• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Unknown Cub Cadet With Problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a 71, at least that's what it looks like to me.......Need better picks from all four sides. Pic of the sn tag from rear end would be helpful too!
Interesting. Everyone seems to have an idea of this tractor being something other than what it says, which I did not expect. I will get some better pics as soon as I can.

122 did not have the round rear fenders!

But the 122 hood and front grill are the same as the 71, except for the decals... so it could be a 71 with the wrong hood?

or a 122 with the wrong rear fenders.
:scratchhead:
This seems to be getting more and more interesting. I will get the serial number as soon as I can and maybe the story will unfold more.
I am a little hesitant to think it was pieced together by a bunch of different tractors, because the guy that owned it was such a loser, I feel like he would have drove it around without a hood before buying a hood off of something else.
I have a similar tractor also on the property that is a sears and I haven't looked at it much yet, I figure it is less valuable being a sears, but surely he didn't switch sears parts onto the cub. They both look complete.
I saw a diagram on the internet (ehich could be totally unreliable of course) but it showed round fenders between 1960 and 1965. But that might be for only a 71 or some other cub.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200614-230727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200614-230727_Chrome.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 212
The ID trick will probably be in the serial number of the TRACTOR, not the motor. (That's a nice set of pictures, but the serial number of the motor which you show is not the the clue to answering your question just yet) So to find this you need a scotch-bright or steel wool or really fine emery paper in hand.

Then on the RHS of the gearbox just behind the footrest should be a raised portion. Not engraved as part of the casting, but STAMPED onto a small raised portion that's machined flat, and often unpainted.. that's where the scotch-bright is needed with a bit of gentle careful rubbing to expose the View attachment 138841stamped numbers.

Try here. International Harvester Cub Cadet FAQ, Digger and or others on the forum has a while set of pics on where to find the number but I cant find that just at this moment so I've annotated a pic of one of mine
Digger and others have buttons at the top of the site page, and with coffee to hand make a wonderful covid stay at home distraction.

With that serial number in hand you try here. ( there are more details lists but for now this will narrow the options.
View attachment 138842
Thanks for the helpful info! You guys are great! I will get a serial number as soon as possible. Just out of curiosity, if it is a 122 and not a 71 or something smaller, does that indicate a more valuable tractor or is it kinda opposite (like long bed trucks are less valuable than short beds)

The round fenders AND the low tunnel are the giveaway that it's a 71. You could have round fenders on a 122 with some modification but it would still have a tall tunnel. Note the tunnel height on the 122 vs the 71 in these brochure photos.

123_Brochure03a.jpg

71Datasheet1a.jpg
122mower-a.jpg

The round fenders AND the low tunnel are the giveaway that it's a 71. You could have round fenders on a 122 with some modification but it would still have a tall tunnel. Note the tunnel height on the 122 vs the 71 in these brochure photos.

Nice catch Kraig!
I did not know about or notice that!
I have been schooled.....Thank you!

edit> but to be fair I have no series 1 or 2 IHCC's

Thanks for the helpful info! You guys are great! I will get a serial number as soon as possible. Just out of curiosity, if it is a 122 and not a 71 or something smaller, does that indicate a more valuable tractor or is it kinda opposite (like long bed trucks are less valuable than short beds)

They would be about the same value. And I am 100% certain that it is a 71 and not a 122. Engine swaps and hood swaps are easy. No one in their right mind would swap out just the tunnel as it is spot welded to the frame. May as well swap out the entire frame and seeing as the frame is the dominant part in my mind, it's still a 71.

This seems to be getting more and more interesting. I will get the serial number as soon as I can and maybe the story will unfold more.
I am a little hesitant to think it was pieced together by a bunch of different tractors, because the guy that owned it was such a loser, I feel like he would have drove it around without a hood before buying a hood off of something else.
I have a similar tractor also on the property that is a sears and I haven't looked at it much yet, I figure it is less valuable being a sears, but surely he didn't switch sears parts onto the cub. They both look complete.
I saw a diagram on the internet (ehich could be totally unreliable of course) but it showed round fenders between 1960 and 1965. But that might be for only a 71 or some other cub.

The first square fender models were the 102, 122 and 123 from what we (here on the forum) refer to as the 1x2/3 series (or sometimes as the 71-1x2/3 series). They made round fender models and squared fender models through the 1x6/7 series, with the model 73 being the last of the round fender models, it's sister models would be the 106, 107, 126, 127 and the 147 (73-1x6/7 series). All the round fender models had the low tunnel. The Original was unique in most details.

It’s definitely a round fender tractor square fenders fit over the taller frame and that one is shorter. I’d say it’s a 71 that’s had a bigger engine put in it .

A 73 would also have the Z shaped grille.
My money is also on the 71 with a 122 replacement engine and 122 hood (or decals). It is very hard to confuse Kraig. LOL!
The foot rests on the 71 are like the 70/100 series, but the dash tower on the 71 is deeper and wider than the 70/100.

I do have a 122 that I restored for my dad. It is still at mom's house. I just haven't brought it home yet.
This is a 122 with a 102 seat on it. I have the correct seat, but it needs restoring.
Notice the high tunnel and square fenders with the larger foot rests bolted to them.

