• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Well I love her again, 1450.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Wiser

displayname
Dw89xj
Well I love my 1450 again. This thing is really a love hate relationship since the get. It's a pain to work on but works so well when I don't need to work on it. I need to move some dirt and topsoil to grade my yard up and fill in some divets and what not, so I'm going to build a clam shell for the blade for this year maybe a loader next year.
But anyways I was curious of what are these hydros really capable of? Is it worth adding a dual spool? The lift for the blade is kind of slow for the couple inches it moves but world still beat the pants off hand shoveling and toting buckets of dirt and mulch and what have you. I like the idea of adding the dual spool option but linear actuators are pretty affordable now and wires are easier to route than hard lines and hoses. I'm just not positive the Kohler charging system would keep up with heavy use opening and closing the clam bucket, it would get a couple minutes in between strokes but I'm not sure that's enough to build the charge back up or not?
I sure love this tractor when it makes it easy for me to love. But man does she like to fight when it's time to fix something, I swear when this tractor was designed someone was angry at home and decided to take it out on someone else lol, I get cut Everytime I reach in behind the dash or somewhere I have to work blind.
**Edit or p.s. or idk, after thought???**
I also considered adding a small alternator if I go the linear actuator route, this tractor doesn't have a deck or will be getting one so it would be easy to run a single wire gm alternator to keep up with the electric load. If needed. I do eventually want to build a proper loader but if this cheap o build works well I may keep it that way.

Rebuilt carb and she is running even better. Up on the rack now, well my version, two heavy duty ATV ramps and some shoring. It just makes it easier to work on and see stuff while working from my wheelchair. The front axle has a good bit of play at the pivot and my tie rod is bent right where the threads start on the right side. I found a points cover online for a very reasonable price thanks to the help of another member providing me the proper part numbers on my wanted ad, this group is great for helping each other. I've met alot of really nice and helpful folks since I took an interest in these old cubs.
Would a 782 be any sort of upgrade for the front axle? Or just the spindles? I was thinking if it's bad enough that the repairs would equal the cost of up grading I may as well upgrade. I'm also considering an assist spring to help the hydro lift for the plow, it's pretty slow already and with the clam shell and some dirt I thought it might struggle. I'm going to be moving alot of dirt and topsoil in the next couple months. Since this old tractor is running nice again I've decided to fix all it needs and get it ready for work, and do some upgrades.

It needs new engine rubbers too. At least the left side I think. Before the tuneup I noticed it would rock pretty hard trying to start sometimes. Vibration doesn't really bother me much but extra noise does a little, so I was wondering if the solid type mounts make these noisier? Are the "upgraded" rubber bushings any better? Or should I just buckle down and buy the stockers? Theyre pricey but for a 45ish year old tractor they've lasted pretty good on this one in my opinion. I hated this quiet line for a good while but now I think we're done fighting and getting along well, 😆. I'm not real concerned about oem or keeping it original but any repairs or upgrades I want to be done right, and I don't want to make it junky looking, it's already going to be getting uglier when I make a custom seat to accommodate my wheelchair cushion and modify the left foot board. Any tips or tricks opinions or constructive criticism is welcome. I love learning, and being able to work on my own stuff. Thank you all for any ideas.

The 782 front axle and spindles are the same as your tractor. Some later Cyclops will have a "super steer" front axle design, which might be an improvement over what you have.

The 782 front axle and spindles are the same as your tractor. Some later Cyclops will have a "super steer" front axle design, which might be an improvement over what you have.
Thank you, I thought I had read somewhere that the spindles we're 1 inch instead of 3/4", but I may be mixing and confusing information. I wasn't sure at all if or what axle was an upgrade, I watched a video on YouTube a gentleman had the forward swept axle that had a much bigger pin for the spindle. He said it made it steer better because of the bigger pin instead of the small bolt. But if it's something as simple as just pincing it tight again with a bolt(my pivot is a bit sloppy and my tie rod is bent), I'm not going to buy any upgrades unless it's something that already needs fixed or if my parts are beyond repair. Depends which is more cost effective, if the upgrades are close in price to repair costs I will upgrade if it's way cheaper to just fix what I have I will fix it.

Has anyone switched dashes and hydro linkages from a quiet line to a 1x9? Or other dash with the directional lever on the left ? Would I need to switch the whole dash tower?

