• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What model is this?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has come a long way in the past 6 weeks. Thanks all for your wisdom.

Attachments

• 1A83A43C-4758-4EF3-AF56-1DE1BF8E31AC.jpeg
    1A83A43C-4758-4EF3-AF56-1DE1BF8E31AC.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A322481C-F8BF-47EA-A715-7A25322EE896.jpeg
    A322481C-F8BF-47EA-A715-7A25322EE896.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
Looks to be a quiet line judging by the location of the ser# tag on the frame.
The # prefix will tell the story, post it on here.
W/manual lift, most likely it's a 1250 w/the side panels removed for some reason.

David,
This tractor has been reformed and diagnosed. Back up a page or two and read some. :bluethumbsup: It could be a 1250, but the lower grille housing is off a 1x8/1x9 series.

Last edited:
refer to post 16 and 17 in this thread for an answer to what this machine started life as and when

Still baffled why someone would put a 1x8/1x9 series lower grille casing on a 1250. :scratchhead:
Looking better all the time! :bluethumbsup:

1811Cub,
Maybe the PO hit something hard and broke the 1250 grille casing. Just seems weird all the rest of the body appears to be original.
Dustin,
I wouldn't, unless you can find some side covers and all the other missing stuff that goes around the engine. Got any good pics of the engine?
If the engine is a wide frame 12hp instead of a QL 12hp, the side panels or lower grille casing will not be of any benefit.
My opinion: It's a "worker" and I would leave it as it is. All that QL stuff gets in the way when you have to work on it. :bluethumbsup:

1811Cub,
Maybe the PO hit something hard and broke the 1250 grille casing. Just seems weird all the rest of the body appears to be original.
Dustin,
I wouldn't, unless you can find some side covers and all the other missing stuff that goes around the engine. Got any good pics of the engine?
If the engine is a wide frame 12hp instead of a QL 12hp, the side panels or lower grille casing will not be of any benefit.
My opinion: It's a "worker" and I would leave it as it is. All that QL stuff gets in the way when you have to work on it. :bluethumbsup:
I agree with this.

Still baffled why someone would put a 1x8/1x9 series lower grille casing on a 1250. :scratchhead:
Looking better all the time! :bluethumbsup:
Marty, Dustin, 1811Cub, etc al: the Quiet Line series was produced by IH for several years, roughly 5-6years. IH made several changes and updates to the tractors during this production cycle. This included several things like a thicker steering wheel with the small triangular center cap and a silver colored IH emblem. Another was the change to 1" front spindles. Another was a change to aluminum axle carriers attached to the rearend, and another was changing the lower grill housing to aluminum instead of cast iron. I believe there is info somewhere in the archives that identifies the serial number break where these changes occur. The changes were not all at once.
I happen to have a 1200 late production that had the aluminum carriers and lower grill housing and without the deck mounted I could easily pop wheelies (the first time was not expected and quite scary). I believe the front end is at least 20-30 pounds lighter with the aluminum.
I think it's possible the PO of Dustin's tractor may have hit something and cracked the original housing, or maybe he realized it made the front end light weight and just changed to the 1x8/9 series knowing it was cast iron and fit the tractor frame but then realized the side panels didn't fit.

Last edited:
I prefer the bottom housing on it now, but if you wanted to add the side shields there would be some minor mods needed. But I'd imagine it'd look pretty sweet
Hey PACub100 - if Dustin wanted to add the side shields and use the 1x8/9 lower grill housing (that he currently has) then he really would need to change the muffler and air cleaner back to the Kohler AQS engine style. Otherwise if he attempted to use it as it's currently outfitted with the side panels I think the air flow for cooling the engine would be restricted.
(Then again, maybe he wants a "hot 1250" :flame:)

Hey PACub100 - if Dustin wanted to add the side shields and use the 1x8/9 lower grill housing (that he currently has) then he really would need to change the muffler and air cleaner back to the Kohler AQS engine style. Otherwise if he attempted to use it as it's currently outfitted with the side panels I think the air flow for cooling the engine would be restricted.
(Then again, maybe he wants a "hot 1250" :flame:)
True dat!

Thanks Harry, that explains how the lower grille casing could easily get broken. I did not know they went to aluminum housings. The 1000 I worked on has a cast iron housing.
Along with the muffler and air cleaner, the engine shroud would need to be a AQS style. I am assuming it has the QL gas tank also. If not, the 1x8/9 series tank is different along with the mounting brackets. May possibly be another issue/problem if Dustin decides to go the QL route. Don't forget the heat shield between the engine and gas tank too. Another issue to consider. I am sure there are more not mentioned.

Thanks Harry, that explains how the lower grille casing could easily get broken. I did not know they went to aluminum housings. The 1000 I worked on has a cast iron housing.
Along with the muffler and air cleaner, the engine shroud would need to be a AQS style. I am assuming it has the QL gas tank also. If not, the 1x8/9 series tank is different along with the mounting brackets. May possibly be another issue/problem if Dustin decides to go the QL route. Don't forget the heat shield between the engine and gas tank too. Another issue to consider. I am sure there are more not mentioned.
Marty - geez, and all along I thought that shield was a fire wall but I see in the parts lookup it's listed under the Noise Isolation assembly as the "Heat Deflector Assy". Who would'a thunk that since it's a Quiet Line Tractor :drool2:

Back