• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What model is this?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Wilson

Hi there, first post! Does anyone know what model of cub this is? Thanks!

Attachments

• F7361D06-CC68-4E0D-94B6-D2C562FD3D07.jpeg
    F7361D06-CC68-4E0D-94B6-D2C562FD3D07.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome Dustin!
I would say a 108. Depends on what size engine is in it (if it is the original engine) You should find the serial number of the tractor on the rear of the tranny. This will help to determine what year it is.

108 would be a gear drive and I see no gear shift lever.
I do see what appears to be a QL hydro shift lever though.
At any rate the unit looks like a cobble job to me from that lousy picture.
Amazing what some folks think in the way of pictures what will sell a piece of equipment.

Good eye David. Been a long day for me. Missed looking for the stick. Just glanced at the motor. Fuzzy pic for sure.

If the original motor is still in it, and it is a 8 hp, it could be a model 86. The seller is right about the "70 series". If it is a model 86 it was made from 1971 to 1974.

It's worth the sum of it's parts. While the paint and other details are absolutely atrocious, there might be some value in that thing for parts to fix a more worthy candidate. I would go no more than a couple of hundred only IF it ran and drove beautifully.

Well Dustin - I see the responses above and believe most of them are bias because of the paint scheme (which I agree is terrible). However, here's my feelings after I enlarged and studied your pic.

I can see a hydro lever on the dash so this tractor is definitely has a hydrostatic drive line (it's not manual shift). Next I see what appears to be a later style steering wheel for the Quiet Line series tractor, and I also see a manual lift lever on the side of the tractor. Also, looking at the engine I believe I see a Kohler electric starter with the coil mounted horizontally above it. Adding these things up I'm guessing this tractor is a Model 1250 and would have a Kohler K301AQS (12hp) engine (if it's original). This tractor is part of the Quiet Line series built between 1975-80. So if the current owner is telling you it's a "70's" tractor that is probably a good guess.

So, with this in mind what else do I see looking at the pic that would cause me to think of value? I see Ag tires on the rear which means the rear tires have been replaced with what are probably a more expensive tire. Can't tell for certain without actually seeing the tires. The front tires look like they may have been replaced as well. Next I see a mowing deck that is probably a 44" or 50" deck which was standard for this series. It's been painted black (instead of the original white) so I have no idea of condition. Next I notice the stack exhaust pipe. In my view this is a "no, no" for a Quiet Line series engine. Originally there were side panels enclosing the engine on a Model 1250, and it would have a muffler box shielding the muffler from the engine, and the exhaust pipe would go out the front grill. With the original stuff missing and that exhaust stack I'm not sure the air flow cooling from the flywheel will flow sufficient to cool the engine correctly. All of this also makes me wonder about the engine "ISO-mounts". This was the first series of IH tractors that used a cradle and rubber cushioned mounts. They do wear out and need replacing I would say on average of 15-20 years. If tractor still has the original mounts they are probably over due for replacement. And finally I see the seat has been replaced on this tractor.

Now, is this tractor worth $700??? With the things in mind that I mentioned above I think $700 is probably a stretch. First off I don't live in Maryland where you appear to be located and I'm guessing the tractor is. From what I've seen Cub Cadets in Maryland do tend to command a little higher price than those located in PA or even VA, but somewhat close to prices in CT where I lived for 14 years. I would probably value a decent Model 1250 at $500 if it runs and drives good and mows good, and has been maintained as original. This one has been painted odd colors and I don't know how it runs and drives. I don't know the condition of the mowing deck, and I don't know where the original side panels and muffler box are. Yes, it has replacement tires and a seat which together probably cost $200-300, but that doesn't necessarily make it worth more since you have to have tires and a seat on the tractor.

And, when I talk about driving good I'm also referring to the hydro control. These tractor are prone to the hydrostatic trunion and linkage wearing. Without repair the tractor will jump and/or slow down and even tend to run away on it's own. Repair is not necessarily difficult or expensive but can be time consuming to perform, but that depends on alot of factors.

So, overall what would I pay for this tractor? Probably around $300, maybe $400 at most if it did run and drive good, mowing deck appeared to be in good condition, seat was nice, steering was fairly tight (not more than 1/16 turn free play), and it came with the original side panels and the muffler box as spare parts.

Let us know what you decide.

Well Dustin - I see the responses above and believe most of them are bias because of the paint scheme (which I agree is terrible). However, here's my feelings after I enlarged and studied your pic.

