• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Winter, 2019-2020

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1450 (needs some work and is missing some parts, side panels, air filter box, muffler and muffler box cover) that has the optional front outlets. It also has the cold weather start kit installed. This was going to be my new snow removal tractor but then the X-585 appeared...

View attachment 136399

What is the fate of that 1450 with John Deere taking over? Might we see it in the classifieds?

What is the fate of that 1450 with John Deere taking over? Might we see it in the classifieds?

Probably not. I hope to get it reconditioned and back in service as a spare, and perhaps with a rear lift so I can use it to plow my garden and /or wildlife food plots.

ok guys this is what I think is a haban 42" snowblower that came on a 1650 I traded for. I had it mounted and tried it out but appeared to me to not be working. Had just a couple inches of snow and it did make the snow disappear but no snow was coming out of the chute. To me it looks like the auger is turning wrong direction to shove snow out the chute? No video but maybe u guys can tell me if it looks like it should? Serious endeavor to put thing on and off tractor or I would have posted a video with it running.
haban1.JPGhaban2.JPG

Front appears to be a Haban, auger is correct. The auger should rotate such that when looking at it from the front the flights should pull the snow in, move it to the center and throw it up and out the chute. I am not familiar with the drive setup on the Hanan, so I can’t comment on that with any certainty.

I agree with above about the rotation, hers another way of thing about it the auger should turn toward the throat of the blower. Looking at the blower from the drivers side (the left from the seat), the auger should rotate from left to right or down at the front and up in the back. Unfortunately if it’s wrong it will not be easy to fix without major modification. However with anything that I ever had that was actual cub or mad for cub all rotations where correct. The other thing is if you not used to a single stage blower light snow is difficult to move, speed is you friend it’s not like a 2 stage. You must drive fast enough to stuff the snow in to the auger. I have a gravel driveway and live near Buffalo ny and used a 169 and qa42 though many blizzards, and until you get over 6” of snow you have to drive quite fast and it is difficult in light snow. Also you will notice that a pile of snow will form right in the middle of the deflection plate of the auger and this is normal just an inherent problem of a single stage. Just like a 2 stage gets a pile in the middle from the gear box of the feed auger. Hope this helps.

Haven't had much of a winter here yet. (N.E. Indiana)
Now that I'm out on the farm I have a new snow removal team member joining the regular IH team. This is my grampa's Allis Chalmers WD. Grampa bought it new back in '54 I believe. It's a '53 WD. I got the blade on it Saturday.
IMG_3633.JPG

Haven't had much of a winter here yet. (N.E. Indiana)
Now that I'm out on the farm I have a new snow removal team member joining the regular IH team. This is my grampa's Allis Chalmers WD. Grampa bought it new back in '54 I believe. It's a '53 WD. I got the blade on it Saturday.View attachment 136583

Great looking machine! My father in law has a WC that he used to develop his property in northern MN. I believe the plow blade is custom made from a DOT plow truck blade. It has hydraulic lift, gravity handles the dropping of it. It used to be used for plowing the driveway as well, but they now head south for the winter.

I took this picture after doing some grading in the parking area for a new cabin they are building on their property. It would have been really nice having that back blade for what I was doing!

IMG_20170805_132807.jpg

Schultzie - Your WD looks great! And it brings back a lot of childhood memories. My dad had a WD (narrow front) and the hand clutch made it the first tractor my brothers and I learned to use when we were 7 or 8 and our legs weren't quite long enough or strong enough to use the foot clutch. It had the rear lift arms, but we never had any rear lift attachments. I remember raising and lowering those arms, trying to imagine how they worked. Dad had a trip-bucket front loader with a narrow, forked bucket for cleaning manure out of the pole shed cattle barn and the manure pile that built up outside the dairy barn over the winter. We all learned how to back a two wheeled trailer by backing the manure spreader into position for Dad to load it. There was also a wide snow bucket that attached to the narrow bucket, and that was the only mechanized snow removal we had. Also used the WD for raking hay and then towing the filled hay racks from the field to the barn for storage. Our "big" tractors, for plowing (3-16,s) and other other heavy field work, was a wide front Oliver Super 88 (diesel) and narrow front Oliver 77 (gas). We also had an Allis Chalmers WC, with crank start - a real wrist-breaker for this skinny farmboy.

