• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Upgrade

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2B81FB23-C7E7-4D5D-8FF7-2E81CDE223E2.jpeg

Have it stripped to the short block now. To this point it don’t appear that it has ever been apart since new. Cylinder shows very little wear as far as “ring” lip at top of cylinder. However there is some light scuffing on the exhaust valve side.

Valves Still sitting up like there is very little if any “valve recession”. Overall for something of this age, & who knows what kind of care it had. The old engine appears to be in way better shape than I had hoped for.
The remaining oil was in horrible looking black condition, but almost no mucky sludge in valve box or oil pan.
AE18E6C6-78BC-4072-82C2-6816BFFE0705.jpeg

One other word of advice, check the hub closely on the starter pulley/pto clutch basket, that hub is just swaged or staked on, and it routinely transmits full engine HP to the mower deck, snow blower, anything pto powered, but the fact the hub is loose will be most evident while starting the engine and the starter spins but the engine doesn't. I've had two slip, my 72 and 129 I sold 16 years ago, both now welded, as is my 70.

Actually it will be round 3. Had it all lined up ready to adjust once & realized I needed to install the bearing snap ring. Of course an interruption or 2 later I was rushing. Haste makes waste I guess.

It’s only been 15+ years since I done this LOL. Back then I had a dip tank to remove paint & grease, & a glass bead cabinet to make things look new again. OH well I’m not restoring the finish on my tractor. So all I’m doing is restoring mechanical items. & will do a bit of touch up with a spray bomb on the engine before final install.

Rather than take it apart to line it up, I believe that you can use a three jaw puller to depress the center button and thus release the tension enough to rotate the friction disc into alignment with the set screw holes. I seem to recall doing this with the last one that I rebuilt.

I
Rather than take it apart to line it up, I believe that you can use a three jaw puller to depress the center button and thus release the tension enough to rotate the friction disc into alignment with the set screw holes. I seem to recall doing this with the last one that I rebuilt.
I agree a 3 jaw puller should work. I have already loosened the bolts, moved friction disk, & readjusted the clutch.

Back