• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tractor Wanted Wanted to buy - decent condition narrow frame

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gprater

displayname
GPJ
After 35 years of owning as many as 10 of these tractors, I moved to the city and sold my last one two years ago. I am now building a new retirement house with a two acre lot down on the Mississippi Gulf coast and would like to buy a final IHCC for my retirement years. I am looking for a narrow frame with manual transaxle, 10 or 12 hp engine not in need of a rebuild, and decent mower deck. Cosmetics are not a primary concern, but I prefer something in good mechanical condition. Alternatively, I might consider a good-condition non-runner with a blown engine. I still have a low-hour K-181 engine that was a strong runner 30 year ago!

Something located in Kentucky, Mississippi, or along I-65 between Louisville and Mississippi would be convenient. Please shoot me a PM if you have a narrow frame you want to cull from your collection and send to a good home.

Welcome back GPJ! You never get over Yellow Fever.

Tell me about it, Jkoenig! I happen to live in the hometown of our beloved tractors. I'm a mechanical engineering professor at at the University of Louisville. I teach a couple of machine senior-level machine design courses, and I often assign design projects to my students that involve components or systems on these tractors. The students love looking at the hardware. It helps me pass along lessons about the importance of rugged, robust design, as well as some of the pride in American engineering and manufacturing that I feel.

I've attached a project from this spring that may resonate with some of the members. It requires my Machine Design I students to analyze the wear problem we see in narrow frames' steering spindle drag link arm and to formulate a redesign that solves it.

Some of the displays I supplied for the spindle redesign project. Any of you old-timers recognize that green thing in the photo?

20210318_160937.jpg

My work tractor for a quarter-century: a much modified Model 73:

IMG_1158.JPG

I had used a 125 for about 10 years. It was a nice tractor, but the fuel cost to mow two acres was eating me alive. I was saving a Model 73 and decided to use it instead. The K181 wasn't too happy about spinning a 42 inch deck going up hill, so I rebuilt a seized 10 hp I had picked up somewhere for 20 bucks. The extra two hp solved the power problem and the manual gearbox solved the fuel consumption problem!

I still have a box of old drafting supplies and templates. My compass and divider sets even have ink attachments!
That's truly impressive, John. I never earned my pay at a drafting board and only had a student starter set. I often find myself transferring a measurement and thinking, "I wish I had a set of dividers handy"!

The Green Thing... I think I still have 3 or 4 of them in a box somewhere. :cool:
I still have have a lot of old stencils lying around: you never know when you might need to draw an accurate ellipse! However, the one in the photo is a little special. It is an official IBM flowchart template. I bought it in 1979 in my Fortran programming class at Ohio State University (EG 200, I believe). Drafting quality stencils were ridiculously expensive 10 years ago; however, IBM sold these, probably at a loss, to students for less than a buck to assist them in their studies. Hard to believe: IBM used to be a real company making real products and investing in the engineering/technology base of our nation.

An interesting aside about EG 200. Our class was the last at OSU that used card punch machines to code our programs. We completed a deck, then took them to an attendant behind a counter who used a card reader send them to a mysterious IBM 360 sitting in isolated, air-conditioned comfort in another part of the building. Ten or 15 minutes later a coiled, rubber-banded printout on green-banded computer paper would appear in a slot labeled with the last two digits of our social security number. We would read it for the bad news (one fatal error or another), then go back to the keypunch machine, fish out the cards with the offending statements, punch replacements, and repeat the process. With luck you could do 2-3 iterations per hour.

Apologies for dragging you along on my trip down memory lane. Somehow, IH Cub Cadets and nostalgia seem to go hand-in-hand.

1667739582570.png
1667741213462.png

Attachments

• 1667739532121.png
    1667739532121.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1667741166765.png
    1667741166765.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 0
That's truly impressive, John. I never earned my pay at a drafting board and only had a student starter set. I often find myself transferring a measurement and thinking, "I wish I had a set of dividers handy"!
I get mine out and still use them from time to time. In college we learned with t squares and triangles then stepped up to the new fangled drafting machines! In the 80s during my teaching career, I remember we paid about 2k for a woefully slow cadapple program!

After 35 years of owning as many as 10 of these tractors, I moved to the city and sold my last one two years ago. I am now building a new retirement house with a two acre lot down on the Mississippi Gulf coast and would like to buy a final IHCC for my retirement years. I am looking for a narrow frame with manual transaxle, 10 or 12 hp engine not in need of a rebuild, and decent mower deck. Cosmetics are not a primary concern, but I prefer something in good mechanical condition. Alternatively, I might consider a good-condition non-runner with a blown engine. I still have a low-hour K-181 engine that was a strong runner 30 year ago!

Something located in Kentucky, Mississippi, or along I-65 between Louisville and Mississippi would be convenient. Please shoot me a PM if you have a narrow frame you want to cull from your collection and send to a good home.
Good morning sir I live in Long Beach Ms and I have a 1969 international Harvester 124 with rebuilt engine low hours runs strong has new battery well maintained
I really need to sale I have it listed in the for sale section just let me know ASAP Thank You God Bless You 🙏

Something located in Kentucky, Mississippi, or along I-65 between Louisville and Mississippi would be convenient. Please shoot me a PM if you have a narrow frame you want to cull from your collection and send to a good home.for sa

It's For Sale $600

Attachments

• IMG_20221002_172443887_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221002_172443887_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I still have have a lot of old stencils lying around: you never know when you might need to draw an accurate ellipse! However, the one in the photo is a little special. It is an official IBM flowchart template. I bought it in 1979 in my Fortran programming class at Ohio State University (EG 200, I believe). Drafting quality stencils were ridiculously expensive 10 years ago; however, IBM sold these, probably at a loss, to students for less than a buck to assist them in their studies. Hard to believe: IBM used to be a real company making real products and investing in the engineering/technology base of our nation.

Apologies for dragging you along on my trip down memory lane. Somehow, IH Cub Cadets and nostalgia seem to go hand-in-hand.
Memory Lane, sometimes it's a great place to be! The stencils, Fortran, IBM all good memories! I was "playing" in Motorola Modicon and IBM clones back then... having Bill Gates call me a thief was a badge of honor! Then, and now..

the green thing is manual transmission Autocad with no power steering. used one many times. i still have one along with the 3 sided white ruler and a bunch of colored pencils circa 1988.

I've had no responses to my request for available narrow frames. Surely somebody needs a little cash to pay off Christmas bills! The tractor could have a bad engine (I have a good K181 sitting around). A deck would be nice, but I am basically looking for a manual gearbox tractor to pull trailers on slopes steep enough to kill modern JD hydrostatic transmissions. Thanks!

Last edited:
I've had no responses to my request for available narrow frames. Surely somebody needs a little cash to pay off Christmas bills! The tractor could have a bad engine (I have a good K181 sitting around). A deck would be nice, but I am basically looking for a manual gearbox tractor to pull trailers on slopes steep enough to kill modern JD hydrostatic transmissions. Thanks!
Did you see Terry posted a 124 above back in November?

Back