• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

TV CONVERTER BOX COUPON PROGRAM

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharvey

displayname
Jerry Harvey "Nines are wild"
Got my coupons today. Anyone have your converter box yet and which model is the one to have? Good points/bad points?
JH

Jerry, if you didnt yet, Google 'digital converter box' and look at some various sites. I,m just starting on this stuff. Wondering if it will give me digital channels off my cable.

Allen
Along with the coupons there is a list of 34 approved boxes and three retailers in my city. I was curious if anyone else has been thrugh this exercise and could save me some running around.
I have at least one low power analog station that will remain on the air after the switchover so I want a box that will pass that thru when the box is turned off. I'll post when I get something purchased and know if it's a good one.
JH

Jerry - How long did it take to get your coupons? I think I ordered/requested mine in early January, but haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering...
dunno.gif

For those who haven't requested your coupons yet - (see info here)- make sure hardware is available in your area, as the coupons are only good for 90 days from the day they mail them to you, per the rules..(Rules: here)
Good luck!! (hope the $60.00 converters work better than the $225.00 standalone Samsung tuner I've had for about a year). I sould add that we've bought two new LG digital LCDs and the tuners in both of them are great...

We have Dish Network now, they took away everything that even remotely resembles local programing now we have those stupid rabbit ears which barely pull in our local station 20 miles away.

KentucK:
I put up a "dish" (DirecTV) in '94 - we were one of the first to get a receiver after the pilot testing was over. We moved to DISH when the RCA receiver lost it's audio and DirecTV didn't want to get interested until I canceled them...so, I've already put up a dish - and to tell you the truth I still get better programming a lot of the time from the local OTA network affiliates, hence my interest in OTA HDTV.. (satellite programming is pretty much "66 channels and nuthin' to watch" as somebody put it.....)

I don't have cable or a satellite dish, nor do I want either of them, I like the OTA channels. Don;t really watch much broadcast TV other then the local news, much prefer DVDs. I recently bought an LCD flat panel TV with a built in digital tuner, my old 25" tube TV was having issues and I figured it was a good time to upgrade. I also recently bought a DVD/VCR combo recorder and because it has a DVD recorder it also has a digital tuner built in, I believe that any new DVD recorder has to have a digital tuner built in. If you like to record programs to watch later this may be a better option then the digital tuner only. I don't think the coupons are good toward the recorder however....

I have wondered how are we suppose to know if our TV's have analog or digital tuners? You here allot about these boxes but are they really necessary? It would be nice if they would broadcast a digital only station so we could test our tv's. The station could broadcast a image that says "If you see this image your tv is digital ready". I know that just because your TV is not HD doesn't mean its not digital. I think if you can select cable or antenna in your TV setup then its digital.

Terry, there are digital only broadcasts, if you have a digital tuner you will see them.

Digital isn't all it's cracked up to be and SHOULDN'T be mandatory UNTIL they have the bugs out !!

I've had satellite since the early 80's. I'm on DISH Network now (14 years) and I went to HD this year. The HD channels go black. Sometimes I get audio with no video. Sometimes it'll go all dead just while you're watching something good.

I believe it was Kendell that pointed out some time ago that during storms the digital signals go all "pixelated" and you can't see the image or hear the audio while analog signals may exhibit a bit of static but are still watchable. Not good during severe thunderstorms if you want to track a storm on radar.
yikes.gif
There are a few digital channels that don't come in even on clear days for me, though I'm not sure where they are broadcast from. The main channels all come in nice and clear. I bought the TV last fall after the thunderstorm season. I have yet to see how good or bad the digital signals are during a thunderstorm but I don't have long to wait now....
uhoh.gif

Greg
I applied Jan. 4 08 and got them yesterday.
Because of the 90 day limit they won't mail them until someone in your area has them for sale.
Ken
We have Directv but after this last increase we're gonna drop it. Maybe start up again next fall?

Kraig - It does it every day/night. I still have a 10 foot fiberglass dish that I thought about putting up and putting the DISH electronics on it. Bigger/more signal catcher ;)

Kraig,
I figured that, however which ones are digital and which ones are not? If you don't know if you have a digital TV you wouldn't know that you can't see something that your TV cant receive.
screwloose.gif

I always hear about people having having satelite TV issues (storms ,trees, etc) I have cable for TV internet & phone. Rarely goes out. Since I've had high-speed internet, I couldn't live without it. I rarely watch what is on broadcast TV except the news. I prefer history channel, sports etc. Course you don't want to what my bill is.

Terry, if your TV displays the channel, say 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 and so on the digital channels are displayed as 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 9-1 and so on. Also the digital channels are usually broadcast in widescreen.

Terry:
What Kraig said, except a lot of the extra channels and even the main channels are still standard def and won't be widescreen..The TV manufacturers aren't hiding the digital capabilities under a basket - I'm real sure that if you bought a TV in the last three years or so and the tuner was digital capable, it would say so on the TV - or in the user's manual... note that all TVs <u>shipped</u> since March of 2007 had to have a digital tuner (note shipped, not sold....).

As far as cable versus satellite, we get outages on our cable (all we use it for is Internet access) and on our satellite also. The satellite outages are usually of a few minutes at the most and happen very seldom. The cable outages are few , about the same as the satellite, but the outages are usually hours at a minimum and it's not unusual for the outage to be days in length, while they restring the cable ( we're out in the country and the cable uses the power line right-of-ways, which the power company cleans every 15 years or whenever needed...)
bash.gif

Latest posts

Back