• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What Should I Do?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Leach

IHCC Supporter
Help! What should I do?
Which one should I keep?
In an earlier post I detailed my first Cub Cadet (a well used 169 with mower, cultivator and snow blower) as well as my Number Two which is a 149 that has a lot of good parts that I planned to move to the 169 (my keeper) and then refurbish the 149 and sell it.
Lo and Behold, this morning on Craigslist I found and bought a not-running 1650 and, for parts, a 1640. They were only about a half-mile away on this town of 400 souls that is in the middle of nowhere.
Amazing.
After about an hour’s tinkering the 1650 started and runs like a champ. Along with the 1640 (which isn’t complete but has parts I’ll need) I’ll have a really nice Cub Cadet.
My dilemma:
The 1650 doesn’t have rear hydraulics so won’t serve my cultivator, for example, but the 169 does have the hydraulic assisted hitch. Should I transfer the rear hitch components from the 169 to the 1650 and make the 169 my “Keeper” or just stick with the 169? I don’t intend to scrap any of these machines but can only justify keeping one. What would you do?

Attachments

• 1650.jpg
    1650.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 114
Well Henry - it would be alot easier to address your question if your posts were under a single (or even 2) threads. You seem to start a new thread each time you have a question, which is usually ok except for the type question you asked since it involves the tractors from your other threads.

One thing unclear to me is the "1640". I have no idea what that is. It's not an IH model, and I don't see it listed as a CCC model either.

Now, I really don't understand why you cannot justify keeping more and one tractor. You should ALWAYS have a spare.
So lacking the answer to why you can't and lacking all the info I'd like to have here is my preliminary answer to your question:
I'd keep the 169, and why:

The 1650 is a Quiet Line series tractor and a great tractor, and at least a year newer than the 169, but it also has the infamous Iso Mounts and a tin muffler box, electric PTO, that when I compare to older style engine mounting, muffler and PTO on a 169, I prefer the 169 version (well the 169 muffler is unique to the 169 and replacement hard to find but at least it's not inside a box).
Operationally, both tractors are very similar except the 169 hydro control is by your left hand and the 1650 hydro control by your right hand. (My very first Cub Cadet was a 1450 with the right hand control and I actually still prefer that, but not enough to over-ride my selection of the 169 = I always wondered about converting the 169 control to right hand. Just inverting the lever installation wouldn't quite do it).
As for the 149, well it's a sweet tractor too, but given a choice between the 149 and 169, it's gotta be the 169.
And finally one other thing may come into play. The 169 may have better long term value potential since it's a single year and the 2nd lowest production unit made by IH.

Well Henry - it would be alot easier to address your question if your posts were under a single (or even 2) threads. You seem to start a new thread each time you have a question, which is usually ok except for the type question you asked since it involves the tractors from your other threads.

One thing unclear to me is the "1640". I have no idea what that is. It's not an IH model, and I don't see it listed as a CCC model either.

Now, I really don't understand why you cannot justify keeping more and one tractor. You should ALWAYS have a spare.
So lacking the answer to why you can't and lacking all the info I'd like to have here is my preliminary answer to your question:
I'd keep the 169, and why:

The 1650 is a Quiet Line series tractor and a great tractor, and at least a year newer than the 169, but it also has the infamous Iso Mounts and a tin muffler box, electric PTO, that when I compare to older style engine mounting, muffler and PTO on a 169, I prefer the 169 version (well the 169 muffler is unique to the 169 and replacement hard to find but at least it's not inside a box).
Operationally, both tractors are very similar except the 169 hydro control is by your left hand and the 1650 hydro control by your right hand. (My very first Cub Cadet was a 1450 with the right hand control and I actually still prefer that, but not enough to over-ride my selection of the 169 = I always wondered about converting the 169 control to right hand. Just inverting the lever installation wouldn't quite do it).
As for the 149, well it's a sweet tractor too, but given a choice between the 149 and 169, it's gotta be the 169.
And finally one other thing may come into play. The 169 may have better long term value potential since it's a single year and the 2nd lowest production unit made by IH.
Thanks for your very clear and helpful reply. I'm guilty of befuddlement and that "1640" I mentioned is actually a 1450! And your preference for the 169 is aligned with what I hoped to be the choice as the "Keeper". I'm too ignorant about all things Cub Cadet to make my choice without seeking advice such as you've given me. Thanks again. Henry

Henry - don't make your decision JUST on my advice - which I did note as just preliminary info.

So, the 1640 is really a 1450. You're really making it hard. You have a 169, 149, 1450 and 1650. I think there are probably many members on here that are drooling over your dilemma.

My honest and final answer is that you keep all 4 tractors. You need the 149 as a spare to the 169, and you need the 1450 as a spare to the 1650.

(One final question tho - do you have another family member involved in your decision? I seem to recall seeing someone in one of your pics).

HH makes good sense (as always). As I see it, you really have one decision: do you prefer the quiet line series (keep the 1650 with 1450 as a reserve), or the open-side wide frame series (keep the 169 with the 149 as a reserve). You will love using, and will curse working on certain areas of whichever one you choose. Just pick one, and never look back. They’re all IH-made, so you can’t go wrong. The one possibility that could tip the scales is if by chance, any of the tractors might have DUAL hydraulics.

Henry I am not sure where you're located, but I am actively looking for a good condition Quiet Line Tractor with a 50A Mower Deck. So when you make your decision on what to keep, please know there are some fine folks looking for what you have :) Many thanks! Steve in North Carolina.

Back