Sorry for rambling on - I retired a few months ago and have lots of time for reminiscing! Thanks for posting the picture and triggering some great childhood memories!

We also had an Allis Chalmers WC, with crank start - a real wrist-breaker for this skinny farmboy.
The first thing my father in law told me about it was to not wrap your thumb around the starter handle. When it doesn't want to start I get a real sweat worked up, fortunately it tends to start pretty quickly :cool:

I have posted some pics/videos of my cub in another thread, but here are some pics of the non-IH things in my winter arsenal:

Ariens ST520E (24"). This is my main snowblower, got it for cheap and had to weld in new nuts to hold the handle to the body. Starts on the first pull every time. I forgot to take pictures of new welded nuts before re-assembling, which is a bummer because if I recall correct, the welds turned out decent looking :)
IMG_20191020_171151.jpg

IMG_20191021_180131.jpg

Toro CCR Powerlite (16"). Got for free because it "didn't run", gave it a carb clean and it runs like a top now. The gas tank has a slow leak I have discovered, so I covered the small cracks in the bottom of the tank with JB Weld.
IMG_20191120_205331.jpg

IMG_20200105_193341.jpg

Toro S140 (sometimes called a Snow Pup). Another freebie, this one ran but it was rough and had a broken muffler so it was LOUD. I picked up another S140 off craigslist and used the best parts of each to make one good unit. Neither had a rust-free chain, but I got some bulk #35 chain at Fleet Farm for cheap and made my own.
IMG_20200101_011513.jpg

IMG_20191228_180830.jpg

Not Pictured:
Toro S620. This is very similar to the S140 but wider and with an electric start. The muffler melted through the lower shroud, so I have cleaned it all up and will re-assemble to see where I should patch it up, wrap exhaust, etc.

I am also working on making my own wood ash brine in an effort to further reduce my salt usage. The first batch didn't turn out too great, but I will try to grab some more pics while I filter my next batch and post them here. This looks like the only decent one I have handy from the first batch.
MVIMG_20200103_112538.jpg

I have posted some pics/videos of my cub in another thread, but here are some pics of the non-IH things in my winter arsenal:

Ariens ST520E (24"). This is my main snowblower, got it for cheap and had to weld in new nuts to hold the handle to the body. Starts on the first pull every time. I forgot to take pictures of new welded nuts before re-assembling, which is a bummer because if I recall correct, the welds turned out decent looking :)
View attachment 136591
View attachment 136592

Toro CCR Powerlite (16"). Got for free because it "didn't run", gave it a carb clean and it runs like a top now. The gas tank has a slow leak I have discovered, so I covered the small cracks in the bottom of the tank with JB Weld.
View attachment 136590
View attachment 136586

Toro S140 (sometimes called a Snow Pup). Another freebie, this one ran but it was rough and had a broken muffler so it was LOUD. I picked up another S140 off craigslist and used the best parts of each to make one good unit. Neither had a rust-free chain, but I got some bulk #35 chain at Fleet Farm for cheap and made my own.
View attachment 136588
View attachment 136585

Not Pictured:
Toro S620. This is very similar to the S140 but wider and with an electric start. The muffler melted through the lower shroud, so I have cleaned it all up and will re-assemble to see where I should patch it up, wrap exhaust, etc.
I forgot to mention, I plan to sell most or all of the Toros and put any proceeds towards stuff for my Cub.

I am also working on making my own wood ash brine in an effort to further reduce my salt usage. The first batch didn't turn out too great, but I will try to grab some more pics while I filter my next batch and post them here. This looks like the only decent one I have handy from the first batch.
View attachment 136593
Do you add white vinegar to your wood brine? Interesting you posted this, I was just thinking of trying this.

Back