• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Wheel weights

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
Just about any wheel weight for a 12” wheel should work. With the IH ones, you get the cool factor of OE stuff, and you can fit one to the inside of each wheel, and one to the outside, and you’re also at 50#/side, but for almost twice the price of those plastic ones.

There are other options, such as building a weight box, and filling it with virtually anything heavy, some have made wheel weights of concrete in buckets, I was lucky enough to find some 20# barbell weights that are a great fit, and stacked three per side. A certain greene tractor brand offers a variety of weights. I think Ditch Witch offers 12” wheel weights.

Don’t overlook the possibility of fluid-filling the tires, and/or tire chains with or without the weights for better traction as well.

With the original 26lb IH cast weights you can stack as many as you want on the outside. Within reason of course... This might be too many. :drool2:

:roflol:

P1010038.JPG

P1010039.JPG

P1010040.JPG

Imagine trying to mow close to trees with that rig...

Dave T and Jim K - you can only put the IH weights on the inside of the wheel if your Cub Cadet has internal wet brakes. You cannot do it if you have the disc brakes. The model 1200 was built for several years, roughly 1974-80 and IH built some of them with internal wet brakes and some with disc brakes - so ya gotta look-see what you got.

Nice thing about the cast iron IH weights is you don't have to worry about any plastic around the outside cracking and falling off and looking terrible. Some of those plastic jobbies just have sand inside too. I'd stick with cast iron.

Ooh, Kraig should'a mention that Cub with all those weights has some REAL EXPENSIVE tail lights :roflol:

Last edited:
And for those that do not know, that Cub belongs to Tim Delooza. Take a close look at it and you'll notice all sorts of interesting things about it beyond the wheel weights.

Am I correct in thinking that the front wheel weights from a IH-Cub are the same or usable as the rear wheel weights for the cub cadet 82, 100 series?

Am I correct in thinking that the front wheel weights from a IH-Cub are the same or usable as the rear wheel weights for the cub cadet 82, 100 series?

Correct, the IH cast wheel weights that are used on the rear wheels of a Cub Cadet were first designed to be used on the Farmall Cub front wheels.

And for those that do not know, that Cub belongs to Tim Delooza. Take a close look at it and you'll notice all sorts of interesting things about it beyond the wheel weights.

Kraig - yup, no telling what model Cub Cadet ole Tim D has there. He's really mixed things up.

Weight on the chassis would bear down on the axle bearings/bushings more so than the wheel weights would. However, unless you go way overboard, like Tim did with his photo opp wheel weight test, you are not likely to do any damage. I have a 125 that a PO added three slabs of steel mounted hanging off the back as well as a full size battery mounted in the back. I've been using it for over 25 years and I have no idea how many years it had the slabs before I got it and so far it's fine. Well, fine other than the weight was bending the fenders down so I added some reinforcing support mounted to the axle tubes with a cross piece to transfer some of the load to the draw bar. I also added the extended draw bar.

Cubweight1.jpg

Here you can see the lower supports that I added. Originally it was all just suspended from the fenders.

Cubweight2.jpg

Cubweight3.jpg

150lbs should not be anywhere near too much. I believe that a rear tiller weighs over 200lbs (based on a listed shipping weight of 225Lbs).

One other thing to remember, not all operators are created equal. I can assure you that 400ish lbs on the rear axle, plus a tiller hasn’t done any damage in a few decades…. Me in the seat, is more weight than some people add…..

Latest posts

Back