• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Why a 3/4 gas tank

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Hill

Hi All

I am Restoring a 147 cub cadet. Today I was cleaning out the fuel tank and noticed about 1/3 is blocked off . Just an empty cavity.
Can any one explain this? I’m just curious. Thank you.

Attachments

• B6C8D962-1AE7-464A-91F8-B2F7BCCFC281.jpeg
    B6C8D962-1AE7-464A-91F8-B2F7BCCFC281.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 71
  • E538309C-A4F5-4B12-B63C-E08809DBE6B7.jpeg
    E538309C-A4F5-4B12-B63C-E08809DBE6B7.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 60
  • E65981BE-6153-40E0-ADF0-2E324050BA70.jpeg
    E65981BE-6153-40E0-ADF0-2E324050BA70.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 04857EE3-B16E-4EFA-9FC8-DCDC7B6DB455.jpeg
    04857EE3-B16E-4EFA-9FC8-DCDC7B6DB455.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 73
I do believe its a baffle, its not empty space. Fuel can still flow into the space behind it. Kohler put them in the tanks in order to lessen the sloshing of fuel as you drive. Large tanker trucks use baffles on a much larger scale for the same reason.

Hi All

I am Restoring a 147 cub cadet. Today I was cleaning out the fuel tank and noticed about 1/3 is blocked off . Just an empty cavity.
Can any one explain this? I’m just curious. Thank you.
If you'll look inside you'll see exactly what the deal is. (y)

Thank you for the reply’s. I looked inside and couldn’t see a space for fuel to get to that side but that dont mean It’s not there. A baffle to stop the fuel from sloshing around makes sense.

Take a blow torch and unsolder the seams in the tank and you will find the tank is made of three identical deep drawn steel stampings, saves tooling money, then secondary operations like punching the gas cap hole and forming threads are done, and the slits in the end piece are punched so gas can flow into that extra end soldered onto the tank, and the outlet for the fuel line is punched and a reinforcement plate spot-welded on. I'm pretty sure IH never made gas tanks for Cub Cadets, in fact, Kohler probably bought them and mounted the bracket or saddle and the tank prior to painting, crating, and shipping.
I was soldering/brazing a small crack in the bottom of a tank off a 14 hp Kohler about 20 years ago, I forget why but I had the tank slightly pressurized and eventually I got enough heat into the tank it unsoldered a seam and blew apart, one piece missing my midsection by a small fraction of an inch and then flying 24 ft across my shop.
I won't buy a used tank, you can't see into that section, it could be severely rusted. And new tanks are crazy expensive, think my new plastic 1-1/2 gal tank about 18-19 yrs ago was $40 but the filler neck and cap would have stuck up over the hood about an inch, maybe a bit more. I was able to reduce the height of the filler neck and get a cap with a flat top. I have made 3-4 gas tanks. The one I made for the 72 held a bit over 2 gallons, and had a flush mount fuel cell style fuel filler. I'd like to make a bigger tank for the 70 too using parts off the tank I made for the 72.

That's why you see some Cubs with holes cut in the hood!
A few of the machines I have bought in the past were butchered like that.
There always exceptions like the ones with the safety lids that required the modified hood extension.

Attachments

• DSCN7960.JPG
    DSCN7960.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN7961.JPG
    DSCN7961.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN7962.JPG
    DSCN7962.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 101
Well at least the one at right has a reflector on it to bring your attention to the protrusion.

big truck tankers have the baffles yes for sloshing. but there more for stopping...... ever try and stop 10,000 gallons of fuel oil without baffles... it will push you another 50 to 100feet if not more depending on speed.
some have side baffles also. but not many do . even smaller 5000 gallon 6 wheel or 10 wheel trucks have baffles. same reason.

iam very glad they are there... few stop signs i been pushed thru..

KRAIG - Thanks for posting those pictures. I'm glad you have them. The camera I took those with couldn't make a paper photograph.

KEN BLACK - My Dad drove semi-tanker fuel transport for 20 years after retiring from farming. Lots of their fuel trailers had multiple small tank compartments. The company he drove for was part of a large ag co-op, he also hauled anhydrous Ammonia fertlizer when in season, the most exciting was 28% nitrogen solution fertilizer, weighed 11# per gallon, because of the weight, trailers only loaded about 3/4ths full, no baffles, NOBODY was in a hurry with those loads.

KRAIG - Thanks for posting those pictures. I'm glad you have them. The camera I took those with couldn't make a paper photograph.

KEN BLACK - My Dad drove semi-tanker fuel transport for 20 years after retiring from farming. Lots of their fuel trailers had multiple small tank compartments. The company he drove for was part of a large ag co-op, he also hauled anhydrous Ammonia fertlizer when in season, the most exciting was 28% nitrogen solution fertilizer, weighed 11# per gallon, because of the weight, trailers only loaded about 3/4ths full, no baffles, NOBODY was in a hurry with those loads.
very true. some tanks are conpartmented. lot of gas tanks are that way for the 3 grades of fuel.
funny story .. my buddys X thought the trucks pumped gas out of ground at the stations hahahhaha she wasnt blonde lol

very true. some tanks are conpartmented. lot of gas tanks are that way for the 3 grades of fuel.
funny story .. my buddys X thought the trucks pumped gas out of ground at the stations hahahhaha she wasnt blonde lol
Blonde at the roots, maybe.

KEN - In the case of Kohler gas tanks, the gas is free to circulate from one side to another. Gas is free to pass from any section to any other section. I think the new plastic tanks are all one piece, blow molded plastic and no internal baffels or partitions. I really haven't taken the time to peek into my new tank on the 72. It's REALLY dark inside those tanks.
The thing that KILLED production of steel gas tanks was the TERNE COATING the manufacturers had to use to protect the inside from corrosion. Terne coating is 10-20% tin and the balance is lead. I've heard of TERRIBLE things happening with companies trying to cheat on quality, and galvanize, zinc plate the inside of tanks, and especially on diesels, if and when even a small amount of the zinc goes through the injectors they will be ruined.
I've never really had a problem with corrosion inside any of my home-made mild steel gas tanks. I normally run a shut-off valve and a Mr. Gasket clear pyrex sleeve in-line gas filter on all my Kohler powered equipment. They use a molded nylon filter with openings so small even water can't get through. No chance of any kind of dirt getting past them. And you can clean them and reuse them. Summit Racing, $14.95 each

KEN - In the case of Kohler gas tanks, the gas is free to circulate from one side to another. Gas is free to pass from any section to any other section. I think the new plastic tanks are all one piece, blow molded plastic and no internal baffels or partitions. I really haven't taken the time to peek into my new tank on the 72. It's REALLY dark inside those tanks.
The thing that KILLED production of steel gas tanks was the TERNE COATING the manufacturers had to use to protect the inside from corrosion. Terne coating is 10-20% tin and the balance is lead. I've heard of TERRIBLE things happening with companies trying to cheat on quality, and galvanize, zinc plate the inside of tanks, and especially on diesels, if and when even a small amount of the zinc goes through the injectors they will be ruined.
I've never really had a problem with corrosion inside any of my home-made mild steel gas tanks. I normally run a shut-off valve and a Mr. Gasket clear pyrex sleeve in-line gas filter on all my Kohler powered equipment. They use a molded nylon filter with openings so small even water can't get through. No chance of any kind of dirt getting past them. And you can clean them and reuse them. Summit Racing, $14.95 each

i know what baffels do and such. but thanks for info ..

Back