

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gary!
How far are you and Jay from each other, I know Michigan is sizeable...
I don't think I've ever heard of chromic acid, looking forward to trying that on a pen project. It's a good place to start, the typical pen blank is 3/4 x 5 prior to sizing. The most common finish is turning polish which is applied and turned applying pressure to generate heat, so this will be a different path.
I also have a couple of gallons of resin that I bought to dabble in the live edge/river table arena bit haven't done my first project yet. A man has got to have some hobbies....
Curt
Curt, Jay is almost in Wisconsin,I'm 18 mi. from the Ohio line ,roughly 500 mi. apart...He's a "yooper",I'm a troll ,(below the bridge).....Usually my experiments go to daughters as gifts(if they're good) I've backed off quite a bit from putting too much in their homes but a resin project is on my list...My hobbies are now a way of life..probably too many ....

yesterday's evening project .turkey leg knife.... one has to wait a yr for the leg to dry

Attachments

• 100_1524.JPG
    100_1524.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_1525.JPG
    100_1525.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 58
350. ,my friend runs a 400 but has overheating problems due to thinner cylinder walls. He says.
On the big block and the 400 the number 8 piston has to have a little more clearance on the ring gap and piston wall to piston do to heat for that reason it’s an old trick a machinist showed me as a kid in 74 at a Chevy shop when I bought a blowed up 350/350 hurst/SS RALLY Camaro I still have a for both 400 I’m putting in my 56 GMC pick up !!!

Attachments

• B0D86BFA-E8F9-40EF-94EB-C78AF7DC44D9.jpeg
    B0D86BFA-E8F9-40EF-94EB-C78AF7DC44D9.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 81
  • 587B68FB-C724-4D8D-A02F-59D557C06AD4.jpeg
    587B68FB-C724-4D8D-A02F-59D557C06AD4.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 75
Curt, Jay is almost in Wisconsin,I'm 18 mi. from the Ohio line ,roughly 500 mi. apart...He's a "yooper",I'm a troll ,(below the bridge).....Usually my experiments go to daughters as gifts(if they're good) I've backed off quite a bit from putting too much in their homes but a resin project is on my list...My hobbies are now a way of life..probably too many ....
Gary, you can't be far from where my wife and I grew up. We lived in northeast Indiana, she's from auburn, I lived 10 miles east in a small town called st Joe. It's about 10 miles west of Ohio, and about 35 or so miles south of the Michigan border. It's about a 9 and 1/2 hour drive from our house in the u.p. to auburn. I showed that turkey leg blade to my dad and I think he fell in love! He used to make clocks out of turtle shells. We used to do a lot of snapping turtle trapping when I was a kid. My dad would clean and dry the shells then mount the clock works in them and sell them.i think I still have one somewhere.

Gary, you can't be far from where my wife and I grew up. We lived in northeast Indiana, she's from auburn, I lived 10 miles east in a small town called st Joe. It's about 10 miles west of Ohio, and about 35 or so miles south of the Michigan border. It's about a 9 and 1/2 hour drive from our house in the u.p. to auburn. I showed that turkey leg blade to my dad and I think he fell in love! He used to make clocks out of turtle shells. We used to do a lot of snapping turtle trapping when I was a kid. My dad would clean and dry the shells then mount the clock works in them and sell them.i think I still have one somewhere.
Jay, been to Auburn to auto museum...using pieces parts is a cool thing ..I've made dance rattles out of turtle shells....clocks,that's interesting...

Attachments

• 100_1526.JPG
    100_1526.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 54
The 400 had some that had three freeze plugs along the side and the standard ones with two and you have to debur the block to remove stress points, mine is all TRW 30 over bore and .05 turn on crank, is a forged billet one !!! Mine a tall truck/vet block.

No vacuum secondary’s on this one !!!! Are you running solid or partial hydraulic lifters ??? Nice oil pan, I personally like a 425 torque converter, but it looks like you may run a high stall torque converter, (small diamitor) !!!!

Jay, an urge to share a walnut rifle box,built for a Marlin 38/55 mod. 1893.I had acquired some gorgeous walnut that had been stored in a corn crib for 30 yrs..Tried to use as much as I could in large pieces,also made some nightstands but the whole point is the grain.That's where the character lies in wood (p.o.).It was hard to get it in one pic to show front grain almost matches top...this winter project was 2 yrs ago

Attachments

• 100_1527.JPG
    100_1527.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_1528.JPG
    100_1528.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_1529.JPG
    100_1529.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1530.JPG
    100_1530.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 60
Jay, an urge to share a walnut rifle box,built for a Marlin 38/55 mod. 1893.I had acquired some gorgeous walnut that had been stored in a corn crib for 30 yrs..Tried to use as much as I could in large pieces,also made some nightstands but the whole point is the grain.That's where the character lies in wood (p.o.).It was hard to get it in one pic to show front grain almost matches top...this winter project was 2 yrs ago
It's hard to find grain like that! Nice score, and nice craftsmanship. You did that tree proud! I was at my parents today and took a picture of the leash holder I made them last year for their mini pincher. It's a scrap of Birdseye and walnut for the dog. I didn't really like that piece of Birdseye with the heart wood in it, but my bride said it's the chunk I had to use.
20220219_121837.jpg

Latest posts

Back