• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What year is my CC?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's other companies that make mower mulching blades like Gator Blades, a company in my town makes some, part of their process is how they harden the cutting edges, the plasma process was developed by a University of Wisconsin Engineering professor. They are a certified supplier to Case/IH for parts for the rotor on Axial Flow combines.
I have no idea what suffix Wyatt's 44" deck was but he had gators on it, one weekend when I stored his tractors he came out and helped me mow and vacuum my yard. When he'd mow thru a place where the leaves were heavy he'd stir up a huge cloud of dust from all the leaves. Him mowing or pulverized those leaves cut down the volume I was vacuuming up by a solid 50%.

Ok guys..I just talked to my knowledgeable repair guy. He said my mower deck (the Cub Cadet 44A is a 'short deck,' and what the Gator bades are for, are more for cutting up dried leaves than for mulching grass. He said there are a TON of contributing/mitigating factors on my problem. (clumping of the grass from the mower). He said the fact that my deck is short, there's not alot of air circulation and that regardless of the blade type, I still won't get rid of the clumping problem. He also mentioned that the less I try to cut. (like 1-2 " versus 2-4"), the less problem I'll have. (that's a 'well duh' thing) but also the type of grass that I'm cutting also is a factor. When I cut it, even if it's a short cut, there is 'white' under the top layer, indicating that I have a grass that can only have a small amount cut off / mowing. The strength of my old 1974, 1250 Cub, is why I'm keeping it, but I wish there was a way to have a more decent cut than the clumps. He said a tow behind rake or bagging it is the only alternative..NOT blades.

Ok guys..I just talked to my knowledgeable repair guy. He said my mower deck (the Cub Cadet 44A is a 'short deck,' and what the Gator bades are for, are more for cutting up dried leaves than for mulching grass. He said there are a TON of contributing/mitigating factors on my problem. (clumping of the grass from the mower). He said the fact that my deck is short, there's not alot of air circulation and that regardless of the blade type, I still won't get rid of the clumping problem. He also mentioned that the less I try to cut. (like 1-2 " versus 2-4"), the less problem I'll have. (that's a 'well duh' thing) but also the type of grass that I'm cutting also is a factor. When I cut it, even if it's a short cut, there is 'white' under the top layer, indicating that I have a grass that can only have a small amount cut off / mowing. The strength of my old 1974, 1250 Cub, is why I'm keeping it, but I wish there was a way to have a more decent cut than the clumps. He said a tow behind rake or bagging it is the only alternative..NOT blades.
lawn sweep in the proper color
5F44AC76-C399-4E5B-B159-98E54B4F1C9A.jpeg

The reason I want to keep using this old 1974 Model 1250 is because it's built like a tank! The axle is about two to three times the size of the newer tractors. I just wish I didn't have to deal with the lack of mulching capability. It has the Kohler engine which I like too. I was thinking of having the whole thing gone over to restore it to look new. I wonder if there are people in my area (near Pgh, Pa) that do these types of restorations? Then I'd probably not want to use it to cut the grass tho...:-/ My 'guy' who fixes all my stuff, said NEVER sell this tractor..It'll run way past our lifetimes!

Conventional mowing, using the conventional side-discharge, is essentially the same as mulching

if done frequently enough to avoid making wind-rows/clumps of hay.

The return of moisture & nutrients to the soil is of negligible difference. And in my opinion, side-discharging generally distributes the clippings better than most mulchers I’ve encountered anyway.
(which still make clumps with tall grass and/or excessive ground speed!)

If waiting too long between mowings is the real issue, and making hay the result, then no mulching option will make a meaningful difference in the volume nor coarse/fine consistency of the clippings…

In which case, you could always fence that ground and turn loose a few goats. They’d even fertilize it for ya!

And mulching generally necessitates increased frequency of cuts, anyway.

Lawn-Daze of summer, turf-eriffic!!!

-CӞ

The reason I want to keep using this old 1974 Model 1250 is because it's built like a tank! The axle is about two to three times the size of the newer tractors. I just wish I didn't have to deal with the lack of mulching capability. It has the Kohler engine which I like too. I was thinking of having the whole thing gone over to restore it to look new. I wonder if there are people in my area (near Pgh, Pa) that do these types of restorations? Then I'd probably not want to use it to cut the grass tho...:-/ My 'guy' who fixes all my stuff, said NEVER sell this tractor..It'll run way past our lifetimes!
Where about’s do you live near pittsburgh, I’m in Bethel Park!

Back