• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

volt reg issues on 108

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
I'm looking for electrical experience input...108 not charging ...I've pulled reg.Every wire connection on this machine is rusted or corroded..After cleaning all connections and looking up wire diagram in my 122 book. It appears to be same reg except it has a resistor on it .I have zero knowledge/experience so don't know how to test etc.but manual says it reduces pitting in points of reg..I have yet to see a new one with resistor on it. I have changed a few on others,again no resistor....I find no burns inside it looks clean and manual says .020 on points ..feedback please !!!

Attachments

• 100_1627.JPG
    100_1627.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
To test the resistance of the resistor is extremely easy. Just unscrew both ends off the voltage regulator and turn your volt/ohm meter to read ohms, and put a lead on each end. This will tell you the amount of resistance you have from each end. However, resistors are typically labeled with color coded bands so you can identify the amount of resistance they are supposed to have. I have never dealt with one that doesn't have the bands for identification. Unless the service manual tells you how much resistance it's supposed to have, it'll be tough to know if it's good or not. Hopefully the manual, or someone here can tell you the value of that particular resistor, I however, can't.

Does it have 3-4 numbers and a letter? If so, there is your value. If you Google how to identify a resistor with numbers, you find find a good explanation of how to decode it, better than I can explain it anyways. Then, once you know what is supposed to be, you can test your to see if it's good.

I'm looking for electrical experience input...108 not charging ...I've pulled reg.Every wire connection on this machine is rusted or corroded..After cleaning all connections and looking up wire diagram in my 122 book. It appears to be same reg except it has a resistor on it .I have zero knowledge/experience so don't know how to test etc.but manual says it reduces pitting in points of reg..I have yet to see a new one with resistor on it. I have changed a few on others,again no resistor....I find no burns inside it looks clean and manual says .020 on points ..feedback please !!!
Pitch that sucker and buy another one. Your playin with fire with that junker.

Digger, I always appreciate input and that was my first inclination..but I'm actually trying to learn something here as well because I've never seen a resistor on any tractor I've ever worked on .
And you prolly won't see another one that some goof jury rigged up. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

That resistor does not belong on there. No sense trying to figure out the resistance value- somebody cobbled that on there.

Time for a new voltage regulator...

Matt/Digger, as always I will heed your advice.Thanks for the replies...I am,however going to wonder why it was on there and on the ground...???
I have much to learn about electronics but seeing that kind of rust on my v/r I'm ditching it. Bought my 102 last Spring. It had been cared for and still, there was solid rust at the solenoid. Replaced it as you know. Again, I have much to learn but when you plug in a charger on yer 108, where's the current going? Is there a danger of fire?
Cheers, Jack

There is usually a large wire wound resistor mounted to the bottom of the Regulator. This is inserted into the Field Coil circuit by the voltage regulator relay opening to reduce the voltage output of the Generator. Being mounted externally to the Regulator they are vulnerable. I would guess someone busted the original one and tried to fix it with an add-on replacement. For a 12V system the fixed resistance should be 7 ohms.

Try looking at a few of the Delco-Remy bulletins on this site:
https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/...ory?id=5&sid=3faf6771ca5d94c0cd7e714424222767

ok guys admitting to my elec. weakness is easy but this has me concerned about my abilities..I am missing something...108 not charging ..have tried 3 s/g that were ok,new reg but different wire hookups so positive I got them right..also tried 2 old ones..tried 2 amp guages and meters as well...no juice to batt...first amp barely moved, second flops back and forth a lot....continuity on all wires is good as well...what am I missing ????

Get a volt meter to measure the battery voltage when running, should 14 volts or so.

Back