• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

winter projects to stay busy

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple years ago I had someone tell me that the files we use here in the shop were good for making knives,so when they were dull I started saving them instead of putting them in the scrap barrel. I have a couple dozen or so of various lengths. If you knife makers have any interest in them pm me your address and I'll send you some.
R. files are already hardened.They are hard to grind down correctly to avoid overheating the edge .They are much more brittle so it's easy to chip an edge and no side pressure or they can snap..I've made hundreds of knives,my personal favorite is large hacksaw blades.I also use old sawmill blades and crosscuts..They are tough but not brittle...Most will r/c in the mid 50's...My point of view,I don't do files anymore...It can be done tho...

Jay, I'm guessing the work on the mantle was challenging due to the size of the stock, it turned out great!
I really like the picture above the mantle also, were those your dogs or is that a commercially available print?
My wife got the painting for me, so I'm not sure if it's a print she found, or had someone do it for me. But, she said it was baby girl, our black lab that passed away last year, and our two puppies we have now, colt, which is a chocolate, and Ruger, which is a yellow. It still could be a print, but represents our 3 babies.

Jay,sending you some more ideas for woodworking....The buckets are pretty cool,I love the mixed wood ones...mine are just glued not dowelled..lots of info on utube..

Attachments

• winter work 004.JPG
    winter work 004.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 126
Jay,sending you some more ideas for woodworking....The buckets are pretty cool,I love the mixed wood ones...mine are just glued not dowelled..lots of info on utube..
I really like that bucket! That would be nice for holding kindling next to the fire place. You're clocks are a good idea as well, except yours are missing the best half of the state! 😆

Jay, I know I'm just a troll....My favorite buckets are mixed walnut,oak, cherry...great contrast..cedar if you want lots of grain.....there's 2 tapers involved some homework is necessary.
The township I work in has a public skating rink, but the ice is terribly rough every year. So this contraption has been my project this last week. I had to make a belly mount scraper blade, and turn a 55 gallon drum into a water tank that mounted to the cat 0 3 point. Then plumb up the spray bar, and mount the drag towel, which isn't done in these photos. So now, hopefully my redneck zamboni holds up and the kids can have a smooth sheet of ice. I might even grab the old stick and show them some puck handling!
20220202_101129.jpg
20220202_110108.jpg

The township I work in has a public skating rink, but the ice is terribly rough every year. So this contraption has been my project this last week. I had to make a belly mount scraper blade, and turn a 55 gallon drum into a water tank that mounted to the cat 0 3 point. Then plumb up the spray bar, and mount the drag towel, which isn't done in these photos. So now, hopefully my redneck zamboni holds up and the kids can have a smooth sheet of ice. I might even grab the old stick and show them some puck handling!View attachment 147772View attachment 147773
That cub is the wrong color!! 🤪

I agree gary. I love doing this kind of stuff. We never had a rink till 4 years ago my old neighbor and i made one near the local baseball field for his kids. The next year the township made small berms so we could contain the water better, they even let us use fire trucks to flood it. This year, they let me do that to their garden tractor! The pic is from this past Sunday, when our high temp was 3°, and there were 6 other kids sitting off the rink resting when I took the pic. This is awesome for the community, because the town is less than 300 total people. And those aren't hills around the rink, that's the snow bank!
image000000(5).jpg

Amazing you could even get 'em outta the house let alone ice skate!!
I agree and think most kids would actually enjoy getting out and having some fun...at least I know my boys would.
Around here, there really isn't much for the kids to do anymore that's actually fun, doesn't cost anything and isn't lame, mainly due to liability concerns and fear of bad behavior. That's sad and it's pretty awesome to see this 👍😎👍

The township I work in has a public skating rink, but the ice is terribly rough every year. So this contraption has been my project this last week. I had to make a belly mount scraper blade, and turn a 55 gallon drum into a water tank that mounted to the cat 0 3 point. Then plumb up the spray bar, and mount the drag towel, which isn't done in these photos. So now, hopefully my redneck zamboni holds up and the kids can have a smooth sheet of ice. I might even grab the old stick and show them some puck handling!

My city's public works department did something similar! I saw it being hauled by by house on a trailer and was curious, so I sent an email off the the public works director asking about it. I am meeting up with one of the employees tomorrow morning to take some pictures of it and get a "demo".

My city's public works department did something similar! I saw it being hauled by by house on a trailer and was curious, so I sent an email off the the public works director asking about it. I am meeting up with one of the employees tomorrow morning to take some pictures of it and get a "demo".
Post some pics of it! I love to see how things are done in the cities.

Well, 55 gallons was only enough water to cover a little more than half the rink, and I needed more weight up front than 3 suit cases. This jd x495 had a 1 1/4 receiver so I used that to build a platform for another barrel. Then plumbed the two together with 3/4 flexible water pipe from the local dpw. I officially have a zamboni that will cover the rink with the water onboard the machine, and she puts down a surprisingly good surface! It's the best outdoor ice I've seen in a LONG time, but still a far cry from indoor ice. (My scraper blade had a bolt come loose and was just hanging, so we removed it to finish the ice. That's why it's not in the photo. But it worked awesome... until the bolts I didn't tighten fell out. Doh!!!)
20220204_141255.jpg
20220204_152236.jpg

Due to the snow on the rinks (and still falling), a demo of the machine didn't work out Friday, but I did get a tour of the machine at the public works shop. The guy who did most of the work on it and operates it is going to text me next time they are out working the rinks so I can see it in action. There is an electric solenoid for the water so that it can be controlled from the cab, and hydraulic lift for the dump bed/ballfield drag is repurposed to raise and lower the towel. He said the towel would freeze to the ice so picking it up while still moving was crucial.

DSC_0751.jpg
DSC_0753.jpg

Latest posts

Back