Weak or no spark 1962 Model 70 original 47420

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Hi all just started to inspect my new project and somebody tried to get it running. New plug, points and fresh oil but I think they gave up because theirs no spark. I need to test the mag and condenser.
Thanks for any help

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Here's the schematic for an original with electric start:

217193-jpg.125620

gpapa

displayname
Papa
Can you ohm test the Magneto? Are all the ground connections shiny and tight? You can also check the resistance on the wiring and spark plug. I’ve gotten some defective new parts, new=never ever worked; so check them too. Good luck

Yes I did test the mag and all the grounds all checked fine except one side of the mag is dead and the epoxy coating is all broken and the condenser is questionable.
Thanks
D61D2560-1EAE-455D-89FF-60D2578A235B.jpeg

bjames

displayname
Bill James
I replaced my mag coil several years ago with this. You need to solder the plug wire to the loop and I think extend one of the wires.

Untitled8.jpg

bjames

displayname
Bill James
Great so theirs an exposed wire on the mag to solder to did you find a condenser?
Thanks for your help
There is a metal loop to solder to. I think I used my old condenser but here is a replacement. You may need to extend wire. It's been years ago and I don't remember.

Gary Hall

Banned
displayname
Fuddyduddy
A bad (open) condenser will cause a weak spark.
If your meter has a capacitor test function ones I've checked are about 0.22ufd to 0.47ufd.
I've had bad new ones.

Latest posts