• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Windows 8 + or -???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoffman

displayname
Tom Hoffman
Just got a new computer w/Windows 8. My other 'puter bit the dust. Any feedback???

I personally don't care for windows 8. If you come to the same conclusion there is a program you can download from Microsoft windows to make it act and look like windows 7.

I know if you enter the Windows key (two keys over to the left of the space bar) and "d" it looks like W/7. Everything .....so far.... seems to work OK, but sure doesn't like facebook. It's r e a l s l o w over there.

What web browser are you using? If facebook is slow try a different browser or update the one you are using.

Tom,
I had to get a new computer in January, it has windows 8. It is by far the most miserable POS thing I have ever tried to run. Cant find my pics or documents. Nothing is where it should be I truly hate it. Jim

Tom H - my B-i-L is an IT guru and he calls Windows 8 - Windows Hate, LOL.

I'm up to Windows 7 at the salt mine and at home my XP laptop went south and with Microsoft dropping support for it, I decided to make a change vs fix it.

My Wife and I have iPhones and really like them and the simplicity of them. So on the home front, I'm moving away from Windows and towards Apple. I recently bought an iPad Mini Retina and it is one awesome device. My next purchase is going to be a Mac Mini - which is an Apple CPU and you can take your old monitors, mouse and printers (via USB) and use them with the Mac - saving some $$$'s.

You know I've got my Wife and three kids, the youngest just turned 13. As you can understand it is a very busy time around our house with all the activities associated with a family like ours - Church, family, sports, and Scouting, you name it.

Back in the day, I could build a PC, set the dip switches, write some macros - pretty much do whatever I needed or was required to make a PC work - but now, I want a PC to be like the washer. Throw the clothes in it, add the detergent, close the lid, turn the dial to colors and push the ON button and forget it. For me, the apple solution so far is getting it done and it's very easy - almost majic.

Back to your original question - my guess is there is much merit in Windows 8 and once everyone learns it and becomes accustomed to it, they won't want to go back to an older operating system. I know at the salt mine about 5 years ago, we moved from a nice MRP system to SAP and EVERYONE hated it, but now, no big deal and it is a much more powerful system than we had. My guess is at some point Windows 8 or it's successor will be the same.

Good luck with your new PC!!!!!!!!!!!

For those stuck using Win 8, download and install the free program "classic shell" it will make it look and operate almost like Win 7. It is not perfect but it is much better than the stock Win 8.

thanks all for this info ,8 is driving me more nuts ,David

I don't do a whole hell of a lot on my computer other than show up here and there and run up some documents and do the newsletter for the International Harvester Collectors Club Chapter #2 of northern Illinois. I think I'm going to just tough it out.

Bill, as an IT guy for 30+ years, I can tell you for what you will pay for a Mac (of any kind) you can build yourself one heck of a PC. Sure there are advantages of having a system that works like your iPad and the simplicity of it, but much of your software will need to either be replaced or you will have to also install a Windows interpreter to use. You can still get a copy of Windows 7, and although it takes a little getting used to (in comparison to XP) it will still be supported by Microsoft until 2020.
My problem with Apple, is that everything is so expensive. I can buy all kinds of micro-USB ($1.50) cables for my Android phone but from the same third party company, a cord for charging my iPod touch is $6.00. Then Apple goes and switches from a 30 pin cable to a ~15 pin adapter. That's OK Apple says, you just need this $30 adapter to make your new device work with your old station. If you really want to go to the Mac OS, look into building a Hackintosh. A little more limited in your selection of what peripherals will be needed, but about 2/3 the cost of buying a Mac.

Stephen G. - thanks for the reply and info.

Moving to the Apple platform for me isn't so much about saving $$$'s, even though the Wife/Boss is wrappin' my knuckles for having so much $$$'s tied up in outdoor power equipment.

I've got much going on between work and family and everything else it seems and even though I could probably muddy through building a Windows PC, I just want to give the Apple stuff a try. Not doing anything crazy with it and so far it is working pretty good with minimal effort on my part on the front end. We'll see if a Mini Mac works out. A friend of mine is using one in a server role - not sure what he is doing with that, but if the Mac doesn't work out for us, maybe Windows 9 or 10 will be out and the next best thing!

Again I appreciate the info!!!!!!!!!!

I have moved video and pictures from the 3 sd cards I had taken out of the camera since 2002 to today. Moved them 50 at a time and I`am beat lol. I think I still have a few to go. Now to put them all in order to tractor : starting from my 61 Cub . That will take me a day I bet . I will try split screen and copy and past to all the other folders, 13 I think should do it .
bash.gif

Since it going to be a W/8 version form here on out I best figure this thing out.
Now, that being said How do I re size photos?? I just recently figure it out on my old machine.
angry.gif

Latest posts

Back