You have always amazed me with the depth of your knowledge. That analysis just sealed the deal!

I can see a hydro lever on the dash so this tractor is definitely has a hydrostatic drive line (it's not manual shift). Next I see what appears to be a later style steering wheel for the Quiet Line series tractor, and I also see a manual lift lever on the side of the tractor. Also, looking at the engine I believe I see a Kohler electric starter with the coil mounted horizontally above it. Adding these things up I'm guessing this tractor is a Model 1250 and would have a Kohler K301AQS (12hp) engine (if it's original). This tractor is part of the Quiet Line series built between 1975-80. So if the current owner is telling you it's a "70's" tractor that is probably a good guess.

So, with this in mind what else do I see looking at the pic that would cause me to think of value? I see Ag tires on the rear which means the rear tires have been replaced with what are probably a more expensive tire. Can't tell for certain without actually seeing the tires. The front tires look like they may have been replaced as well. Next I see a mowing deck that is probably a 44" or 50" deck which was standard for this series. It's been painted black (instead of the original white) so I have no idea of condition. Next I notice the stack exhaust pipe. In my view this is a "no, no" for a Quiet Line series engine. Originally there were side panels enclosing the engine on a Model 1250, and it would have a muffler box shielding the muffler from the engine, and the exhaust pipe would go out the front grill. With the original stuff missing and that exhaust stack I'm not sure the air flow cooling from the flywheel will flow sufficient to cool the engine correctly. All of this also makes me wonder about the engine "ISO-mounts". This was the first series of IH tractors that used a cradle and rubber cushioned mounts. They do wear out and need replacing I would say on average of 15-20 years. If tractor still has the original mounts they are probably over due for replacement. And finally I see the seat has been replaced on this tractor.

Now, is this tractor worth $700??? With the things in mind that I mentioned above I think $700 is probably a stretch. First off I don't live in Maryland where you appear to be located and I'm guessing the tractor is. From what I've seen Cub Cadets in Maryland do tend to command a little higher price than those located in PA or even VA, but somewhat close to prices in CT where I lived for 14 years. I would probably value a decent Model 1250 at $500 if it runs and drives good and mows good, and has been maintained as original. This one has been painted odd colors and I don't know how it runs and drives. I don't know the condition of the mowing deck, and I don't know where the original side panels and muffler box are. Yes, it has replacement tires and a seat which together probably cost $200-300, but that doesn't necessarily make it worth more since you have to have tires and a seat on the tractor.

And, when I talk about driving good I'm also referring to the hydro control. These tractor are prone to the hydrostatic trunion and linkage wearing. Without repair the tractor will jump and/or slow down and even tend to run away on it's own. Repair is not necessarily difficult or expensive but can be time consuming to perform, but that depends on alot of factors.

So, overall what would I pay for this tractor? Probably around $300, maybe $400 at most if it did run and drive good, mowing deck appeared to be in good condition, seat was nice, steering was fairly tight (not more than 1/16 turn free play), and it came with the original side panels and the muffler box as spare parts.

Let us know what you decide.

Well, I bought it even though it is ugly. Here is the serial number. Can someone tell me what it is!

Attachments

• B741DC53-53E0-4200-94F7-E90A2BE2BA36.jpeg
    B741DC53-53E0-4200-94F7-E90A2BE2BA36.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
The brush strokes and runs are a nice touch.

The ID number 2050630U denotes it as a model 1250 and the sequence number of 610941 narrow down it's production to May, 1977

Dustin,
Congratulations, I hope it is in decent shape, although the paint scheme is something to behold. I hope they didn't paint over a lot of rust.
Now that it is yours, could you post some decent pics of it?
The fuzzy pic, "odd" paint job, and missing body parts, makes it look weird, compared to the yellow/white and red ones we are used to seeing around here. ;)
Any time someone decides to rescue one of these tractors, no matter how it looks, I say fantastic. Once they are gone, there will be no more.

P.S. From my perspective, those red rims are the worst of any of it. UGHHH! Makes me think of the song "I'm just an old chunk of coal, but i'm gonna be a diamond some day" :errrr:

Last edited:
You all are great! Thanks! It runs and drives well! I paid $380 with no battery, so I picked one up and installed it on my way home. The mower doesn’t work, the seller said it needs a pto clutch? No idea how much that part is. Updated pic attached!

Attachments

• 8ADD9D27-59A8-4F07-93B1-19CBB242AFCE.jpeg
    8ADD9D27-59A8-4F07-93B1-19CBB242AFCE.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
Back