I switched my 129 over to the QL style dash and hydro linkages. And yes, you will need to switch the whole dash tower. Or figure out how to modify the original to work with the QL linkage.
I also kept the original PTO clutch which meant modifying the linkage to work with that. I used tubing and bushings to create new linkage to rotate around the PTO lever shaft.

I switched my 129 over to the QL style dash and hydro linkages. And yes, you will need to switch the whole dash tower. Or figure out how to modify the original to work with the QL linkage.
I also kept the original PTO clutch which meant modifying the linkage to work with that. I used tubing and bushings to create new linkage to rotate around the PTO lever shaft.
I prefer the directional lever on the left is my only reason, and it would free up a hand to work the hydro lever for the plow. Also I think my wife would like the foot control I saw on an isavetractors video. Noone wants to trade a QL for a 1x9 of equal condition so I figure I will make the QL what I want it to be, especially since I don't have much issue modifying it to make it what I need. The older ones I have a really hard time modifying even though for me to use any of them they need modifications.
Mainly I want to be able to keep the QL style lift lever but have the direction on the left and not gated or "z'd" like the QL.

May be easier to convert to foot control than change the dash tower and all the stuff that goes with it. Search for
Steve Bluiner as he had done a very nice write up on his conversion a few years back.

May be easier to convert to foot control than change the dash tower and all the stuff that goes with it. Search for
Steve Bluiner as he had done a very nice write up on his conversion a few years back.
I can't even use the foot control it would just be for my wife, I'm paraplegic, I just prefer the directional on left because of running backhoe for years before breaking my back. I might still do it for her but I might not.

If you can move the lift control to the left side, you probably wouldn't need to worry about a foot control. Having the lift right alongside the hydro control can and will eventually lead to grabbing the wrong control and launching yourself into a bush... ask me how I know. 🤪

If you can move the lift control to the left side, you probably wouldn't need to worry about a foot control. Having the lift right alongside the hydro control can and will eventually lead to grabbing the wrong control and launching yourself into a bush... ask me how I know. 🤪
😅 I was thinking the same thing lol. I had thought about just flipping the handle around it's already been welded back together and redrilled once. I'm using a bit of broken drill bit as a roll pin since my kit is currently MIA. I guess it's not like I'm going to be running a case 580 or anything bigger anymore anyway so I can just get used to the controls being opposite, would save time and money...

Ordered a new tie rod, the ends are still snug so I will reuse them for now.

For my south central Pennsylvania guys, Hoobers, on rt 11 in Chambersburg has hytran hydraulic fluid for about 26 bucks a gallon. Cheapest I've been able to find. Even shipped is cheaper than anywhere else for case ih hytran that I've seen.

My clam shell front scoop design is coming nicely.

I want to get the hydraulic fluid and filter changed before I hang any weight off the back to get in my way. Filter should be here Saturday, likely Saturday morning I will be going to Chambersburg to pick up a couple gallons of hytran.

Custom seat and some left side foot board mods and I can work this ol girl without having to tell anyone else how or what to do. Oh I also need to flip the lift lever to the other side and drill it for the pin to hold the linkage.

Hard to believe I was ready to burn this poor tractor down a couple months ago. Now I think I'd have a hard time letting it go.

Once you get it to where you want it, you'll appreciate it more.

Also, document your work - there are plenty other handicapped people that may utilize your ideas / changes for their own.
I'd really rather 1x7 or 1x9 but this is what I have, lol. It runs real good now. So I'm slowly going through and trying to make a good workhorse. I think the clamshell bucket on on the plow is going to be real nice for topsoil and mulch. I need to do a photo session tomorrow and get my pictures caught up.

I forgot to mention I ordered a points cover and new screws, after 10 dollar flat rate shipping still came in under 30 bucks. Pretty salty for a little piece of tin especially considering there's a complete 12 horse in new Providence for 50 bucks, but still better than the 50 bucks I see the covers advertised for used...
It blows my mind how cheap some stuff is for big heavy stuff and how expensive other stuff is for little dinky tin pieces that would seem not as important as the price says they are. I guess that's how it is with anything older, cars, bikes, trucks, trikes... Gotta pay to play I guess.

Back