• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What do I got, And how good is it ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me what model Cat0 "3" point hitch will fit my 1712? Would a model 389? Thanks

Matthew:

Here ya go.....

66068.jpg

Howdy Everyone. Ryan McShane put me onto a Craiglist ad for a 582 Cub Cadet with a bad starter. So I texted the party and found out that he also had a 1440 vertical shaft Cub Cadet also for sale. It has pto clutch problems... Cut to the chase... tomorrow night after work I am picking up both of them.

Right now the 582 is CCC Built and if I recall has the cast iron transmission and 848 actual hours. The young man said it was his Grandfather's. The starter gear is shot and will need tubes all around. I'm planning on keeping it. How reliable and good are the Briggs engines? Is it worth keeping? The deck is pretty much rusted beyond repair only I have a couple of other decks.

The 1440 will be running and doesn't appear too bad only I won't be keeping it. Just not into vertical shaft belt drives. It has the pto cluthc issues.

Anyone able to give me information on how good the 582 is with the Briggs? Would it make a good plow tractor? It has Craftsman weights which is a bonus.

Pictures this weekend... Right now I need to calm down and get to bed. TIA for all information about these two new Cub Cadets.

One final... should I consider downsizing from the current eight Cub Cadets or just add one more? Fancy already is claiming the 582.

I'm pretty sure the 1440 is a horizontal shaft 'cyclops' style tractor, so sounds like you don't have the right model number for that one.

The 582 is a good tractor. I personally am not a huge fan of the Briggs engine (has good power and parts are cheap compared to Kohler/Onan/etc, but REALLY dumb carb and starter) but the rest of the tractor is like any gear drive CC. If the price is right you can't go wrong.

Yes, that is correct, the 1440 is a nice model GT with a Vanguard horizontal shaft OHV engine. They were a great garden tractor for the money! I think that the references used were for a 1430 lawn tractor with the vertical shaft. Smaller real tires of course, a typical belt drive lawn tractor.

Matt and Jim. I thank both of you. Both were for $100.00.total. I originally went to view the 582 and noticed that he had the 1440. He said that it was for sale also. Like Matt, I'm not a huge Briggs fan however all it needs is a new starter since the plastic/nylon gear is worn and a carburetor kit. The MTD rear tires/rims will be removed and sold and tubes will be put on the front tires. Just like the looks of the red ones. For now I've a set of used Ag tires for the rear. I think that eventually it will have to have a Brinly hitch installed.

I've a young neighbor that will help bring them home this afternoon. I may see if he's interested in the 1440. Too nice to part out.

You won't need a whole new starter, just the bendix assembly.

Don't even think about rebuilding the carb without the B&S manual if you haven't done one before. It's very different than a Kohler carb and quite a bit more complicated, particularly the governor linkage and springs.

Matt is correct again with his assessment of the Briggs carb. If it idles rough, that was the nature of those carburetors to a degree. If you watch the carb at idle with air cleaner removed,you'll see the gas dribbling into the airflow trying to mix.It never quite does, as the raw gas then "puddles" in the intake manifold.

That is just the nature of the beast, at higher rpms the issue becomes less and less a factor. So maybe a rebuild is not needed??

Update.... I apologize for the delay. Busy weekend. It's a 1415 LAWN Cub Cadet with an electrical problem in the pto clutch. Angel and I decided to pay it forward and gave the 582 to our young neighbor and his family, Ian Woodhouse. We also included Cub Cadet rims since the rear tires leak air and are on MTD rims. On the CC rims are a used but good set of Ag tires with new tubes and we've included a new set of front tubes for the front tires.

I take pictures and when I try to find them on this laptop... they disappear. So, I've asked Kraig M. to re-size and post them. I accidentally told him to post in the Sandbox.

I'm going to get the 1415 running and may keep the little critter since it's kinda growing on me although I don't know why. (Oh agony
happy.gif

A BIG THANK YOU to Kraig M. for re-sizing and posting the pictures for me.

Thank You, Kraig.
happy.gif

As everyone can see they are a bunch of happy guys. Next pictures should show Ian making progress. I'll try and remember to take pictures of the 1415 as I work on it.

Hey all! Haven't made much progress, but I guess any progress is progress. Here is the photo with the ag tires. I got the front tires pulled off so I can get some tubes in them. My neighbor has a set of front tires that match and if they are the proper size I may try to put those on. I need to do some research on rebuilding that carb (sounds complicated, would it be similar a automotive carb?), cleaning out the tank (marlin said to use dawn soap, but I have never done it before so want to be sure to do it right) and putting the bendix on the starter. I will get some pics as I get stuff done. I will also try to get a better photo of the ag tires as Marlin did a fantastic job getting them painted up! FINALLY, I have to give Marlin a HUGE thank you for sending the 582 my way! My 127 was getting lonely in the garage.
305347.jpg

Welcome, Ian!
WELCOME.gif

I think Marlin's mentioned your name a couple times over the last several years.
happy.gif

Welcome Aboard, Ian.
groupwave.gif

Where did you find the matching tires? I have the tubes for the front should you need them. And just give a shout when you want to paint the front rims and pull the clutch. You'll have one neat little tractor. This darn humidity makes drying paint a bear.

Hope everyone had a great 4th! Haven't made much progress recently, but had a chance this weekend to play in the garage. My wife uses a Craftsman 3500 DLX for mowing and the motor blew up in it. I pulled the starter gear off of that and it appeared to match the bad gear off the 582. I pulled the 582 starter and got the 3500 gear put on it. While I had it off, bench tested and it spun. Hooked it back up and when it went to start it hits the flywheel and stops cold. Thinking the motor is seized I put it in gear and tried to push and seems to move with a great deal of effort. It has some clutch problems and looks like there is some issues in there as well. Marlin and I have been talking about Solenoid problems, ground problems and weak batteries. If the clutch is not engaging well, and it has an electric PTO, any ideas on how I can test to see if the engine is seized? I am thinking if I can tell the engine will spin, that will narrow my problems down to an electrical (starter, solenoid, ground), rather than a more severe engine problem. TIA!

Pull the side sheets and try to turn over the engine using the 3 pin clutch driver bolted to the flywheel. It should roll over by hand with the trans in "N" and PTO off. Roll it through 2 full revolutions and you will know all is well inside the motor......

Some good suggestions for you Ian. Have the clutch locked down so the safety switch is engaged.

You have some of THE BEST knowledge ever with these great people. They'll help you get it running in no time.

If it won't move at all, try removing the PTO clutch......more than one "bad engine" has been a locked up PTO clutch bearing.

BTW, push starting a Cub cadet is a bit tougher than most.....there is a 7:1 reduction between the engine an the transmission, meaning the engine spins over 7x faster than most other "push startable" things...even in direct (3rd gear). Most times you just end up dragging a tire when you let out the clutch.

Went out last night and pulled the plugs. Motor would turn about 1/4 turn. Worked it back and forth and after working it for a little it broke free and will turn. Good deal! Making a little progress here and there!

Back