- Jul 19, 2010
- Farmville, North Carolina
- Jeremiah Chamberlin
When I first posted on this site I was greeted By Frank A. Currier (Northern Maine) (Fcurrier) on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 09:34 pm:
[who commented in part]
"He posted it the right area, but what a confuguliation he bought! Let's see if he makes a second post, here."
(If it makes you feel better, Frank, I didn't pay anything for the tractor, I just had to pick it up.)
As Myron Bounds soon pointed out, my 782 was manufactured by Cub Cadet Corporation in 1983 and shipped to the IH dealer in Kinston, NC near my home. So I hadn't actually posted in the right area, I should have been re-directed to the CCC/MTD section. But Charlie has let me continue posting since then to solve the immediate engine crisis and to continue to learn about Cub Cadets, how they work, and how to fix them.
To refresh everyone's memory, the 782 as I bought it was configured, er "confuguliated," with a 16 HP Briggs & Stratton engine (pictures coming later) and a 46" deck off an MTD mower which had originally been painted black. The immediate crisis was that the engine had blown, and has only now been replaced with a Kohler Magnum 18, the recommendation of many on this site. I'm going to get into the topic of the engine swap later.
I'm also not going to bore you with my efforts at undoing 20 years of "quick fixes" to the wiring, or how to rig up a magneto fired motor to chassis wiring --and switch-- designed for a battery ignition system, that topic has been covered well by others.
Neither am I going to rant and rave about the lack of support I find at my local IH dealer (not the one that originally sold the tractor). We are all too familiar with frustrations on this point.
The tractor pictured above is actually the result of TWO YEARS of hard work spent trying to get everything to work as it should. I choose to cover, as my first task on the rehabilitation, resusitation, and renewal of my 782, the repair of the steering and especially the front axle.
I then plan to detail work soon to be completed in the following areas:
1. Engine Swap / Driveline Renew
2. Hydrostatic Transmission Adjust/Repair
3. Headlight Circuit Diagnosis / Repair
When these tasks are finished the tractor will be returned to service for this year's (2011) mowing season. At the end of this season or next, the tractor will be "split" and painted bottom to top.
There may be some other "improvements" added along the way, but until I can get my 149 restored and working, the 782 will be my main tractor.