• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What do I got, And how good is it ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwheeland

displayname
Matthew D. Wheeland
Hi, I'm new to this forum. But I like what I'm Reading. You all seem to know your stuff and you get wright to the point. I like that, most the forum that I get on. You got to deal with a lot of bull, an that not why I get on them. So thanks.

Here is what my problem is, the only tractors that I have own were Bolens. They work good, but can be hard to find part for in my neck of the woods. But this last week I want to a yard sale and found a cub. The guy wanted just a bit less then a grand for a 1712 with
* 42" snow blade
* Think it is a 45" two stage Blower
* 50" mower deak
* rear wheel weights
* 2 set of wheel chains ( ones a ice set)
I got the whole kit for far less then what he was asking for it. The engine & drive train seem strong. The engine has a big oil leak, smoke & a bad hammer. I think I found the hammer, the right side jug is missing some studs and it smacking the block when running. Plain on fixing that problem before I start using the tractor. The tractor was well used.

The Question is what did I get and were can I go with is tractor? I have some sleeve hitch attachments. So when I go looking for a rear hitch. What do I look for, Sleeve hitch or a three point. Is there any tractors that I can take part off and bolt wright onto my tractor? I know I'm asking a lot, but all the info on this tractor would be helpful. Wright know I only know about the tube frame bolens. But I what to learn all that I can about this tractor. I have only drove this tractor on and off my trailer and I'm starting to like it better then my G 14. This winter I will like more when I let the hydro pick up the snow blower. That will be so nice. So if anyone can help, it would be much welcomed
Thank You

Matthew:

First, welcome to the forum.

The 1712 is a newer version of the IH built 782. It should have a Kohler KT-17 Series II motor in it. I have the 782 and it is one of my favorites.

As far as hitches go, you could install either. The Sleeve Hitch would require some modification and additional support. CC offered a Cat O 3Pt for this model which would bolt right up.

Stop back as often as you need. Someone will always lend a hand.

thumbsup_old.gif

Does anyone know what tractor interchange with the 1712. For getting parts.
Thank You

Besides the 782, also 784, 1711, 1811, 1812.

Some parts in common with: 582,682, 1606, 1710, 1810.

Also has parts in common with the diesel models: 782D, 882, 1512.

The 1711 is the KT 17 II powered version. The 1811 is the M-18 powered version. 1711 has 17 hp and 1811 has 18 hp. Many parts will interchange between the M-18 and the KT 17 II Kohler engines. Be careful not to confuse KT 17 Series I engines with the KT 17 Seies II engies. THere are differences that can cause problems if joined together.

As the others have said here...most non engine parts from the 782, 782D, 882, 682, 1811 and others will interchange.

If the jug on the engine was loose, you may want to inspect very closely for worn surfaces in that area. I would suggest a total rebuild or maybe try EVIL-bay for either a KT 17 S Series II Spec No. 24302. I suspect your engine has anoil filter. You want to keep that feature which means a full oiling system.

Thank for all the info. It will help alot. I got a question for FMorski. You said that you suppect that my engine has a oil filter. I look but couldn"t see one, But i might not be look in the wright spot. Where is the oil filter.
Thank You

Open the hood and remove the right side panel. If you have one it'll probably be on the firewall on the right side with lines going into the sheetmetal on the engine or in front of the right side cylinder. If not, there'll be a block-off plate in front of the cylinder on the right.

No: That is on the 1811 model using the M-18 remote filter. The 1711 probably has it inside the muffler enclosure. Looke to the left side of the front of the engine when looking throught the grill. If it has one, it will be there, THe grill will pull down from the top. It is spring loaded. You can access the filter through this opening. It it has a remote filter, that may have been added. All of my KT 17 II's have the filter or the block off plate on the block. 2 of my 3 M-18's have the filter remotely located.

Sorry my KT 17 II don't have the oil filter. Might it be a good thing to get if I ever run across one?
I try to put a bolt back into the jug today. No go, the stud must be broken off in there. I gess the engine will be coming apart Know. I wanted to run the tractor for some time. Just to make shore that ever thing is going to work right. That the way it goes.

Matt is right about the oil filter location. I have a 1711. It's just behind the right side panel, next to the firewall.

I got the engine back into the tractor this weekend. I only put bearing, rings, and a gasket set into the engine. The engine was still within spec. It runs fine and mow great. Beats my bolens any day. The 1712 seem to be a little longer then my G 14. But the cub will still turn sharp and easier.
63498.jpg

The Cub dealer was closed on saterday and I couldn't get the mule belt for the deck. So I just what to work a found a TK (thremo king) belt that was just about the right size. It seem to work fine. Had to play with the mule belt Adjustment a little.
63499.jpg

If the tactor work fine threw the winter. I plan on paint the tins in the spring. I just cannot get over how nice the tractor handles. When the engine was out, I clean and adj the steering box. The steering is nice and tight now. Know all I got to do is wait for the grass to grow again. The why the weather has been in PA lately. It might take another two months for that. An I'm not kidding

That 1712 should also have the front hydraulic ports on it which is a nice plus. That would work well with your front blade. The front hyd ports is what makes it different from the 1711. There's a nice book available from the sponsors if you want to learn alot about these tractors and the differences.

yes that is a leaf vac on the back. The nice thing about that is I bought it at a action about a year before I had the tractor. Plain on putting on my bolens. Got this tractor an it fit right on, no problem. Got the hoses and the trailer walls too. Know all I need is a wright size trailer. My trailer is to big for the walls. But I will build walls so that will work.

OK guys. I have a 1711 with a remote oil filter behind the right side panel next to the firewall. My questions is...did all of the 1711's have an oil filter? If so, were they all remotes like mine? Just curious because every time I look on a website for an oil filter for a 1711, it does not list one. Thanks!

Randy, your 1711 was probably repowered with a mag18 engine which comes with a remote filter. I believe all the 1711's comes from the factory with the kt17 engine. Look at the id tag on your engine or look at the air filter cover and it should help you determine what engine you have. It is possible you have a kt17 series II engine and someone put a remote filter on it. Either way look under the 1811 for the filter as this model came from the factory with remote oil filter.

I got a question for you guy's out there. I was mowing the grass tonight and will I got the tractor stuck. Where I mow there is a run off drain that sits on the bottom eage of this small hill. I got to mow around it, but it lays about a foot below ground level. I drop my front wheel on it and there I sat.
bash.gif
It was enough to pick up one of the rear wheels and there I'm spinning the rear wheel. I try to drag the brake to put the torque to the other wheel. No go, just put the trans into neuteral. I saw a larger cub, think it was a 1582? It had duel brakes. Any one try to put this on a model like mine? From what I saw it looks like it could be done. Would it hurt the trans? Do the 1582 use the same trans? On a different note, anyone know where I can fined out what year my 1712 is?
Thanks Matt
taunt.gif

Back