122:

DSCF4158 copy.jpg

DSCF4152 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, I'm agreeing with Kraig. To me since it's doesn't have the front Quick Attach latches on the front of the lower frame and it has the lower tunnel over the center part of the frame, then it's gotta be a 71 with a replacement 12hp Kohler K301, along with a 12hp style gas tank. (It can't be a 102 or 122 backwards converted to round fenders because they have the taller tunnel cover over the center part of the frame). I can't really see the hood decals in the pic he posted but sounds like someone just added a few of the numbers from a 122 decal set. By the way, I checked the engine serial number 4108184 and see it was built in 1972.

Okay so I went today to mess with it. I put a new fuel strainer on it and got it running.
Took me a while to find out that this tractor is positive ground, not sure if it is supposed to be or not, but that was the reason for not getting spark, I had it wired positive to the coil.
Anyways, I took more pics and looked for the serial number. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the serial number on this tractor is missing. I looked in what seemed to be the spot that one of the guys on here said to look at, but no dice. I found the part number of the transmission stamped into it, but I just could not find a serial number.
They said the number would be on a small raised portion, I found a small raised portion that was about a 3/4 inch square, but it was completely blank and painted.
I spoke with some family members and they agreed that the guy that owned it wouldn't have taken the time to put a different hood/engine on it, but didn't rule out the idea that he could have bought it off of someone that did.
From the family's memory, they think he bought it new but cannot be positive. I hate to be hesitant that it is a bunch of different tractors put into one, but it just doesn't make much sense.
Here are the pictures I took, maybe y'all can draw some new conclusions with this.

Attachments

• 20200618_140222.jpg
    20200618_140222.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200618_140646.jpg
    20200618_140646.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 20200618_140534.jpg
    20200618_140534.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20200618_140718.jpg
    20200618_140718.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 20200618_140755.jpg
    20200618_140755.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200618_140808.jpg
    20200618_140808.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 20200618_140750.jpg
    20200618_140750.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200618_140742.jpg
    20200618_140742.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 270
  • 20200618_140729.jpg
    20200618_140729.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200618_140725.jpg
    20200618_140725.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 268
Glad to hear you got it running. It is a model 71 with a 122 motor and # 122 decals. They probably picked up a couple of 122 decal numbers when they put the 12 hp. engine in the tractor, and replaced the #71 with them.

I would take those fender reflectors and rear grote tail light off and carefully clean them up. They are hard to find, and expensive if you do find them.

Your third pic shows where the serial # is more than likely at.
Sand to remove the paint from that small block to see if the number is there. The numbers were stamped, and may be real faint and hard to see without a flashlight. Another place is in the same area to the right of the block near the front face of the tranny. This area will need to be sanded some also to reveal the number.
Here is a pic of where to look:

100 s#.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it running. It is a model 71 with a 122 motor and # 122 decals. They probably picked up a couple of 122 decal numbers when they put the 12 hp. engine in the tractor, and replaced the #71 with them.

I would take those fender reflectors and rear grote tail light off and carefully clean them up. They are hard to find, and expensive if you do find them.

Your third pic shows where the serial # is more than likely at.
Sand to remove the paint from that small block to see if the number is there. The numbers were stamped, and may be real faint and hard to see without a flashlight. Another place is in the same area to the right of the block near the front face of the tranny. This area will need to be sanded some also to reveal the number.
Here is a pic of where to look:

View attachment 138945
Awesome, I will do that tomorrow. I will be on a search and rescue probably all day so it might be dark when I get done. Thanks for the info. Not sure what I want to do with this tractor. Should I part it out? Sell the whole thing for idk a few hundred dollars? I don't really know it's worth.

I agree with Marty's diagnosis of potential model number, First with a flashlight at a shallow angle shine on the raised block in your third picture and later to the left of the position Marty is pointing his pen to and if there are any indentations gently sand that block. all the early CC's I've seen had the numbers

STAMPED onto that
CC100 stamped serial number.jpg

block and as Marty indicated it could be a little ahead of that on the engine side.

Note that the number will probably be in the range of 5-6 digits ( mine is 102698 but all you can see in this bad image is the 98 part Dec 1964 build, ) so based on the tables below and previously sent you can read off what the original build was (70 or 100 most likely), then off this table the month and year of that original build.
DONT be put off by the current appearance, these are hardy beasts and the yellow fever will soon get under your skin, strip down to bare components, (take lots of pictures during the strip down, but they are so intuitive....) sandblast or paint strip, de-rust and prime quickly, paint codes and all the rest are readily available and its a fun challenge .... and fun to teach the kid(s)/grandkids

none of the ones that came this side of the pond seem to have had fenders so I'm envious!
IMG-20121205-00216.jpgIMG-20121205-00215.jpgIMG-20121205-00213.jpg

later on the you can establish what the engine is, it looks as if it has been replaced and possibly also body parts and or decals now calling it a 122.

But start with establishing what the original tractor was and then tackle the engine number /model to figure out the mods that have happened.

I nice find none the less

save these tables they come in handy
1592556351424.png

1592556375543.png

Latest posts

Back