• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

volt reg issues on 108

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off use the 108 wiring diagram for testing. Do this test on the sg, remove belt, turn the key and ground the f term for a moment, if it is charging the sg should slow down.
Report back with your results...

Last edited:
Lewis, I've done that also..it's good..... I have a dia.and have looked at every exposed wire,they all seem to be right....I just took a working reg. from another tractor even that no charge at batt .I'm taking 4 s/g to my elec. repair friend...All I can say is I'm not the first owner but I won't give up if it means a complete rewire.....thanks for the response..

Lewis, took 4 s/g to friend who repairs such..3 tested fine and hooked to my reg showed charge..so it's back to wiring...continuity doesnt guarentee a sold wire. I'm going to make up a jumper long enough to reach any where on machine and one at a time isolate this until I find the culprit...ground strap ,there isn't one in front but the starter side works fine so... Some cubs have a ground on s/g bracket

You'd probably be time and money ahead to replace the whole harness. The insulation on those harnesses does not age well, and is likely crumbling everywhere. If one wire is bad they are probably all bad to some degree.

There should be a large gage wire from the front S/G mount bolt to ground according to the parts lookup wire diagram.
It grounds to one of the grill shell bolts to the frame, just like the Q/L does for the gear drive starter.

If you have swapped out all those parts several times with the same results, it probably is in the wiring. Double check and clean all connections. Also, as others have stated, make sure all grounds are there and grounded solid.
I would bet the issue is one connection that is not connected good or is not a clean connection.
I have seen issues on equipment where the battery cable was just barely loose on the battery post. Tightened it up, and the problems went away.
Just check everything from one end to the other, and you will probably find it. There is only about 30 connections on the whole tractor (including grounds), so it shouldn't take all that long to check.

After all the input an explanation is forthcoming... Remember the machine did not chg when I first got it running....mounted verified s/g and reg. no chg...replaced every wire in the system ..no chg..,remember the starter worked fine...I had removed and brushed clean ground and pos cables... I decided to replace ground cable because it was red also..after removing bolt to frame much to my surprise the mounting ring stayed on the bolt..There couldn't have been more than a.020 bright spot that was holding it on inside the rubber wrap.Why the starter worked I don't know..replaced grd cable ...checked volt running, pushing 14 by checking from bat.post on reg to grd...amp guage still not showing any...replaced amp gauge and all systems go......not all amp gauges are the same ..some are marked pos and neg..some are not marked.. some are reversed in markings....unless amp is hooked correctly even starter won't engage thru key....moral of the story just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's good...I'll add to test a s/g ..remove belt touch start side(not field) with pos jumper and let it get up speed...remove pos.and touch field post with grd...it should very quickly slow down if it is working......If your replacing a reg mounted in the back where batt is..do yourself a favor and remove right rear tire..those reg mounting bolts are hell to get at.....whew!!!

Back