• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Who makes the Best Push mower (Commercial)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7FF2EDE9-154F-47F0-9B55-04B27DBF4036.png

Never owned a Honda. Did not like the Durability of th Husqvarna. But then if you want a good push mower. Be ready to spend $700- up

My old commercial push mower is a Honda HR214. Shaft-driven RWD, 2-speed transmission, manually engageable/disengageable blade, and a bagger. All mounted on an aluminum deck and powered by a 5hp Honda engine.

Let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE the thing. It runs quiet, cuts clean, and the RWD with 2 speeds is nice for transitioning between taller and shorter spots of grass. Plus, it's shaft-driven off the engine so there's not a single belt to worry about. I also like the ability to disengage the blade when I don't need it, say, when I'm going across the driveway or going to dump the grass bag.

Oh, best part is, I got it free. There was nothing wrong with it, guy who owned it had bought it new and serviced it regularly so it remained in good shape, he just got too old to keep using such a heavy mower. Bought a new electric one and pushed this one out to the curb, but lucky me got my hands on it before anyone else could.

That said, it is an older machine. I have very little experience with new ones, because I like the old ones better. Just my personal preference.

I use this Sensation 21", commercial mower with bag. I have a few of them.

Attachments

• DSC00328.JPG
    DSC00328.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00329.JPG
    DSC00329.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC00327.JPG
    DSC00327.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 252
Well I got a shock today....TSC has an electric rider Cub......$3300.,est. run time of 1 1/2 hrs continous. 42' deck...4 hrs to recharge.....Hell, in other 5 yrs we can throw away our wrenches....As soon as all auto and mowers and chainsaws are battery we will upgrade our power plants with wind power....

Well I got a shock today....TSC has an electric rider Cub......$3300.,est. run time of 1 1/2 hrs continous. 42' deck...4 hrs to recharge.....Hell, in other 5 yrs we can throw away our wrenches....As soon as all auto and mowers and chainsaws are battery we will upgrade our power plants with wind power....

I've seen those before... go online and look at customer reviews, you'd be amazed by simply how unprepared MTD was to release that electric Cub. Lots of electrical issues present in the machines, and none of the service technicians at the dealers know how to fix it. They were never trained to!

On top of that, it seems that in the electronic mower deck spindles, a very low-quality alloy metal was used for the shafts. Hit one rock with the thing and it snaps right in half. Only way to fix is to replace the whole electric spindle, which is $200 for a whole new assembly that you'll also hit a rock with and break about a week or 2 later.

Anyways... back to the topic of push mowers. I love my old aluminum decks. Currently I've got a total of 4, and I found pictures.....

Honda HR214 (described above):
IMG_20200612_151052.jpg

Toro 20622 "Pow-R-Drive":
IMG_20200612_163705.jpg

Jacobsen Twin-Blade mulcher:
IMG_20200612_151012.jpg

And a Hahn Eclipse:
IMG_20200612_152603.jpg

Plus, I've also got this oddball one, a "Pennsylvania Deluxe" engine driven Reel mower:
IMG_20200612_164914.jpg

They all run except the reel mower. Having some carb issues that I haven't had the time to look into. I mainly use the Honda and the Jacobsen. The Jacobsen is powered by a 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton, and despite the oil it burns, always starts and runs very well.

Jp,that Penn might be a Reo engine.Too many shadows to tell for sure.If it is they are quite collectible.They were used a lot on reels but lost out when the rotory came along... made in Mi.

Unfortunately no, it's a Briggs and Stratton model 6S. A pretty common engine unfortunately. Still a cool piece of equipment nonetheless. A Reo engine is something I someday hope to add to my collection though!

The Toro, meanwhile, has a rare Suzuki 5hp engine. Mine is 4 stroke, but they did make 2 stroke versions also. I can't touch the carburetor on it because parts would be impossible to find. Luckily it has been stored without fuel so no issues with it.

My old commercial push mower is a Honda HR214. Shaft-driven RWD, 2-speed transmission, manually engageable/disengageable blade, and a bagger. All mounted on an aluminum deck and powered by a 5hp Honda engine.

Let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE the thing. It runs quiet, cuts clean, and the RWD with 2 speeds is nice for transitioning between taller and shorter spots of grass. Plus, it's shaft-driven off the engine so there's not a single belt to worry about. I also like the ability to disengage the blade when I don't need it, say, when I'm going across the driveway or going to dump the grass bag.

Oh, best part is, I got it free. There was nothing wrong with it, guy who owned it had bought it new and serviced it regularly so it remained in good shape, he just got too old to keep using such a heavy mower. Bought a new electric one and pushed this one out to the curb, but lucky me got my hands on it before anyone else could.

That said, it is an older machine. I have very little experience with new ones, because I like the old ones better. Just my personal preference.
Those are nice mowers. Except when the drive cable breaks. There is a lot of taking apart to do to get it replaced. I did two cable replacements on friends hr214's. So labor intense that the dealer wanted BIG bucks

Best pushmower... Depends on what you consider best, light weight? Tire longevity? Longevity of body?
Not sure they still make them but Bunton commercial lawn mowers were bulletproof. Simple in construction. You needed a crane to pick them up to put in a truck as the 21 inch push mower had a 1/4" steel deck and pistol grip handlebars. As a youngster working for a lawn maintenance guy, I hated using these on slopes. But they never broke.

I bought this last year to do steep banks down near the road. I love it! All wheel drive works great. I wish I had this when I was a kid. :errrr:
IMG_4059.JPG

Back