• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Weak/no spark on my 149

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion Cottrell

Not sure if I knocked something loose during my pto rebuild! Checked and all my connections seem to be fine! The only electrical connections that I messed with was the starter generator ground and the voltage regulator ground wires! Needing a little help! Thanks!

If all the electrical connections are good, I would clean the points. If it has been a while since it was last run it's quite possible that the points have corroded and are not making good contact, or they are pitted and in need of replacing. They are fairly easy to check and clean.

If all the electrical connections are good, I would clean the points. If it has been a while since it was last run it's quite possible that the points have corroded and are not making good contact, or they are pitted and in need of replacing. They are fairly easy to check and clean.

I actually tilled my garden the day before I rebuilt the pto and started just fine!

Dion, if it started before you "messed" with wires backtracking seems to be the direction to take. What do you mean by s/g ground wire.? If it is 2 wire ??? 1 is field to regulator..1 is starter mode wire......Kraig is right about points and cond...

I would run a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil and start it up.. If it runs fine the problem is "upstream" between the coil and the ignition switch and if it still acts up the problem is "downstream" .. coil,points, condenser..

Hmm - well before I offer advice I'd really like to know - is it a weak spark or is it no spark?

Harry, he actually said nothing about spark just said it wouldn't start but it did the day before and then worked on it...then it would not...

The mention of "weak/no spark" is in the thread title...

I would run a jumper wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil and start it up.. If it runs fine the problem is "upstream" between the coil and the ignition switch and if it still acts up the problem is "downstream" .. coil,points, condenser..
I done that and it runs fine!

Dion, look at a wiring diagram and check all the wires that lead to the coil including regulator and starter gen wires.. Make shure all connections are corrosion free... including ground wires...

Dion - if it starts and runs fine when you jumper direct to the coil then I would suspect a problem with the key switch, or possibly one of the safety interlocks for the brake pedal and PTO. Sometimes those safety interlock switches wear and get real touchy, and then need just a slight adjustment.

Back